Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nope Hudson Yards NYC. Its like they are building a whole new city. Pretty crazy. Man Cleveland is booming. Its like a whole different city also. Very cool stuff happening there. Sleep is playing the Agora Ballroom (yes that Agora) on April fools day. Rays is there.
Seattle currently has 45 boom cranes. Shit is going up so fast some neighborhoods are unrecognizable from 5 years ago.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Seattle currently has 45 boom cranes. Shit is going up so fast some neighborhoods are unrecognizable from 5 years ago.
I was considering a move there. I couldn't find any reasonable real estate there. My friend Moped invited me to live with her. It didn't seem like a good idea....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was considering a move there. I couldn't find any reasonable real estate there. My friend Moped invited me to live with her. It didn't seem like a good idea....
Real estate is insane out here. But anyone who bought anything more than five years ago is sitting on a gold mine. Sadly I was late to the party.

Rent seems to be dropping but house prices are still skyrocketing, partly because traditional homes are getting bulldozed for apartment towers.

Have to ask how your friend got the name moped? Fun to ride but embarrassing to be seen on?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Real estate is insane out here. But anyone who bought anything more than five years ago is sitting on a gold mine. Sadly I was late to the party.

Rent seems to be dropping but house prices are still skyrocketing, partly because traditional homes are getting bulldozed for apartment towers.

Have to ask how your friend got the name moped? Fun to ride but embarrassing to be seen on?
She is actually kind of cute and super nice. She had a Moped and would lend it out for favors... I don't know actually. She is quite a accomplished Chef. Went to school in France and all. She is very chesty. All the boys love her...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
She is actually kind of cute and super nice. She had a Moped and would lend it out for favors... I don't know actually. She is quite a accomplished Chef. Went to school in France and all. She is very chesty. All the boys love her...
And you didn't hook up your bro Westy?

I see how you are.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there any open space between Whoreonto and Barrie anymore? I have not been that way in 6-7 years. When I was a kid it was farm land for an hour or two driving up 400 to Barrie.
Yeah there is still open space up there, though it is slowly disappearing.

The province is in the process of widening the 400 all the way to Barrie now. Some areas are proposed to be ten lanes wide...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
10 total. We already have another freeway that is 10 wide on each side. Tossing lanes at a traffic problem clearly doesn't help much. :brow:

kill list
It still confounds me that city planners still think that more lanes is the solution and that so little is put into mass transit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It still confounds me that city planners still think that more lanes is the solution and that so little is put into mass transit.
This. Or even doing smaller improvements, like timing traffic lights to allow more flow, improving left and right hand turn lanes, bus stops that don't block live traffic lanes etc etc. But nope, lets just add MOAR lanes.

That's one thing that I liked about living in Aurora compared to here. Major roads down there were mostly 3 lanes in each direction, with dedicated left/right turn lanes and most streets had enough room for the buses to pull over so as not to block traffic and add to the problem.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Why do you hate America, you damn Commie Brit?
The UK used to be as bad (and probably still is), but they don't have as much space to waste.

You just know that Drumpf's infrastructure plan if it ever comes to light isn't ever going to fix the existing shit, it will just be to build more roads.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
And safe infrastructure for bikes. People forget that cities like Copenhagen only became bike cities like they are now by investing heavily in safe infrastructure for bikes besides of course designing cities so that it makes sense to get around on your bike.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
And safe infrastructure for bikes. People forget that cities like Copenhagen only became bike cities like they are now by investing heavily in safe infrastructure for bikes besides of course designing cities so that it makes sense to get around on your bike.
I don't disagree with you on the essence of your post, but wikipedia tells me Copenhagen was founded in 1167. I don't think there were many bikes back then... I tend to believe most European cities were built slowly, over time, on a 'human' scale. Everything had to be walkable, given that most people didn't even have horses, let alone cars or bikes. That's why most Euro cities (and I think to a large extent Asian and African) cities work better without cars clogging them up, and with transit systems. Vast, sprawling, low-density cities really are a North American phenomenon. And their density is so low that putting transit systems in place doesn't really do much. I think densities need to change if transit is going to be a viable option for a greater proportion of the population.