Quantcast

R.I.P. Dave Wieland

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Dave Wieland, a fellow cyclist, lost his battle with cancer on November 2nd, Tuesday night. His battle began long ago, and worsened just about a year ago. For the past year, the pain was unbearable, and he often had to pass on coming to work. He passed away in his sleep; just about the most peaceful way to go, especially considering that the pain had made it so that he hadn't been able to sleep in quite a long time.

Dave loved designing, particularly custom bike paint and graphics. But his real love was biking. If you've had the chance to meet Dave, you've definitely heard Dave talking about his adventures at NorthStar, Downieville and Soquel Demonstration Forest.

Dave served with R.O.M.P., as well as other trail grooming groups. He cared as much about making the trails rideable for others, as he did about getting on those trails himself.

Dave also spent a great deal of time working in the shop at Performance Bikes in Campbell, CA. He was an excellent bike builder, and knew just about any bike from back to front.

Dave joined DeathSquad Cycling (www.ridethedeath.com) as as active of a member as he could be over the past year.

Please join me in sending prayers and good vibes the way of Dave's family.

To commemorate Dave Wieland and the life that he led, DS Cycling will be doing a ride at Demo, rain or shine. We'll be meeting at Performance Bikes in Campbell at 8:00am on Saturday, November 25th, 2006. We'll be leaving the shop promptly at 8:15am. We'll be doing the full loop, up the paved road, up the fire road, across the ridge trail and then dropping Braille.

If you knew Dave, or you didn't and you want to pay homage to a great man, and a great cycler, please meet at Performance in Campbell at 8:00am, or meet at Demo at 9:00am. You'll know it's us as we'll be wearing our DeathSquad Cycling jerseys.

Rest in Peace Dave.

Sincerely,
Mike

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
being a right coaster, i'd not heard that name before, but it certainly sounds like he epitomized everything that is great about mtn. biking. i'll ride in spirit at 8:15 here in good ole virginny. perhaps other monkey could do the same elsewhere. my respects to his family and friends.