Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That headset can’t be cheaper. I think it’s purely for aesthetics. The side on photos in a catalog?
I assume this started on road bikes and someone thought it was a brilliant idea to put on bikes where most people still prefer externally routed cables.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I assume this started on road bikes and someone thought it was a brilliant idea to put on bikes where most people still prefer externally routed cables.
You know, with the way mtb has been going lately, I wonder how many mtb owners as a % even know the difference between internal and external. The people who have to maintain bikes should be up at arms… some are owners, others are mechanics! But maybe the mechanics are just happy to get an hourly rate… and it doesn’t matter what they are doing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You know, with the way mtb has been going lately, I wonder how many mtb owners as a % even know the difference between internal and external. The people who have to maintain bikes should be up at arms… some are owners, others are mechanics! But maybe the mechanics are just happy to get an hourly rate… and it doesn’t matter what they are doing.
Makes me think of people who complain about how difficult it is to work on cars these days but never consider that when buying one.

"Oooh, that looks shiny"

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
“Oooh, that looks clean” is the contemporary MTB equivalent, and why we have maintenance nightmares with internal routing.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You can thank Gary Klein for this development (at least this latest epoch, 87 or so through today). But whoever first developed TITS (tube in tube) deserves some recognition. My old ‘93 Klein was a right pain in the ass.

FE51ED9A-7951-4406-9AF8-68C77057DA43.png

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is it a unicorn because all the others broke?

I don't even know if Ellsworths do break but this site has brainwashed me in to thinking that they do.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
24 hour, 8 hour etc relay races are all still going here.

They even kept going during the pandemic, mostly. But were changed to solo only events with staged starts - which was actually kind of cool. Sign up, pick which day you want to race and go have fun. Less commotion, less people out there etc etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The 24hour thing seems like a LOT more support than the endurance stuff I'm used to. For some, I'm sure it's a 24hour party. I'm more used to 100 miles or whatever, or riding for 16 hours straight or more, pushing on when you are only going a few mph.

The 24hour thing seems like a LOT more support than the endurance stuff I'm used to. For some, I'm sure it's a 24hour party. I'm more used to 100 miles or whatever, or riding for 16 hours straight or more, pushing on when you are only going a few mph.
I liked the party aspects when I did 24s. I never had any intention to win anything, just liked the challenge and the companionship.

I once placed in the Vermont 50, didn't know it until I got email from a relative a week or so later.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I haven't heard anything about 24 hour races in quite awhile. When I worked at BikeSmart we would slang parts/repair bikes at the Moab and Northstar 24 hour races while also racing freeride bikes. At Moab we would build a kicker over a fire pit and use glow sticks to create an alternate line off the race course into it...much hilarity ensued.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I haven't heard anything about 24 hour races in quite awhile. When I worked at BikeSmart we would slang parts/repair bikes at the Moab and Northstar 24 hour races while also racing freeride bikes. At Moab we would build a kicker over a fire pit and use glow sticks to create an alternate line off the race course into it...much hilarity ensued.
24hr race at a DH park...that's gotta be a real bad idea, great way to get injured and wreck the bike bad IMO.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
When I did 24hr races, it was as part of a team, and mostly for the party. I gave up on them when I became a parent, and sleep became a precious commodity.

I wish I'd done more DH racing instead. They seem like they were more fun, and the skills would have stayed with me over time. The 24hr races are still cross country races, and all about fitness, which you lose over time (or it becomes harder to maintain at any rate) despite best efforts. All the fastest riders I know today (in our 50s) are former DH racers. My theory is the skills you learn DHing pertain to bike handling and reading the terrain, and those stick with you.

Though now that I wrote that out, the really fastest riders I know are now all roadies or gravel riders and have abandoned mountain bikes for the most part. A few of them used to be DH riders/racers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wish I'd done more DH racing instead. They seem like they were more fun, and the skills would have stayed with me over time. The 24hr races are still cross country races, and all about fitness, which you lose over time (or it becomes harder to maintain at any rate) despite best efforts. All the fastest riders I know today (in our 50s) are former DH racers. My theory is the skills you learn DHing pertain to bike handling and reading the terrain, and those stick with you.
can confirm