Quantcast

Question about school nowadays

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
My wife was telling me that she heard that schools don't teach cursive writing anymore... Is this true? They were citing this as part of the reason they had to extend the time for the SAT's by 45 mins....(now that there's and essay).

But has cursive writing really gone away??

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
haha

my school didn't teach me cursive, or at least i barely picked it up and can't recall its use ever being enforced. hasn't ever kept me from finishing an essay in time tho...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
MMike said:
My wife was telling me that she heard that schools don't teach cursive writing anymore... Is this true? They were citing this as part of the reason they had to extend the time for the SAT's by 45 mins....(now that there's and essay).

But has cursive writing really gone away??
My school taught me cursive like really anally. We did so much of it. As soon as I hit highschool they said we didn;t have to write in cursive if we didn't want and I never did. I now write in this incredible combination of printing and cursive that even I can barely read. :nopity:

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I was taught cursive in elementary school, and I actually had a class in high school in which the teacher required all our papers to be hand-written in cursive. I was a competent typist by this point and had pretty much forgotten how to write in cursive entirely, so I had to pay my brother to transcribe all my papers into cursive. I still got an A, as the teacher wasn't sharp enough to notice any difference in the writing. I'm 25 now, for the time reference. Strangely, I still sign only my first name, Josh, in cursive. I don't really see how cursive enables one to write legibly at a faster rate. I never had a problem finishing essays, either.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Enginerd A2 said:
I was taught cursive in elementary school, and I actually had a class in high school in which the teacher required all our papers to be hand-written in cursive. I was a competent typist by this point and had pretty much forgotten how to write in cursive entirely, so I had to pay my brother to transcribe all my papers into cursive. I still got an A, as the teacher wasn't sharp enough to notice any difference in the writing. I'm 25 now, for the time reference. Strangely, I still sign only my first name, Josh, in cursive. I don't really see how cursive enables one to write legibly at a faster rate. I never had a problem finishing essays, either.

There are a couple of cursive capital letters that they were REALLY reaching for when they made up cursive...like Q and Z...what in tarnation?

On another note, I used to get 'paid' with beer to write papers for people in Career class...the content, not in cursive...a six pack would buy you the content that you would write in your own hand, and a twelve pack would buy you the content typed! HAHA!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
JMAC said:
My school taught me cursive like really anally. We did so much of it. As soon as I hit highschool they said we didn;t have to write in cursive if we didn't want and I never did. I now write in this incredible combination of printing and cursive that even I can barely read. :nopity:

me too. i used cursive from kinder thru high school.

and i even had a whole calligraphy class, 1 hour a week from kinder until 6th grade.

stil my handwritting is terrible.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
JMAC said:
I now write in this incredible combination of printing and cursive that even I can barely read. :nopity:
That's how I write too. Drives people nuts sometimes.

If I had kids there is no way I would ever send them to a public school.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I was taught cursive in 5th grade. It was never required for any of our assignments though. I never use it for anything besides signing my name on checks or other docs. My parents always write in cursive though, guess they stressed it more back then.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I was taught cursive in the 2nd grade and required to use it for quite a few things until sometime in high school I think. I too write in a mix of printing and curvise. My biggest flaw is not leaving proper spacing in between words..a sentence looks like one gigantic word!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
There are a couple of cursive capital letters that they were REALLY reaching for when they made up cursive...like Q and Z...what in tarnation?

On another note, I used to get 'paid' with beer to write papers for people in Career class...the content, not in cursive...a six pack would buy you the content that you would write in your own hand, and a twelve pack would buy you the content typed! HAHA!
I funded a semester of being wasted by taking physics and dynamics tests for people.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Cursiv sucks. Not only can it not be written, but it takes much longer to write. And who hand writes papers now a days anyways? All schools have computers now.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I learned it in probably 3rd grade, and once I got into middle school I never had to use it. My current writing is sort of a mix between the two depending on how quickly I'm trying to write and what words they are. It seems certain words come out cursive because its easier to write them that way, I dunno...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
No way. I dont know how you print, but my print is very fast. It is like a mix of both. Its like print, cept kinda slated and without all the dumb strokes of cursive. And it is ellgible too :thumb:

But my english teacher just put a C on my papers anyways. He doesnt even have to read them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
mack said:
No way. I dont know how you print, but my print is very fast. It is like a mix of both. Its like print, cept kinda slated and without all the dumb strokes of cursive. And it is ellgible too :thumb:
Wow. Talk about illegible........ :mad:

Cursive writing is much faster than printing for someone adept at both. With printing you have to take your pencil/pen off the paper at the conclusion of every letter. With cursive it's only every word. You have to practice cursive to remain good at it, though.

But my english teacher just put a C on my papers anyways. He doesnt even have to read them.
If I were you, I'd consider myself lucky that I got a "C"....... :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
ALEXIS_DH said:
me too. i used cursive from kinder thru high school.

and i even had a whole calligraphy class, 1 hour a week from kinder until 6th grade.

stil my handwritting is terrible.
Yes I think teaching cursive makes turns people into messy writers. I can't even print neatly. I have a friend, she does the most perfect print I have ever seen, looks liek a printer. I have to rely solely on computors now.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
Cursive writing is much faster than printing for someone adept at both. With printing you have to take your pencil/pen off the paper at the conclusion of every letter. With cursive it's only every word. You have to practice cursive to remain good at it, though.

