Quantcast

question re: MY NEW SCANNER

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerChk said:
Can I physically attach it to a computer and share it like a printer?
Windows doesn't have any native support to share a scanner. If you feel like you need to do it, you can purchase specialty software (example, or here for a software list).

Seems like more trouble than it's worth, though, since you could just as easily plug the USB cable into a laptop or whatever other computer, or do the scan and put your file up on the network for the other computer to access.

Double check your scanner documents to make sure it's not a feature built into the scanning softare.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The problem with sharing a scanner is that you have to be next to it to use it anyways, unlike a printer.

I would think the easiest way to get a scanner on the network would be to get a USB2.0 to 10/100 ethernet adapter though so you could assign it a specific IP. That would be my preference over mucking around in windows trying to share it.

Although I don't know of any specific software that would support it.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If your networked you can always scan from the desktop and store the image in a shared folder so you can see it from the notebook. We've got a business class printer at work that will scan images to .pdf and email them to you, you could do the same thing with a flatbed scanner and your favorite email client.