Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll give you 500,000 butt coins for both those NFT's.
I just found out that specialized FRAME costs 500 more than the dirtbike I rode today when brand new.......

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

RIP belz....

Although I do have to say, ye ole yoootoob has drastically changed my opinion on "old russian women" over the last 12 months. ;)

just to clarify: in an old hateful nazi hag kinda way, not a rideit kinda way. I saw your fancy reaction to this @jimmydean so I felt that was probably necessary.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bulgaria?
I assume that the owners (there's multiple) run around with battery packs on their back:
1676948787732.png

They are complaining that they can't stop their 80KG bicycle, which is pretty funny. First, they make it 80KG, then they put on Hope brakes.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sold numbers would be interesting. I only found 2022 numbers for KTM/Pierer Mobility. Total revenue of 2.437 billion euros ($2.65 billion). 118,000 sold bikes and ebikes compared to 376,000 sold motos.
Only Spesh number I found with a super quick search was a revenue of ~$500 millions but no numbers on bikes sold or the like.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Only Spesh number I found with a super quick search was a revenue of ~$500 millions but no numbers on bikes sold or the like.
worth noting on this topic: spesh has a full portfolio of accessories - apparel, shoes, helmets, etc. having worked at a bike shop, that's where the margins are.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As does KTM https://www.ktm.com/en-us/parts---wear/powerwear/products.html

I'm just curious how many of the >$15k bikes Spesh sells compared to the offroad bikes of KTM. I only found an old KTM number with a said distribution of 55% to 45% for offroad to road motos.
you ignored the second portion of my post which is more relevant. spesh has bigger profit margins on accessories than they do on bikes.

general rule of thumb on their bikes is the higher the msrp, the fewer they sell. for each s-works they sell, they sell a hundred hybrid/fitness bikes that are under $1k msrp.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sold numbers would be interesting.
Good luck! ;)

I imagine they picked that s-works and six days because those are the top line 'offroad' bikes. But KTM sells a more expensive 4-stroke (500cc), and the 'pro' levo is still 13k.

I would imagine KTM sells slightly more of specifically that six days bike. But they are far and away the biggest offroad 2t bike producer, and dirtbikers go back generations. E-Mountainbikers go back to the last outside magazine blog.

It's not a clear comparison between any two IMO but the point still stands. And I know which one is a way more durable good.

But if you're point was that 'KTM can be cheaper because they sell way more' I think you and I both know that's not why that specialized costs 15k and the KTM is cheaper.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Prices can go down with economies of scale. If that's the point it hardly seems worth rehashing here, but ok.
I was adding the last sentence to my post when you posted this.

I don't think it's worth rehashing because that's not why those things cost what they do. Remember with SC made the first 10k amish bike (bronson) LONG before ebikes existed. This was something the bike industry always wanted to do because the roadie shit is even more egregious and they knew they could.

I'd like to know sales numbers for entirely different reasons personally.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I remember reading that top of the line bicycles are closer to the racer stuff vs motorcycles were a race one is not what you buy off the show room and would cost significantly more. But I don’t know shit.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
once upon a time i did a comparison of # of bikes spesh (or maybe trek?) sells vs a moto company (i think it was honda?) the bike company had way more models - and more unique frames. by an order of magnitude.
When my buddy bought Santiam Bikes, I learned a lot about how a bike shop should be run vs my buddy who opened Trailhead Cycles. Trailhead was all on credit, Troy owns 100% of his inventory at Santiam. He showed me the stacks of $300 bikes in boxes in the basement that pay the bills. Trailhead was trying to be all high end freeride and downhill bikes that were $3k-$5k back in the mid '00s. Trailhead folded after 2 years and he ducked out owing all sorts of folks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When my buddy bought Santiam Bikes, I learned a lot about how a bike shop should be run vs my buddy who opened Trailhead Cycles. Trailhead was all on credit, Troy owns 100% of his inventory at Santiam. He showed me the stacks of $300 bikes in boxes in the basement that pay the bills. Trailhead was trying to be all high end freeride and downhill bikes that were $3k-$5k back in the mid '00s. Trailhead folded after 2 years and he ducked out owing all sorts of folks.
the shop i spent most of my time working at in the mid 00s had 2 locations. one in a suburban location and near a college, and another high end shop in the rich part of town. until the lance effect took hold, the shop in the 'burbs basically subsidized the high shop because they were selling $500 bikes and accessories all day long.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I remember reading that top of the line bicycles are closer to the racer stuff vs motorcycles were a race one is not what you buy off the show room and would cost significantly more. But I don’t know shit.
I'm with you and don't really know but top of the line bicycles sure *seem* closer to what the elite riders use in competition as compared to motorsports. There are still differences, like special parts, special tunes, etc., but still. At the moment it's not entirely clear if those two rides are a fair apples-to-apples comparison. It's not as clear as moving from x01 to xx1, for example. I could be wrong but I bet you'd end up way over $15K after a real gear head went to town on that KTM to pimp it out. On the flipside, how about comparing an equally-priced Specialized? $13K gets you a lot of bicycle...

The law of diminishing returns helps make prices go up steeply for small gains at the top end, but there are always lower cost models for people who (for whatever reason) don't see the value in paying for those differences.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the shop i spent most of my time working at in the mid 00s had 2 locations. one in a suburban location and near a college, and another high end shop in the rich part of town. until the lance effect took hold, the shop in the 'burbs basically subsidized the high shop because they were selling $500 bikes and accessories all day long.
That's funny, Troy opened a small shop near BlackRock that was all extreme crap for folks riding the area (looks like it's closed now). He also opened one in Beaverton that has since separated from the Salem shop. I need to stop in Salem to see Troy and find out what happened, but when the fuck am I ever in Salem?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Good luck! ;)

I imagine they picked that s-works and six days because those are the top line 'offroad' bikes. But KTM sells a more expensive 4-stroke (500cc), and the 'pro' levo is still 13k.

I would imagine KTM sells slightly more of specifically that six days bike. But they are far and away the biggest offroad 2t bike producer, and dirtbikers go back generations. E-Mountainbikers go back to the last outside magazine blog.

It's not a clear comparison between any two IMO but the point still stands. And I know which one is a way more durable good.

But if you're point was that 'KTM can be cheaper because they sell way more' I think you and I both know that's not why that specialized costs 15k and the KTM is cheaper.
Fully agree on all of that.

Prices for consumer goods are as stupid as the people paying them, me thinks