Quantcast

question about bike washing

laxincubus311

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
East cost
every one said not to spray water on fully frames casue they rust the bearing, but my turner has bushings so can i use a high powered water hose. thanks

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Originally posted by laxincubus311
every one said not to spray water on fully frames casue they rust the bearing, but my turner has bushings so can i use a high powered water hose. thanks
After you wash your bike, just remove the bearings, dry them off and put everything back together. Thats what I do..

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
a "pressure washer" or even a hose has no right being near a bike unless you plan on overhauling it after. Same goes for WD40!

it's not just your frame stuff the water gets into. It's also the wheel barrings and BB and Headset and even in the shock. DON"T SPRAY YOUR BIKE TO CLEAN IT. just use a bucket and some soapy water or buy a bottle of "bike wash" from a shop.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by laxincubus311
Water can get in the bushings, too...not that it'll corrode the teflon, but it's not good to get water droplets mixing in with the grease. Plus, there are a million other places than the pivots where you shouldn't be using a high pressure hose, like Kai said. You shouldn't even wash hardtails with a high pressure hose.

MD

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by MikeD
Water can get in the bushings, too...not that it'll corrode the teflon, but it's not good to get water droplets mixing in with the grease. Plus, there are a million other places than the pivots where you shouldn't be using a high pressure hose, like Kai said. You shouldn't even wash hardtails with a high pressure hose.

MD
arent there grease nipples?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by zedro
arent there grease nipples?
mmm, nipples...there are indeed. However, you do have to remove the shock to reach the rocker arm pivot nipple, so it's kind of a chore.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
When i wash my bike, i use a hose with no nozzle on the end. Ill put my thumb on the end, to get some pressure only to the main frame tubes if they are muddy, otherwise ill just use a very low pressure to get the bike wet, then wipe it down with some paper towels. Ive never had a single problem doing it this was

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I spray my bike lightly with a hose about once a week and dry with a towel. Then about 2-3 times a year I take it all apart and regrease everything. I have never had a problem. After a good mud ride I spray it off completely and regrease it.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
mmm, nipples...there are indeed. However, you do have to remove the shock to reach the rocker arm pivot nipple, so it's kind of a chore.
theres always some kinda contraption that makes getting to the nipples tedious. Nipples should always be easily accessible.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
It's funny that if you ask any group of people about this they will all say that you should never ever, ever, (really, ever, ever) take a hose to your bike, yet every day when I'm done riding at Whistler I see almost everyone put their bike up on the supplied washing stand and spray it down with a hose.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by crashing_sux
It's funny that if you ask any group of people about this they will all say that you should never ever, ever, (really, ever, ever) take a hose to your bike, yet every day when I'm done riding at Whistler I see almost everyone put their bike up on the supplied washing stand and spray it down with a hose.
not I

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by crashing_sux
You can use a hose, but the high pressure car-wash jobbies really aren't a good idea IMHO. A normal garden hose without a high pressure nozzle, used judiciously, doesn't seem to be too big of a deal for most of us, tho.

MD

You can use a hose, but the high pressure car-wash jobbies really aren't a good idea IMHO. A normal garden hose without a high pressure nozzle, used judiciously, doesn't seem to be too big of a deal for most of us, tho.

MD
Ok, so what about us poor saps that live in apartments with no access to a hose?

I have a do-it-yourself carwash around the corner. If it's been a really dirty session, I'll pop in and use it. I just keep the nozzle far away and give it a nice little "misty" shower. Wipe it off with towel and re-grease the drivetrain when I get home.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by surfinguru
Ok, so what about us poor saps that live in apartments with no access to a hose?
Hey, do what you like...just stating my opinion...in the end, if you're careful, you're probably just as well off as anyone else. I'd use a bucket and brush before I'd pay to use a carwash, tho.

MD

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I spray off my bike, then coat it all over with simple green. Go off and do whatever for a couple minutes, come back, then spray off.

Friends and I have been using it on dirt bikes and bikes for a long time. I don't see the problem?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I laugh when I see people using Simple Green. Just use water. The Simple green will break down the grease in your bearing and such. Terrible way to lclean your bike. Just spray lightly with water and completely wipe the bike down.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I don't see the big deal... my friend has been doin it with his dirt bike for a loooong time. And there's got to be a lot more greasable parts in a motorcycle than a regular bike. I guess as long as you perform regular maintenance you're ok. How much much worse can it be than regular soap?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I use a creme rinse and moisturizer afterwards, in any case...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I use a creme rinse and moisturizer afterwards, in any case...
I find Oil of Olay gentle cleansing face soap gives your bike that healthy glow...

Hey, do what you like...just stating my opinion...in the end, if you're careful, you're probably just as well off as anyone else. I'd use a bucket and brush before I'd pay to use a carwash, tho.

MD
Yo, MD, not flaming ya at all. Just wanted to see how many other guys are in the same boat as me. I'm pretty on top of the bike maintenance, so it's not that big of a deal. So far, the only real issue I've come across would be the rear derailer cabling. Seems like a little bit of water gets into the housing causing it to get harder to shift after a while. Guess a little shot of lub in there wouldn't hurt at this point.