Quantcast

Question for Mac Geeks

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hey, I've got a PowerBook G4 with a drive that is about to fail I think. I also want a new iMac.

Do I spend $300 on a new drive for the PowerBook, or do I trade it in for $900 towards a new iMac, and get a MacBook to replace the PowerBook in the fall?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Ridemonkey said:
Hey, I've got a PowerBook G4 with a drive that is about to fail I think. I also want a new iMac.

Do I spend $300 on a new drive for the PowerBook, or do I trade it in for $900 towards a new iMac, and get a MacBook to replace the PowerBook in the fall?
I'd trade it in and get the new one...they're awesome...and yeah get it all.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
get the macbook! i'm typing on mine and it is teh new hotness and then some.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, mine arrived last friday, and i'm pleased as punch so far. only possible complaint is that the bigger trackpad is easy to hit accidentally.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
What is that, MacBook?? I just looked at the Apple site ... and they've got Intels!! Are there pigs congesting air traffic? Are dogs and cats living together? Palestinians and Israelis sharing tea? What's this world coming to? :nonono: Everything I've known to be true is false. Oh wait, nevermind. It's just that Apple's gone to the dark side. My bad.

sinisteridge

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
holden it down in h20 town`
heres what i think, if you already have a powerbook, go for the MacBook Pro. my cuzin just got one and they are by far the best laptops i have ever used. soooooooo fast with 2 gigs of ram. right now i have one of the Imac with the intel chips. its veryyyyy fast, and with the 20 inch screeen it is amazing for anything visual related, (which is everything on a computar). so if you want to go versitile yet amazing go with the MacBook. if you want BEAST and the best computar in the world (IMO) go with the IMac.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
sinisteridge said:
heres what i think, if you already have a powerbook, go for the MacBook Pro. my cuzin just got one and they are by far the best laptops i have ever used. soooooooo fast with 2 gigs of ram. right now i have one of the Imac with the intel chips. its veryyyyy fast, and with the 20 inch screeen it is amazing for anything visual related, (which is everything on a computar). so if you want to go versitile yet amazing go with the MacBook. if you want BEAST and the best computar in the world (IMO) go with the IMac.
Well, the theory is that I'm going to be getting both eventually...just don't really want to pony up the $4k for the MacBook just yet...especially since they'll probably be putting them in a new case soon.

As for the screen, I actually have a 23" Apple Cinema Display, so I'm not too worried about that, but another 20" would be nice, and the built in iSight is sweet.

But...oddly enough, my harddrive seems to have somehow miraculously healed itself...for now.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
What are the specs on your PowerBook? After looking closer at the MacBook Pro I'm seriously impressed. I'm obviously not up on the latest technology but that looks to be one powerhouse of a laptop.

The only concern I have is that Apple tends to turn around their new "Rev A" hardware pretty quickly. It's almost like Apple has their users beta-test new products at full prices. But anyhow, if possible I would suggest holding off on that MacBook until they release the next version.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's a 15" 1.33ghz, with a gig of RAM, and a combo drive. Pretty basic.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I would expect to see gen 2 MacBooks on the market this summer.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Gen 2 Macbooks will probably be out at the next announcement, which I believe is schedule for end of April, beginning of May?

I'll probably be upgrading my 6 month old powerbook then as well.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Transcend said:
Gen 2 Macbooks will probably be out at the next announcement, which I believe is schedule for end of April, beginning of May?
I'll bet 10 bucks that you are wrong.