Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Yeah, speaking of floating brakes arms... any reason why back in the day all the high pivot bikes had them but nowadays they don't?
it can be that:
a) the modern geometry with longer wheelbase and lower CoG mitigate the issue of weight transfer during braking
b) the lizards wait for the right moment to introduce this feature
c) both of the above

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, speaking of floating brakes arms... any reason why back in the day all the high pivot bikes had them but nowadays they don't?
Weight, complexity, and the reality that having your head angle slack out through rough chunder isn't necessarily a bad thing. When brake forces cause swingarm extension there's an abolute need for a linkage, but when it causes compression it's a little bit fuzzier. I rode both a brooklyn and a morewood and preferred the braking of the morewood as it suited going fast better.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
You keep repeating this mantra and it'll come true

One of the designs that you get to look at and say “they didn’t get any of it right”.
Terrible geo, Terrible suspension action, and doesn’t even get a fancy Klein paint job.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Here in Australia they're the same price as Yeti or Santa Cruz basically. They're on sale at the moment because they're changing distributors over here, will be interesting whether the new guys offer different pricing or not.
Historically what Lusty’s touches goes up markedly. No shortage of nut huggers for that distro tho.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
One of the designs that you get to look at and say “they didn’t get any of it right”.
Terrible geo, Terrible suspension action, and doesn’t even get a fancy Klein paint job.
Haha that shouldve had a yellow URT thingo. Black was replacement when cracked. The yellow was a nice flake effect actually.
Suspension was dogshit for sure.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Historically what Lusty’s touches goes up markedly. No shortage of nut huggers for that distro tho.
Yeah Supersports (old Transition dealer) had the same rep. And Dirtworks. And SCP. So yeah basically all the aussie importers that aren't factory.

Supersports now doing the Deviate bikes from Scotland. $6800 for the frame

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Yeah Supersports (old Transition dealer) had the same rep. And Dirtworks. And SCP. So yeah basically all the aussie importers that aren't factory.

Supersports now doing the Deviate bikes from Scotland. $6800 for the frame
Yeah Supersports pricing was mental. They did Tomac bikes too i remember.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Cool looking bike. And major props for getting rid of the cable tourism garbage.

Not sure how I feel about those rails being held in by those little bolts.

And have never really considered any bike with flexstays, I don't know and perhaps its an unwarranted critism, but they just look fragile...and flexy.
Buddy who owns/runs a shop ordered some of their bikes after building a road bike from scratch for a customer and was quite happy with it. Will have a look at them when they show up at his shop.
Regarding the flexstays I was in the same boat but a ride on a Tranny Spur turned out pretty okay. Not sure about bikes with more travel though.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Buddy who owns/runs a shop ordered some of their bikes after building a road bike from scratch for a customer and was quite happy with it. Will have a look at them when they show up at his shop.
Regarding the flexstays I was in the same boat but a ride on a Tranny Spur turned out pretty okay. Not sure about bikes with more travel though.
My only concern with a flex stay is longevity. I tend to ride my frames for close to 10 years. Will these things stand up to that many years of aging and use?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My only concern with a flex stay is longevity. I tend to ride my frames for close to 10 years. Will these things stand up to that many years of aging and use?
Carbon and steel can be designed to have an infinite fatigue life. In some ways components designed to flex can be more durable than those designed to be stiff. How many people use air shocks because they think a spring will break?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Carbon and steel can be designed to have an infinite fatigue life. In some ways components designed to flex can be more durable than those designed to be stiff. How many people use air shocks because they think a spring will break?
This. Greetings from Mr. Wöhler.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually lasted better than conventional pivot carbon bikes.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Steel, yes I get that as I am a licensed machinist in a past life so have some experience with spring steels.

It is the carbon and associated resins / thermoplastics / wundergoo that I am concerned about.
Granted my only experience is with plastic type flexi hinges that always wear out and carbon fibre canoes which is a bit different flex than a small hinge area.

Glad to hear that they are durable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Steel, yes I get that as I am a licensed machinist in a past life so have some experience with spring steels.

It is the carbon and associated resins / thermoplastics / wundergoo that I am concerned about.
Granted my only experience is with plastic type flexi hinges that always wear out and carbon fibre canoes which is a bit different flex than a small hinge area.

Glad to hear that they are durable.
Composites are non isotropic, where as the shape and alloy determines a metal structures mechanical performance the strand direction of the carbon layup provide extra flexibility in tuning it's performance. Not saying all bikes get it right but it is certainly within the realm of easily possible.

And composite springs are a thing that has been around for a long time. Corvettes have been using them since the 1950s. One can pick them up as an upgrade to the cutting edge technology of the American muscle car.

Remember when in motorcycle road racing they figured out that they had made frames too stiff, which was adversely affecting handling?