Quantcast

qr20 vs.standard dropout,what effect does this have on steering?

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
does the additional offset of the qr20 marzos have a noticable effect on the feel of the steering?would it help eliminate the "floppy" effect you get with slacker head angles?(due to the reduction in trail)

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by htrdoug
does the additional offset of the qr20 marzos have a noticable effect on the feel of the steering?would it help eliminate the "floppy" effect you get with slacker head angles?(due to the reduction in trail)
I understand the question, but do they really have more offset?
I think the crown has a less pronounced curve to it that puts the legs not so far forward of the head tube as on a standard fork (looking at my Manitou here...)

Reduction in trail would let the fork tend to track straighter, and with a slack angle that would lend itself to stability over nimbleness, which is what most QR20 fans are after anyway...:D

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20

I understand the question, but do they really have more offset?
I think the crown has a less pronounced curve to it that puts the legs not so far forward of the head tube as on a standard fork (looking at my Manitou here...)

Reduction in trail would let the fork tend to track straighter, and with a slack angle that would lend itself to stability over nimbleness, which is what most QR20 fans are after anyway...:D
the reason that I ask is that when I put my FSR into the slacker position of the rear suspension adjustment I do get more stability at higher speeds but if I negotiate a low speed corner that requires more handlebar turning than about 15 degrees the front wheel flops to the inside like a chopper from the sixties.Marzo sells the qr20 lowers for my jr-t which would mean I'd be using the same crowns.I can't go to a dealer and check one out myself because there are absolutely none that I have seen in so. Indiana

G

gravity

what sort of FSR is it? i'm guessing an Enduro something? cos it sounds to me like the fork you have on it is too long, maybe you should be using a Z.1 instead, to sharpen the head angle. do you happen to know what the head angle on your bike is?

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Originally posted by gravity
what sort of FSR is it? i'm guessing an Enduro something? cos it sounds to me like the fork you have on it is too long, maybe you should be using a Z.1 instead, to sharpen the head angle. do you happen to know what the head angle on your bike is?
Oh yea, it's too long,a jr-t on a 2001 fsr enduro,(set at about six inches travel)actually the steering is great in the steeper position on the rear link,I was mainly curious if the different offset is enough to notice.The bike does corner better in the slacker setting,(unless you turn the bars beyond a certain amount) but I think that's due to the lower bottom bracket.