Quantcast

Race! Ruston La Nov 9th

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Depending on the weather I should be there, raced it last year in the muck and loved the course but hated the mud. So as long as its semi dry I will be there, dont feel like having to rebuild a bike again if its muddy...

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
So as long as its semi dry I will be there, dont feel like having to rebuild a bike again if its muddy...

Yea, last year I had to have my bike completely rebuilt. From soup to nuts. It was $400-600...

So far the weather looks good. Ruston is a blast (when not muddy)

more Ruston Racing info <--Here-->

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Hey I went to that link and it didnt have anything about a Single Speed class, is there going to be one this year?

I raced SS at the last TMBRA race and the word that I got from the SS guys was there there would be a one gear class.

If I can get my 2:1 gearing worked out I plan to take mine..

Stop by the BikeMojo area at pavillion S2 and say hi. Big potluck dinner Saturday night. Everyone welcome.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
cool, glad to see that there should be a class for us. There are a couple of us SS'ers coming down from up here in central Arkansas, so maybe we will have a good class. I hadnt even planned on coming down this year because I havent had time this summer to do much riding, yet alone race, but I ended up racing last weekend and actually did pretty good (got 3rd) so now I am all pumped up to race, too bad the season is about over.. :mad: introduce yourself to me if you see me, I will be the guy on the Sofa King painted like an american flag, cant miss me... Jayson

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
cool, glad to see that there should be a class for us. There are a couple of us SS'ers coming down from up here in central Arkansas, so maybe we will have a good class. I hadnt even planned on coming down this year because I havent had time this summer to do much riding, yet alone race, but I ended up racing last weekend and actually did pretty good (got 3rd) so now I am all pumped up to race, too bad the season is about over.. :mad: introduce yourself to me if you see me, I will be the guy on the Sofa King painted like an american flag, cant miss me... Jayson

Just got the email from James Ramsaur, at Lincoln Parish Park.

"Yes there will be a single speed class."

There you have it.

Sofa King, gottit. (nice ride BTW). I am on a Blue Kona w/Soulcraft conversion kit.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I no can do the Ruston Race... Got my daugher's birthday to do instead...

I was thinking about driving over Sat seeing some of the festivities though.

-N8

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Doesn't look bad... however be prepared for wet/muddy conditions and for cool weather even if the forecast is otherwise...

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by N8
Doesn't look bad... however be prepared for wet/muddy conditions and for cool weather even if the forecast is otherwise...

Rain perhaps tomorrow. They said that the course could use a little rain as it is dusty.

It does drain well. But last year, it was waterlogged.... Mudfest.

red mud....

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
If its like everything around here a good day of rain a couple of days before the race will do it some good. Plus I figure if it does get muddy the Duo racers on Sat will pack it down... We've gotten our reservations at the Ramada and are headed that way Saturday morning.. Cya there.. :monkey:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Any of you going to ride any of the trails along the I-20 corridor as you head to Ruston?

Bodcau, The Monkey Trail and Caney Lake all along the way. Read about them on MTBR.com

Bodcau is 6 miles of hard riding that feels more like 10 at Ruston.

The Monkey (a.k.a. Eddie B. Jones Caddo Parish Park) is more difficult than Ruston and was designed by James Ramsaur and is 10 miles long.

Some LOCO riders a doing Bodcau Sat with some riders from Dallas.

-Nate
La Offroad Cycling Org
LOCO

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
I will be the guy on the Sofa King painted like an american flag, cant miss me... Jayson
Good to meet you.

Tough race. I am sore today. I got beat up on the roots. Some of you Arkansas boys are pretty fast.

Watch for more SS races in the TMBRA series next year. And word is that NORBA will have a classification for them.

SS will run the full expert distance.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
It was good to meet you and Toni also, how did he end up doing? Just have to say I was glad to see that you dont look like your avatar :D You rode good, on a couple of those down hill sections with all the roots I was watching you bounce all over the place and I was sooo glad that I had my Sid on my bike, not a real good rigid course. I can imagine you are pretty sore, I know I would of been if I would of brought my rigid bike, heck I am anyway, my back was killing me yesterday evening and into the night. Just havent been riding very much and that was tough...

Some of you Arkansas boys are pretty fast.
Ya from what I could tell Ira was hauling some a$$ as always, just wish I could say the same about myself, not exactly on the top of my game at the moment. Another guy that came down with us took second in the Expert master 30-34 class.

