Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This one to view fire info:

This one (click on map toward the bottom) to view current smoke coverage:

Then I have this one for Canadian fire info:
[/QUOTE,]

Windy is my favorite site/app for fire, air quality and a myriad of other atmospheric conditions
This one to view fire info:

This one (click on map toward the bottom) to view current smoke coverage:

Then I have this one for Canadian fire info:
Windy is a pretty awesome site/app for fire location, intensity, air quality and a myriad of other atmospheric conditions.

Screenshot_20200824-164645.png

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I think it's a jalisco thing but an old taco joint on the South side always had bowls of jalapenos and carrots in vinegar. Id kill for some of those right now.

Also, taco Tuesday.....

15983993839801988660646739167309.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I promised my wife that I would teach my kiddo to drive standard, and she was like “why? “.
To me, why not is the better question. If you teach the kiddo standard, they'll be able to drive standard + auto, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Besides, the world is a bigger place than just the USA. 80% of vehicles sold in Europe are still standard. Want to rent a car? Better hope you get lucky and score one of the few autos the rental agency has. Same holds true for many other world areas.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I promised my wife that I would teach my kiddo to drive standard, and she was like “why? “.
Bmans first car was a '66 bug with '67 trans and no motor at 16. We put it together, taught him to drive it, fix it, maintain it, then he moved out and sold it because it was too much work. :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As much as I like driving my manual visceral V8, I would agree with her. There's no point anymore. It's very rare to see a top performing car with a manual, because auto is simply faster. They anticipate and react to hills these days, downshift, are faster, more efficient, etc. If you drive anywhere that there is traffic, a manual gets old really fast. Again, I like it, but I see the other point too. Everyone buys an auto-SUV for their wife, and from there no one ever learns how to drive a manual and makers stop offering it. Plus, you can figure it out well enough on youtube these days if you really needed to (if I can learn to wheelie on F-ing youtube, I can learn to drive a stick). Taking my bike on trips in my car that is an auto and has the adaptive CC is just brilliant. I don't use the lane-keep thing, but that would make sense if I thought i was getting tired.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As much as I like driving my manual visceral V8, I would agree with her. There's no point anymore. It's very rare to see a top performing car with a manual, because auto is simply faster. They anticipate and react to hills these days, downshift, are faster, more efficient, etc. If you drive anywhere that there is traffic, a manual gets old really fast. Again, I like it, but I see the other point too. Everyone buys an auto-SUV for their wife, and from there no one ever learns how to drive a manual and makers stop offering it. Plus, you can figure it out well enough on youtube these days if you really needed to (if I can learn to wheelie on F-ing youtube, I can learn to drive a stick). Taking my bike on trips in my car that is an auto and has the adaptive CC is just brilliant. I don't use the lane-keep thing, but that would make sense if I thought i was getting tired.
No buys a manual transmission car because its faster - dual clutch trannies killed that a long time ago. I'd argue that learning to drive a manual still has some great benefits. Operating one makes you learn and feel what the car is doing and how it works, not just a pedal you step on to make the car move forward. And they help with actually paying attention to the road and anticipating traffic, turns, etc etc. Being able to easily control speed going down long hills without the brakes or really thinking too hard is also wonderful.

One day when I win the lottery, I shall buy a 911 Carrera 4S with a manual transmission. 100% will put some winter tires on it. :)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As Timmeh said, lots of other places still have predominantly manual transmissions.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No buys a manual transmission car because its faster - dual clutch trannies killed that a long time ago. I'd argue that learning to drive a manual still has some great benefits. Operating one makes you learn and feel what the car is doing and how it works, not just a pedal you step on to make the car move forward. And they help with actually paying attention to the road and anticipating traffic, turns, etc etc. Being able to easily control speed going down long hills without the brakes or really thinking too hard is also wonderful.

One day when I win the lottery, I shall buy a 911 Carrera 4S with a manual transmission. 100% will put some winter tires on it. :)
To me autos are like e-bikes...yeah, they're nice if you've got a super heavy, cumbersome rig, and its less effort to "drive them", but manuals/bio-bikes will always be more funner and engaging. Plus, if the kid eventually gets into stealing cars to support a drug habit, knowing how to drive a stick will open up the option to steal canadmos' baller 911. :thumb:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Luckily the roads in Europe are so empty that manuals never get old. ;)
I'm sure driving manual in traffic surrounded by other manuals is a significantly different experience vs driving a manual surrounded by autos.

Peeps here in the US drive like morons in traffic and love speeding up and slamming on their brakes. Over and over again. Cause God forbid someone cut in front of them when you are going nowhere. If the roads were predominantly manual, people would probably be more content to stay in gear and creep to prevent so much clutch work.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm sure driving manual in traffic surrounded by other manuals is a significantly different experience vs driving a manual surrounded by autos.

Peeps here in the US drive like morons in traffic and love speeding up and slamming on their brakes. Over and over again. Cause God forbid someone cut in front of them when you are going nowhere. If the roads were predominantly manual, people would probably be more content to stay in gear and creep to prevent so much clutch work.
You need to drive in Puerto Rico someday.