-S.S.-
Theoredically....I "print" without taking my pen off the paper. So it's a combination of both print and cursive. It looks terrible. I might scan some of my writing and post it here just to prove how messy it is.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The only thing I can figure is that somebody may have thought cursive handwriting exercises the right side of the brain along with the left. Honestly you can't read my cursive and I can't read most other people's cursive. By the time I got into highschool all the teachers were telling me that if I were to use cursive they'd take off points. Somebody asked what kind of handwritting we should use my freshman year at college and the answer of course was that we shouldn't, typing is required. Because I couldn't ever make cursive characters nice enough for others to read I never practiced enough to prefer cursive handwriting. Now I type everything I ever plan on reading again.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
JMAC said:
Theoredically....I "print" without taking my pen off the paper. So it's a combination of both print and cursive. It looks terrible. I might scan some of my writing and post it here just to prove how messy it is.
Me too, I usually just lift it up for different words and certain letters but for the most part I just leave it there or lift enough so that it doesnt leave a dark line between letters and usually ends up having stray marks because I leave it down but just lift it up a bit.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
JMAC said:
Yes I think teaching cursive makes turns people into messy writers. I can't even print neatly. I have a friend, she does the most perfect print I have ever seen, looks liek a printer. I have to rely solely on computors now.
JMAC said:
:think: I think instead of wasting time on practicing your printing, cursive and scanning samples of your penmanship, you might want to concentrate on perhaps working on your spelling, grammar and punctuation. JMHO...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i naturally write slow. so if i'm forced to write quickly, i.e. in class, my cursive is disgusting. my print is fairly descent, regardless of how fast i have to write.

in the end, it doesn't matter. being left-handed, all my **** get smeared, anyway. i don't have that weird hook-arm thing going on, thank god.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
the Inbred said:
i naturally write slow. so if i'm forced to write quickly, i.e. in class, my cursive is disgusting. my print is fairly descent, regardless of how fast i have to write.

in the end, it doesn't matter. being left-handed, all my **** get smeared, anyway. i don't have that weird hook-arm thing going on, thank god.
I always wonder why lefty's do that...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
dh girlie said:
:think: I think instead of wasting time on practicing your printing, cursive and scanning samples of your penmanship, you might want to concentrate on perhaps working on your spelling, grammar and punctuation. JMHO...
No this is the one place I don;t have to worry about grammar or speeling or anything. I'll continue to take full advantage of this. :rolleyes: :eviltongu

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
the Inbred said:

Same here with the lefty thing. After writing lots of things in pencil the entire left side of my hand is usually covered in lead.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
COmtbiker12 said:
Same here with the lefty thing. After writing lots of things in pencil the entire left side of my hand is usually covered in lead.
Lefties represent. My writing is super good (1/2 cursive and print crossbreed)when i take my time, almost girl like i'm told. But, as i speed up, the legibility drops at an exponential rate.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
mack said:
elligible for what?
yeah my writings got all oyurs beat i garantee it. its the worst. pluss im a lefty so when im done w/ a whole page it looks like its got a big grey haze all over it

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
I was taught to write cursive in a public elementry school, but were not forced to use it.

I do remember one the SAT when I took it yrs ago, there was a VERY small section on cursive writing. Basicly there were two sentences written in plain text. You were suposed to reweritre the sentence using cursive. That was it. My note writing style in class looks like a mixture of cursive and graphitti tag. I do not write in cursive at all, other than if scrambling notes down..... But then it usually comes out illegible

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
dh girlie said:

Ahahaha your are my hero. Can you do my calculus hmwk? LOL jk.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
dh girlie said:
Well, I'd at least like to be able to make sense of what you're writing... :think: on second thought...maybe not. :D
I don;t make much sense when I talk so I'm impressed if you can understand any of my writing. :o:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
FOR ALL YOU LEFTIES...just so you know if you get a stroke. Left handed people recover best from strokes, especially younger female lefties.
:blah:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I was taught Cursive in around 2nd grade and stopped using it in 5th. Now my handwriting is so bad unless I put a lot of effort into it it is completely unreadible to anyone else.

D

d-sop

i hate cursive. and yea, they lengthened the sats. for the flippin writing section. its so dumb.

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
I went to a special tutor for almost 6 months, learning to write a special type of cursive. i had cursive drilled into every hole in my head. i couldnt read one word of it after i had written it down.

so after being heckled by my teachers, i began trying to teach myself how to write properly (to my mom's dismay). its taken me a good 3 years of normal wiriting in school, and my print STILL SUCKS! to top it of, im a really freaking slow writer too. i hadnt tried writing in cursive except for my name in about 2 years, and i still seem to have that part down... sorta.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
.:Jeenyus:. said:
I was taught Cursive in around 2nd grade and stopped using it in 5th. Now my handwriting is so bad unless I put a lot of effort into it it is completely unreadible to anyone else.
Haha mine too, sometimes I cant even read what i wrote when i was in a hurry