That will be sweet if NORBA comes up with a SS classification, although Expert distance will be tough. I hope to drop some weight and get back into racing shape over the winter (planning on doing the Ouachita Challenge race in March) so if I do as I plan I may make it down to some of y'alls races. You should try and get some of the SS'ers from down there to come up and do our SS national championship race in May, we had over 30 this last year and are hoping it will be even bigger this next time...

I hope to make it down to SA in August this year, if so I will let you know, maybe we can hook up and do some riding...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Yea it was cool meeting you, next time hopefully we can hang out and drink some beer and stuff:monkey:
My race was bad. I felt bad, my pelvis hurt, i wanted to puke (but couldnt) and i was NEVER able to get into a good rythem. I believe my lap times should have been 51's or under but instead i did 53's which perfectly sucks.
Oh well. There will be another day.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
It was good to meet you and Toni also, how did he end up doing? Just have to say I was glad to see that you dont look like your avatar :D You rode good, on a couple of those down hill sections with all the roots I was watching you bounce all over the place and I was sooo glad that I had my Sid on my bike, not a real good rigid course. I can imagine you are pretty sore, I know I would of been if I would of brought my rigid bike, heck I am anyway, my back was killing me yesterday evening and into the night. Just havent been riding very much and that was tough...
I ended up 8th... of 10. Not a good number, but considering the field. It was fast.

Rigid, I got beat up some. I have a shock that I can run, but I am used to riding rigid. Like anything else it has its pros and cons. An ideal shock would have been one with the remote lockout. I believe that Ira has that set up. My knees are a little sore, but then again, I am sure that anyone running a hardtail is sore.

Ya from what I could tell Ira was hauling some a$$ as always, just wish I could say the same about myself, not exactly on the top of my game at the moment. Another guy that came down with us took second in the Expert master 30-34 class.
Word is (I have not crunched the numbers) that Ira had the fastest Sport time. But I don't believe that SS is a disadvantage on most courses.

I hope to make it down to SA in August this year, if so I will let you know, maybe we can hook up and do some riding...
The San Antonio Texas race is in February, it is usually a big party.

And in March Waco is hosting one of the NORBA National races. That will also be big....

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
My race was bad. I felt bad, my pelvis hurt, i wanted to puke (but couldnt) and i was NEVER able to get into a good rythem.
I feel your pain man, I had the exact same story except it was my lower back instead of my pelvis! When I dropped out I was in dead last, never ever never have I been that far back, really sucked!

next time hopefully we can hang out and drink some beer and stuff
I'm all about kickin back, drinkin a cold one and shootin the shiet! :-) NEXT TIME

An ideal shock would have been one with the remote lockout.
Thats what I have on my bike, Sid Team with remote, works sweet, although the climbs on that course are so short and its usually so rooty and technical going through the dips getting to the climbs that I didnt even use it but maybe 3 or 4 times yesterday... I will agree, that was one fast SS class, not sure I have ever been in a race where we took off so fast, I blew a gasket before we ever got onto the single track!

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
I will agree, that was one fast SS class, not sure I have ever been in a race where we took off so fast, I blew a gasket before we ever got onto the single track!

That is what we do. Greg Harrah (Black IF) was running as we got into the singletrack, I was 4th behind him, then on the first fire road and he sprinted to move into second.

And he stayed there for a while, I thought he was working your buddy over because Greg is pretty fast.

But it turns out he was just trying to hang, and in the end he blew up and finished 4th.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Bike Mojo
That is what we do. Greg Harrah (Black IF) was running as we got into the singletrack, I was 4th behind him, then on the first fire road and he sprinted to move into second.

And he stayed there for a while, I thought he was working your buddy over because Greg is pretty fast.

But it turns out he was just trying to hang, and in the end he blew up and finished 4th.
yea that's weird. when greg didnt pass me i figured something had happened to him. then towards then end of my second lap him and the other bike lane dude finally passed. They look strong but i new there wasnt enough time for them to gap back up.
t

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I hate that I missed it this year.. :(

But had to do my daughter's b-day thing. I have seen some pix one of our members posted on our Yahoo Groups site... man... looked like the trail was in fantastic shape and not really muddy at all... it rained on and off in Shreveport all afternoon and I was thinking it would be another mudfest like last year.

We had some folks who did pretty good in the beginner class and sport class.

-N8