Quantcast

Race track? Tell me about it!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've raced BMX, DH, DS/MTX, XC, CX and road, but I've never raced track. I've been thinking more and more about it lately and I think it looks like fun. I have a large outdoor velodrome about an hour from my house. Anyone raced before? What was your experience? What type of race did you do? I'm still fuzzy on the different events in track. Did you find that it helped you in other areas of cycling?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm a little shocked. I would have thought some of the roadies on here would have raced track at one point or another.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
only ridden a wednesday class at alpenrose. takes ridiculous legs and balls too, drafting without brakes and a huge track gear takes getting used to
That's where I figured I would start. The Alpenrose corners are f---ing scary. I only rail them during the cross races when I'm hauling and its dry conditions. Even at that I'm no where near the top, more like the bottom 20%.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
when you're actually riding the track it feels a lot better when you're mashing. the scary part is going too slow. they say you need a minimum of 12mph to stay on the corners without sliding down, but that 12 feels like slug **** when you actually start riding, faster the better. the Wednesday class is great even for an experienced rider because there are a lot of unwritten rules and etiquette about the track nobody really talks about, kinda like going to a road race never have raced before or something

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the info. Anyone have recommendations on a bike? I really don't want to spend more than $500. The issue is that they bid up on eBay because every hipster wants a track bike.