Quantcast

Question for the Muslims on Rm

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
DOOD! You rock! That vid is HILLARIOUS!

This is a VERY loaded question. But this vid shows what is really happening in Iraq and it's surrounding Arab countries. To coin an old phrase more recently recited by Austin Powers... "It's revolution maaaan!"

I'd love to voice my opinion here as to why all this is going on but I think this is the kind of question that incites arguments. Sooo....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
What I don't get is this...

Images of Mohammad or cuddly teddy bears named after him incur untold wrath, but every other Islamic man is named Mohammad something or other and nobody goes around killing their Mamas. What gives?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

Images of Mohammad or cuddly teddy bears named after him incur untold wrath, but every other Islamic man is named Mohammad something or other and nobody goes around killing their Mamas. What gives?
You're pronouncing it wrong... you wouldn't call a Mexican, "Jesus," would ya?

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA

What's the prize for finding inconsistancy in the behavior of people who consider the feelings of an imaginary being important? :busted:

Frigging 'religion'. If you believe, you're part of the problem.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'd love to voice my opinion here as to why all this is going on but I think this is the kind of question that incites arguments. Sooo....
what are you kidding? we here at the monkey have found a little corner of reason, where diversity of thought has found purchase in a rockgarden of hostility, and is even flourishing.

the PAWN forum is the new fertile crescent.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"One of the good things is the U.K. Muslims who've condemned the charge as completely out of proportion," said Paul Wishart, 37, a student in London.

Which implies, of course, that there are Muslims in the UK who don't see it as out of proportion. They must live in third-world Britain. Londonistan, perhaps?

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
From the reader submitted comments on CNN...

"As a Muslim I am deeply embarrassed by this as with Bin Ladden and his blind followers. This is not Islam. This is not what Allah wants. This is the final straw that will have me leave Islam for Allah's world where there is intelligence, compassion and understanding among people. "

:clapping:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
From the reader submitted comments on CNN...

"As a Muslim I am deeply embarrassed by this as with Bin Ladden and his blind followers. This is not Islam. This is not what Allah wants. This is the final straw that will have me leave Islam for Allah's world where there is intelligence, compassion and understanding among people. "

:clapping:
And unfortunately, this is how the majority of Muslims actually feel. It is a few sociopaths and extremists ruining it for everyone.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And unfortunately, this is how the majority of Muslims actually feel. It is a few sociopaths and extremists ruining it for everyone.
Not really. While the majority of Muslims worldwide are non-violent and moderate, their ultimate sympathies do NOT lie with the secular West, and they feel a stronger bond to other Muslims, even extremists.

In fact, because one can easily paint a picture of Muslim extremism as legitimate resistance to 'oppression,' it's very easy to get sympathetic. (Thanks, war in Iraq!) The problem is, the line between legitimatized resistance and worldwide cultural warfare really doesn't exist anymore with Muslim extremists...and Muslim extremists court the resistance label and the sympathies of fellow Muslims and radically-minded Western political activists, while twisiting it and extending it to a greater war with Western modernity.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Not really. While the majority of Muslims worldwide are non-violent and moderate, their ultimate sympathies do NOT lie with the secular West, and they feel a stronger bond to other Muslims, even extremists.
In fact, because one can easily paint a picture of Muslim extremism as legitimate resistance to 'oppression,' it's very easy to get sympathetic. (Thanks, war in Iraq!) The problem is, the line between legitimatized resistance and worldwide cultural warfare really doesn't exist anymore with Muslim extremists...and Muslim extremists court the resistance label and the sympathies of fellow Muslims and radically-minded Western political activists, while twisiting it and extending it to a greater war with Western modernity.
I agree that the majority of Muslims are non-violent, but I would still like to see at least some of them come out and condemn suicide bombings and the like. You would think that Muslims as a whole would not want to be connected to the extremists and would want to show that they are a small portion of the religion, of course the media plays a certain role by only showing videos and pictures that are good for ratings. That said

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I agree that the majority of Muslims are non-violent, but I would still like to see at least some of them come out and condemn suicide bombings and the like. You would think that Muslims as a whole would not want to be connected to the extremists and would want to show that they are a small portion of the religion, of course the media plays a certain role by only showing videos and pictures that are good for ratings. That said

That's kind of my point. The mainstream of Islam is generally more sympathetic to Islamic extremism than secular Western democracy.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
redefining "few", or redefining "extremists" in sudan: Calls in Sudan for execution of Briton
KHARTOUM, Sudan - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
"One of the good things is the U.K. Muslims who've condemned the charge as completely out of proportion," said Paul Wishart, 37, a student in London.

Which implies, of course, that there are Muslims in the UK who don't see it as out of proportion. They must live in third-world Britain. Londonistan, perhaps?
Bull**** - there is no such implication whatsoever. You have inferred it which demonstrates your desire to paint that particular picture, consistent with your previous postings regarding the western-based Islamic threat.

No doubt you could find a quote to support your view but then it is not only Muslims who hold extreme views regarding religion, there's plenty of Christians who are similarly stupid. The point is that there would be no more than a handful of such people.

You do know this is political don't you?