Quantcast

Raleigh XXIX: First Ride Impressions

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Here's the Raleigh XXIX I've been riding now for a week and a half. It's stock with the exception of a Salsa Shaft seat post at 410mm.

The fork on this bike is not suspension corrected at 430mm axle to crown height, so I thought perhaps it might be a little harsh up front. That hasn't really panned out because the whole frame seems to be forgiving to the point where front fork leg stiffness seems to be softened, at least in bump absorbing terms. It's interesting to see the difference between the XXIX and my Inbred 29"er, which has the steel suspension corrected fork from On One on it. The Inbred fork is noticeably flexing back and forth as I ride it while the Raleigh's fork seems to be very stable in comparison, yet the ride "feel" is very similar.

The XXIX fork is noticeably more laterally stiff. It tracks far more precisely and I was adjusting for that during my first few rides. This bike goes right where you point it quickly. Not a bike that you need to handle with a lot of input. A softer touch works better, in my opinion.

The bike tracks as well as any and for a single speed, it doesn't seem to "wind up" or twist when you torque the handle bars. It's bottom bracket and crankset seem plenty stiff, but I could see some side to side flex in the chainstays right behind the BB. This wasn't so bad that I could get the Exi Wolf tire to rub, but the newer generation of fatties might if you can really mash hard.

The downtube is ever so slightly ovalized in the vertical plane which isn't noticeable by looking at it, but you can feel it when you put your hand around it. This helps shed mud rather well! :biggrin:

So far, so good. I am planning on changing the rear tire to something a little faster than the Exi, which I find feels sluggish. (I've had one on the Inbred which felt the same way) Grips are retro-ish in that they are way thin, like old skool Tomac ODI's. I am going to end up with Ergon's there pretty quick. Other than that, I think I can live with this the way it is, even though it's a bit portly for a single speed at 27lbs. I'm betting a good portion of that weight is in the tires/wheels, saddle, handle bar, and stem. These are all good parts, just heavy. Of course, this is just a $750.00 bike, so what should you expect?

More to come as I get more dirt on it!

Attachments

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
17 3/8th" from center of EBB to centerline of axle. It's fairly short for a 29"er and the shortest chainstays that I've yet ridden on a 29"er. The back end of this bike is really easy to loft, for what it's worth.

bcd: Talked to Rob today, and he tells me that you'll be shackin' up at Interbike with him and another guy. I'm gonna try and look you guys up while I'm there. See ya later!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I got the medium based upon the top tube length. I had to go with a longer seat post, but I would have had to do that with the large as well. The 350mm seat post just isn't long enough for any of these frames, that's another whole story.......

The XXIX+G that I'm getting is going to be a large, because I wanted to get a more stretched out chassis for the geary. I'll have to run a shorter stem, like a 90mm, sort of like a Genesis set up. It'll be good to contrast against the medium single speed frame.

As a comparison, my Inbred has just a slightly longer top tube than the medium XXIX and it's a 18" frame. I think it fits just fine.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Back in the 90's it was tough to find a mountain bike with an 18" or 19" top tube with anything longer than a 23" top tube. When I found a bike with anything longer than a 23" top tube, I was interested in it as a possibility. Of course, I had to have the three inches of standover to go with it.

Fast forward to 2003. The Karate Monkey comes out. The 18" bike has a 23 plus inch long top tube, okay. My friends all tell me that that is not long enough for me and I need to go to a 20" KM with the 24 plus inch long top tube. It's the "new" geometry, they say. Okay, whatever! I got the 20" frame. I'll tell ya, it's okay, but I've got a super short stem on it. (80mm reach)

Now with modern "super sloping" 29"er geometry, standover isn't an issue at all. (I've got 5 plus inches on the XXIX) The top tube is just peachy at a bit over 23". Nice stem length. Handles well. That said, I'm trying out the large XXIX+G to compare. I already know I'm going to have to swap out the stem and seatpost going in.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'1" and I have a 36.5" inseam( in stocking feet with rod against pubic bone, the way they show you to measure yourself on several custom builders websites) and my arms are 32.25" long from the shoulder joint to the tip of my fingers.