Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You'd have to think that if, dodgy owner aside, a relatively successful and competitive components manufacturer went into receivership that either another component manufacturer or a bike company would make the call to put in a bid for it.

Unfortunately even if that does happen, it wouldn't be overnight and thats little help to the employees who are left high and dry for now.
the problem with a dodgy owner is the 80/20 rule applies, though in this case its more like 99/1.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I wonder if we will see more of this sort of thing from component makers. It seems more bike companies are using their own brand stuff on their bikes. Giant last year on their Glory specked Raceface handle bars and ster. This year they are using their own brand bars and boxxer stem. Trek and Specialized use house branded parts. The market for Raceface parts was getting smaller as the years went on.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
WHOAH...

Been very busy with work as of late but just caught this in the bike press...

WTF?!

Race Face has always put out a quality product with excellent, well-suited ad campaigns that reflect the product and the company. I own a pair of DH elbow guards and they are the burliest, toughest, most protective elbow guards I've ever owned...

To JohnP and the employees at RF: if the allegations of executive misconduct are in fact true, this is not only sad but infuriating. Sad that so many people who clearly demonstrate through their work that they have a passion for what they do have lost their jobs, and infuriating that an exec decided to use the company's assets as his own personal checking accout. Assets and valuation that were created by the hard work of intelligent, passionate employees. I've seen this before first-hand with Iron Horse and it's an experience that just leaves you gutted. To put your time, energy and passion into a company only to have it used and abused.

Unreal. Very sorry to hear this about a company with such a well diversified, quality, product range.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Although none of their products have appealed to me enough over the years to buy one, I realize the influence they had in the progression of freeride and consequently DH parts design is considerable.

Hopefully someone will buy the name and not let all the work and money spent on the brand image go to waste.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Talking about the products themselves is fairly meaningless. The people involved in a company that genuinely care about the things they do is what matters.

Guys like John uprooted every part of their life to go to Vancouver and work for RaceFace. I know he's a smart individual with a really diverse background and will stand a better chance than most of re-directing his life and salvaging something.

Others in the company may not be so similarly equipped to deal with change and will go from everything they wanted to nothing.

Prayers go out to those affected.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
WHOAH...

Been very busy with work as of late but just caught this in the bike press...

WTF?!

Race Face has always put out a quality product with excellent, well-suited ad campaigns that reflect the product and the company. I own a pair of DH elbow guards and they are the burliest, toughest, most protective elbow guards I've ever owned...

To JohnP and the employees at RF: if the allegations of executive misconduct are in fact true, this is not only sad but infuriating. Sad that so many people who clearly demonstrate through their work that they have a passion for what they do have lost their jobs, and infuriating that an exec decided to use the company's assets as his own personal checking accout. Assets and valuation that were created by the hard work of intelligent, passionate employees. I've seen this before first-hand with Iron Horse and it's an experience that just leaves you gutted. To put your time, energy and passion into a company only to have it used and abused.

Unreal. Very sorry to hear this about a company with such a well diversified, quality, product range.
well said. I'm not sure if it's a pipe dream, but it would be really nice if someone (or another company) bought the brand and the manufacturing capability and kept it local. I'm really sorry for all those that lost their jobs, I hope you all land on your feet.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
more info on the their closing:
Effective March 12 2011, an end of an era occurred as Race Face Components Inc. went into receivership. Effectively this means that Race Face’s bank, The Bank of Nova Scotia, has taken control of the company, appointed a receiver, and will sell the company and its assets. The receiver, Grant Thornton, will determine a sales process for the company in the days to come. The reasons for the receivership are complex but basically the company recently got offside on its borrowing base with the bank. The partners in the company tried to structure a deal with the bank to get the company back on side but unfortunately, a deal could not reached. In this event, it was hoped that the company could be sold as a ‘going concern’ but this solution also did not materialize.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Face-The-Official-Press-Release.htm

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
The following is from Bicycle Retailer.

BRAIN said:
Race Face officials met with creditors and its receiver today. Officials at Grant Thornton said they intend to dispose of Race Face as a single entity and may rehire back some essential employees to assist in the sale of the company.
This is the next best thing to it being sold as a "going concern." Anyone that would purchase the company as a single entity has plans to continue the brand. Capturing as much of the old as possible is the best way to retain the brand equity and the quickest way to get product to market. I would imagine it would involve rehiring many key people as well.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Due to some pretty huge liabilities and very few assets (the 'very few assets' is a rather unbelievable story in and of itself), the prominent theory among those in the know is that Race Face will likely be scooped up by another bike or component co. for the brand name only, then have all operations shifted to Asia. Given how far the balance sheet was allowed to get upside down, that's really the only scenario imaginable that would give anyone a faint hope of making any money.

Again, this is only speculation, but the folks who've been closest to this whole event point to this sort of situation as being the most likely.

