Quantcast

Random new bike thread

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Does the new RM have the crazy 50% progressive totally-inappropriate-for-air-shock curve still?
I haven’t seen the kinematics, but I highly doubt it. That said, some of the fastest times I have ever done on the Altitudes were on air shocks, so I doubt it was as much of an issue while going balls out as it might have looked on paper. The last iteration has very, very few critics as to how it rode, air or coil.

IMG_1673.png

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Serious question. Why?
Why anyone would want a plethora of batteries all over their bikes they need to continually remove to charge or replace versus ONE charging port and internally wired components? honestly baffles me.
Because everyone loves a good game of roulette...lol
I did get AXS on the Capra cause it had it on already...I also brought charger with wife and I to San Luis Obispo...so it rode better than I imagined shifted flawless quiet crisp fast ...but I kept thinking about the battery...
If I decide to keep it, I'll buy a spare battery and throw in pack when I go...
I forget to charge my phone, and my Garmin watch...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
36 is not 50, and 30 is not 38, so where are you getting your numbers?

There were 9 positions on the previous altitude, all with different progression, so….
Well, the one that isn't crazy progressive for an air shock is a straight linear line, which is also not good for an air shock on a bike.

Typical air shock curves go slightly regressive at first to help with shock movement, rising significantly in the middle for the flatter air shock midstroke, and taper at the top to account for air shock end stroke progression. Notice those ones get steeper at the end of travel. It's par for the course for RM IME.

Position 3 might be ok...but it's not ideal. I suspect it's so they can run air and coil shocks...but it's better optimized for coil.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
poor jm...is there anything that's acceptable to his exacting champagne and caviar standards that's not a fs fatbike that can be ridden in both -40* snowy freedumbs and dry arizona rocky heat??? (please dear god don't forget the non-lock on grips! and get your non-poppet poppet valves outa here!!!!) inquiring minds and industry lizards all want to know!

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
poor jm...is there anything that's acceptable to his exacting champagne and caviar standards that's not a fs fatbike that can be ridden in both -40* snowy freedumbs and dry arizona rocky heat??? (please dear god don't forget the non-lock on grips! and get your non-poppet poppet valves outa here!!!!) inquiring minds and industry lizards all want to know!
You forgot about the pianist's thumbs shifters.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, the one that isn't crazy progressive for an air shock is a straight linear line, which is also not good for an air shock on a bike.

Typical air shock curves go slightly regressive at first to help with shock movement, rising significantly in the middle for the flatter air shock midstroke, and taper at the top to account for air shock end stroke progression. Notice those ones get steeper at the end of travel. It's par for the course for RM IME.

Position 3 might be ok...but it's not ideal. I suspect it's so they can run air and coil shocks...but it's better optimized for coil.
I, for one, am really glad that bikes, humans, music, art, food, etc, etc, are all just a little different.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Because everyone loves a good game of roulette...lol
I did get AXS on the Capra cause it had it on already...I also brought charger with wife and I to San Luis Obispo...so it rode better than I imagined shifted flawless quiet crisp fast ...but I kept thinking about the battery...
If I decide to keep it, I'll buy a spare battery and throw in pack when I go...
I forget to charge my phone, and my Garmin watch...
I tried AXS last summer. I knew the battery was good for the 3 days of riding I had to do on the bike, so that was not a big concern for me. I was more concerned about loosing the battery in a crash/impact, getting back on the bike and never finding the battery.

I also really didn't like the soft feeling of the electronic shifter. I got used to it by the second day, but I was really missing that "mechanical feel" for the first few hours of riding.

It also annoys me to charge my Garmin before every ride...so I truly enjoy my current situation of not having to charge my shifter, derailleur, dropper post...and bike.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Loosing the battery would suck on an extended trip. Hm. Maybe tape it or zip tie it to the derailer so it never pops out? I have a spare CR2032 or whatever it is for the lever, taped to my frame, just in case. Depending on where you are, I would doubt any shop would have spare AXS batteries for sale. Things that make you go hmmm...

Speaking of trips and hmmm, are people still going to Brexitville? Err. Wally World...no wait, Bentonville? You know, the self-proclaimed mtb capital of the world located in a place where there are no mountains? That's that one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Speaking of trips and hmmm, are people still going to Brexitville? Err. Wally World...no wait, Bentonville? You know, the self-proclaimed mtb capital of the world located in a place where there are no mountains? That's that one.
I mean - I suppose people that live in shitty places might still go to Bentonville. And occasionally I'll see someone on some Front Range discussion group talking about going there. But those people are fuckin' DUMB. :homer:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its easy to hate on the MTB CAPITAL OF THE WORLD BRO, but that town looks pretty cool. I mean if you're into biking, it seems like the spot. But of course, there are other areas of the country with better trails.

Some of the trail spots outside of Bentonville look sweet.

Would I drive there from Ontario? No, not unless I found a duffle bag full of cash and was doing a road trip around North America.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You're not wrong. But the trails in WP are... pretty meh if I'm honest. Ima head straight to Summit County and not waste any time in WP.

Disclaimer: I don't ride lifts.
There were some pretty decent trails.
11012493_10100659363517418_6125996622646942412_o.jpg
11228530_10100659281162458_5096400143617632434_o - Copy.jpg
11942180_10100659363682088_5162418668925636714_o.jpg
11947754_10100659363602248_420127635072188997_o.jpg
11953407_10100659363612228_126438923467556342_o.jpg

Not the best ever, but decent. Infinitely better than that swamp-air tick infested Arkansas location.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
He's got the old AXS.
OG axs is still slower shifting than mechanical was.
I actually timed all 3.
T type is dreadfully slow to shift through an entire cassette. and OG AXS is noticeably slower than it's mechanical alternative.
All 3 are massively slower than all of my old 10 and 11 spd mechanical drivetrains.
The only electric shifting I'd even consider running is 11spd Di2 road. And mainly for its seamless auto trim feature.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
. I was more concerned about loosing the battery in a crash/impact,
It doesn't even need an impact. The tabs wear and once they have the battery can fall out JRA.
Seen quite a few. Tape/ziptie is the solution.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that bentonville is the mtb capital of the world. There are absolutely no places I think of before Bentonville when it comes to being the mtb capital of the world. And more people should go there instead of the places I like to ride.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have to say, I have never heard the Tetons self-described in this way, mostly because we only have a 5-6 month season (at best).
:) Well the 'pokes never really market themselves. Unlike the douchbagery of COlorado. But if you are the Davos of the financial industry in the US, and have some sweet terrain to huck, you don't need to market jack squat. Just sayin'. You already know this.

Back to Crusty Butt. I'd ride there any time any day. They are actually legit. Vote with your dollars there. Better terrain, better dirt, better looking girls, better beer, better food. Not necessarily in that order :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that bentonville is the mtb capital of the world. There are absolutely no places I think of before Bentonville when it comes to being the mtb capital of the world. And more people should go there instead of the places I like to ride.
Yes! Let's go with that!

We used to say it was Limon, CO. Then it was Trinidad. (and if you've ever been, or just know geography in general, you get the joke) But yeah. Bentonite-ville it is!