Quantcast

racing help...?

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
i've decided to go for road racing next season, and im not sure at all how the classes are broken up tho. are they done by age, im 17, or just what u think your skill level is? some help here please

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
dhrider said:
i've decided to go for road racing next season, and im not sure at all how the classes are broken up tho. are they done by age, im 17, or just what u think your skill level is? some help here please
No, road racing is different than mountain biking. They make you start at the bottom. For guys, it's Cat 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. 5 is where you start, then you progress to 1 by getting points from placing in races. They give points out back quite a few places though, not just the top 5. Sometimes you can petition and be moved up to the next class if you have a lot of experience in mountain biking and can prove you aren't a putz. ;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Heidi said:
No, road racing is different than mountain biking. They make you start at the bottom. For guys, it's Cat 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. 5 is where you start, then you progress to 1 by getting points from placing in races. They give points out back quite a few places though, not just the top 5. Sometimes you can petition and be moved up to the next class if you have a lot of experience in mountain biking and can prove you aren't a putz. ;)

as a junior though he has some slight more options open. he can race 5/4 and/or the junior field as well. what's nice about this is say there's only a crit that weekend, crits are typically short enough where you can do 2 of them. so he could theoritically race both the juniors crit and the 5/4 crit.

the catch with racing junior is you have to have a specified gear selection. they don't want you using to large of a gear. they try to focus on helping juniors develop a spin. you can go to usa cycling's website to see what the full info on that is b/c i can't remember the ratios n what not. but as a junior racer take advantage of it man. it's a lot of fun being able to race other catagories.........

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
what is a typical race lenth milage wise or does that vary really drasticaly? what generally is a mph average of a cycling event, im able to hold a 20-23 average for a 50 mile ride. should i be shooting for a higher average or what?