-John P.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
John,

Sorry to hear about the closing of the company and everyone who lost their jobs. I hope bigger and better things come out of it for everyone who lost their job.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Due to some pretty huge liabilities and very few assets (the 'very few assets' is a rather unbelievable story in and of itself), the prominent theory among those in the know is that Race Face will likely be scooped up by another bike or component co. for the brand name only, then have all operations shifted to Asia. Given how far the balance sheet was allowed to get upside down, that's really the only scenario imaginable that would give anyone a faint hope of making any money.

Again, this is only speculation, but the folks who've been closest to this whole event point to this sort of situation as being the most likely.

-John P.
That's a shame, although not surprising. Goes to show you the value of branding, marketing, and the weight that a name carries. See Nuke Proof, Evil, Sunn Bikes,etc.

I hope that at the very least a core group of employees are able to keep something going under a different name.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Given how far the balance sheet was allowed to get upside down, that's really the only scenario imaginable that would give anyone a faint hope of making any money.
So what you are saying in color picker terms is that Race Face's Balance sheets were not BAD ASS BLACK, but a distinct RUBY RED. ;)

Sorry man. I know this sucks. My heart goes out to you and all the employees.
I know you will land on your feet somewhere though. :thumb:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
This is the next best thing to it being sold as a "going concern." Anyone that would purchase the company as a single entity has plans to continue the brand. Capturing as much of the old as possible is the best way to retain the brand equity and the quickest way to get product to market. I would imagine it would involve rehiring many key people as well.
May not be the case of RaceFace, but buying a company as a single entity is probably the most often used way of eliminating competition. This business manner is wide spread throughout every single market.
Also, getting your people into company's management who will later lead company to the bankruptcy in order to literaly minize your buying price of that company has been very common way of getting valuable company very cheaply in post-soviet countries.

I trully hope the brand will go on, my guess is they'll keep design and QA departments in Canada while moving manufacture to Asia.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My hope is that John P., Hatfield, Wendy, et al are being scooped up left and right by the competition, since they're more valuable to a MTB company than any other asset that company had.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
So what you are saying in color picker terms is that Race Face's Balance sheets were not BAD ASS BLACK, but a distinct RUBY RED. ;)

Sorry man. I know this sucks. My heart goes out to you and all the employees.
I know you will land on your feet somewhere though. :thumb:
I thought it was red rum not ruby red?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
50+ men and women - most of whom are passionate riders - have lost their jobs. Let's not forget that fact while we're all having fun cracking jokes, bashing on the product, and generally tap dancing on RF's grave.
I agree John I really feel bad about this. Not only did we lose a GREAT product, a lot of people are now out of a job. And let's face it John, there's always going to be someone that jumps his bike off a sea container to flat cement and when the part breaks, he bashes the product saying it's poor quality. No joke, my buddy sent me this link below right after I bought two Raceface Evolve DH cranks and two RF bash guards tonight from Penelope at Cambriabike.com about five hours ago!

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/5219.html

And I had a problem with a defective BB last summer but I can't deny how good their product is so I buy them. I pray they won't dissolve this great company.

So for what it's worth I really like Raceface on my bike over out of consumer touch over priced Shimano and WAY overpriced Sram. Two other good companies but out of touch with the consumer's ability in to afford there product in this economy. I found Raceface to be durable, dependable, long lasting and well built more than anything else I've used over 15 years of biking and very fairly priced within my reach. I'm really sorry to hear it. I'd love to see Raceface get bought out by it's own employees and even offer stock to riders to buy shares to keep it going.

If a 3.3 million dollar loan is what the bank is worried about, that's not a lot of dough if they offer to people the chance to buy in and no better place to announce it than RM. And I hope they do and you get your job back man.

Trek and Specialized use house branded parts.
Don't even get me started on the lousy quality of Trek's worthless "BONTRAGER" garbage! If Raceface was on Trek, they'd see sales increase.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
the site was down and now its back, any updates ?
http://raceface.com/
Not sure how/why the website is back up. I've been in touch with almost all of my former co-workers, and nothing's changed as far as we know. It's possible that the receiver re-started the website to hopefully generate some interest in the asset sale, but that's just a guess on my part.

--JP

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If a 3.3 million dollar loan is what the bank is worried about, that's not a lot of dough if they offer to people the chance to buy in and no better place to announce it than RM. And I hope they do and you get your job back man.
$3.3mil is quite a bit of scratch, especially as no bank is going to cough up that kind of money for a long-term loan (for someone to buy it). You're probably looking at a 5 year term at 10% interest, meaning you're looking at almost a million in the first year just in principle/interest payments.

What's more is I'd bet that if the bank is going after them for a single $3.3m loan, there's probably more loans outstanding just for cash-flow, debts owed to certain factories, etc. Remember Iron Horse was sued for an eventual $20mil, but only ~$5mil of that was owed to their lender, CIT. The rest was owed to factories for product that had already shipped, to vendors, etc.

It'll be interesting to get the full story on exactly what happened...