Quantcast

Questions about Sonoma

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
*gasp*

I've got a few questions about the "us championships" race at Sonoma... What are they running there? Dual slalom or mountaincross? How is the soil there? sandy/clay/loam? Have the courses there turned out pretty good in the past?

What is the "dh" course like? I already know it's a super short hill, thanks. :cool: Is it rocky at all? Can I put my LG1 on my bike for this course? Which michy tires would you recommend for the course? 16? 24? 24 cut?

thanks everybody for your help! fyi, I'm not flying out there just for the race, we're turning it into a vacation as well... :)

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So I just watched some of the footage from the nascar race there today (NASCAR, fvck yeah! yeehaw!) and they showed panoramic shots...looks like smooth grassy terrain...

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
Well I'm not very good at giving advice, but here's my attempt: they're running a mountaincross, and I can't recall seeing a single pebble on the dh course last year, so an LG1 should be just dandy. Can't help with the tires, for I don't run michelins. The course was basically, if I remember correctly, just dried grass and loose dirt.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
you will want a real downhill bike, just drop it as low it'll go (light too, maybe a single crown fork) and run michelin comp 24s

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'm planning on running a comp 16front / 24cut rear in 2.5's.
Or maybee a Minion F/ 24cut rear.

It's a super easy course, your LG-1 will be just fine. The only time your chainring will hit anything is on the shuttle truck.

There are lots of loose, dusty corners. Lot's of fast off camber and flat turns. The traction and stability of a dh bike helps here, but the suspension isn't necessary at all. Only pedaly sections are the top 100 yards, poping out of the upper switchbacks and one flat section in the middle. Lighter wheels/tires would be nice.

It's an easy course to ride, but very tough to ride really fast.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
While your here on "vacation". You should check out Skyline park in Napa. It's got some of the best descents in the area and it's really close to Sonoma. Gotta climb though.

Other awesome spots: Annadel in Santa Rosa or anything in Auburn/Tahoe.