Quantcast

Raceface Taperlock BB rebuild

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Well, time to rebuild the Raceface Taperlock BB. Hasn't lasted as long as I hoped, but still lasted longer than the UN-72's I'ver been eating through. Anyone have experience? Do I really need this rebuild kit they sell w/ blocks and clips, or can I rig something up. Also, anyone know what type of bearings they use? Are they proprietary or something I can get from any bearing supplier?

Thanks.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I had too much experience replacing bearings. About 2-3 months and they'd be toast. They're a common size that most shops or bearing supply stores have. Take one out for a sample and get a bunch. Odd. I had way better experience with un72's. I'd get at least a year, 250 plus days on one. My personal view of the RF taperlock, I had two, is quite dim. Both came with bikes I bought.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by riderx
Well, time to rebuild the Raceface Taperlock BB. Hasn't lasted as long as I hoped, but still lasted longer than the UN-72's I'ver been eating through. Anyone have experience? Do I really need this rebuild kit they sell w/ blocks and clips, or can I rig something up. Also, anyone know what type of bearings they use? Are they proprietary or something I can get from any bearing supplier?

Thanks.
I'd save the time and just buy a new BB.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Well, I bought the RaceFace specifically because it can be rebuilt. Doesn't really look to tough to do, just was wondering if you really need the clip that comes w/ the rebuild kit.

I dug my receipt out and it turns out this thing lasted longer than I thought. It's around 10 months old and has a lot of miles on it. Considering I was getting 3-4 months out of the UN72's it's not too bad. The UN72's just can't take the stresses of single speeding it seems.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
my taper has lasted a long time on my geared bike. I noticed some sounds the last 2 rides I did on that bike (last year) though and I'm sure it's time for some work on it.

I just put a splined RaceFace on my SS so I will let you know how it holds up. Let me know what you do with the taperlock RiderX. I need to get that bike fixed sometime this year ;)

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
If you are careful, it can be done w/o buying the kit. The trick is to support the inner and outer surfaces of the earings while reassembling the spindle/bearings/spacer assembly. The only other thing you might need are replacement taperlocks (grey plastic wedge-ring in each cup) I found mine to be cracked for some reason.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
Originally posted by riderx
Well, I bought the RaceFace specifically because it can be rebuilt. Doesn't really look to tough to do, just was wondering if you really need the clip that comes w/ the rebuild kit.

I dug my receipt out and it turns out this thing lasted longer than I thought. It's around 10 months old and has a lot of miles on it. Considering I was getting 3-4 months out of the UN72's it's not too bad. The UN72's just can't take the stresses of single speeding it seems.
If it less than a year old contace Race Face they will send you a new one. I have had 2 bb's and a bb dh cup replaced with no hassels. Worth a try ....

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Originally posted by Big John

If it less than a year old contace Race Face they will send you a new one. I have had 2 bb's and a bb dh cup replaced with no hassels. Worth a try ....
Other than the hassle of having the parts go bad in the first place. The very best warrantee is the one that is never tested. When I hear people talk about how good a company is with warrantees, my spider sense tingles. When I hear lots of people gushing about how good warrantee service is, I question how good those parts are in the first instance.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
Originally posted by oldfart

Other than the hassle of having the parts go bad in the first place. The very best warrantee is the one that is never tested. When I hear people talk about how good a company is with warrantees, my spider sense tingles. When I hear lots of people gushing about how good warrantee service is, I question how good those parts are in the first instance.
Well yes but not always... I don't know what kind of riding you do but I race DH and also alot of freeriding. The key is I weigh 270# without armor and I'm hard on all parts. In a perfect world nothing would break or go bad but this world is far from perfect isn't?? A great troublefree warrenty is the closest we can get. As far as how good are the parts in the first place, I doubt you could find a stronger BB than RF. 17-25 races and countless practice runs and weekend runs take their toll on everything, the bb DH cup my brother messed up on his own and they still took care of it.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I hear you bro. I only weigh 140 but when I pulled those bearing seals off after 2 months, they were full of rusty grease and water and one bearing was cracked. The warrantee bearings lasted the same two months in drier conditions. I ride a lot and probably hard by most peoples standards but not by North Shore or DH standards. Maybe my experience was unusual. mtbr.com had numerous reviews which were similar to my experience and just as many glowing reports. I think RF quality is spotty. I've had great headsets from them and one awful one that never got warranteed because the had no parts. I broke my RF cranks in 6 months. My buddy just cracked his. Other friends have zero issues with them. All stuff breaks though. Collectively we are doing things with our bikes that the manufacturers never dreamed of. That's where some of the breakage problems lay.