Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
3x3x2.5, it's cute and kinda powerful considering the size. $350 or so.

View attachment 205958
My Dad's 8ish year old Intel NUC died recently. Looking at replacements it was cool to see that there are now plenty of micro options like yours above.

I was probably going to pick up one of these for him if he decides he needs a replacement. Not as small as the above, but a third of the price.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My Dad's 8ish year old Intel NUC died recently. Looking at replacements it was cool to see that there are now plenty of micro options like yours above.

I was probably going to pick up one of these for him if he decides he needs a replacement. Not as small as the above, but a third of the price.
I got a Lenovo m90n at black Friday a few years ago. Probably not as cheap. But I like the thin form factor since it can be attached directly at the back of the TV (its an HTPC for us)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I got a Lenovo m90n at black Friday a few years ago. Probably not as cheap. But I like the thin form factor since it can be attached directly at the back of the TV (its an HTPC for us)
My 10ish year old NUC sits under the TV connected via hdmi, controlled with a wireless keyboard/TouchPad. Used for film file download and then playback or YT when using on screen controls with a remote annoys me too much.

Edit: 10 years next month!
Screenshot_20240104_152655_Outlook.jpg

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My 10ish year old NUC sits under the TV connected via hdmi, controlled with a wireless keyboard/TouchPad. Used for film file download and then playback or YT when using on screen controls with a remote annoys me too much.

Edit: 10 years next month!
View attachment 205960
My company developed a real time OS that runs well on NUC pc's and these were something a customer has been using, so we got some to test in house. We have a couple dozen different micro and mini form factors in the lab. This thing is literally all fan. :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
3x3x2.5, it's cute and kinda powerful considering the size. $350 or so.

View attachment 205958
you using that for a tv driver?

I've got a free flatscreen coming my way so I'm going to put in manland (garage) but need something to feed it. Lemme know how that works if so. The last little compooter box I bought just overheated all the time

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Flatscreen might not need anything, if it's vaguely new it can probably add streaming apps natively.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you using that for a tv driver?

I've got a free flatscreen coming my way so I'm going to put in manland (garage) but need something to feed it. Lemme know how that works if so. The last little compooter box I bought just overheated all the time
It could probably work for that. We turn it into a Linux box to run real time apps, but it comes with Windows 10. It's dual NIC with dual HDMI output, it's pretty slick. We just got it, so no idea on how robust it is yet, but I'll break it eventually.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It could probably work for that. We turn it into a Linux box to run real time apps, but it comes with Windows 10. It's dual NIC with dual HDMI output, it's pretty slick. We just got it, so no idea on how robust it is yet, but I'll break it eventually.
just put your hand on it every once in a while and tell me if it feels like a tesla fire

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
whoa, those things still around?

I had an early one for camera/timelapse shit before cameras did what they do now

edit: just looked. Not a bad idea actually....
They are a pain to setup if you aren't a Linux nerd but powerful for what they are. Just checked prices, sheesh, those skyrocketed.

I use one as a DSP and D/A converter for my audio system. Played around with it like a basic computer for a bit, was a little slow but fine for something like a TV. But that was older, cheaper and less powerful than the latest gen.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They are a pain to setup if you aren't a Linux nerd but powerful for what they are. Just checked prices, sheesh, those skyrocketed.

I use one as a DSP and D/A converter for my audio system. Played around with it like a basic computer for a bit, was a little slow but fine for something like a TV. But that was older, cheaper and less powerful than the latest gen.
I'll look into them. I just want something to play media files with a player of some sort and stream internet shit.

popular little bastards

chicagoberrypi.JPG

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll look into them. I just want something to play media files with a player of some sort and stream internet shit.

popular little bastards

View attachment 205984

They became popular as projects during the pandemic with a chip shortage so for a while there the only way to get your hands on one was to get gouged. Thought things would be more normal, but look like that isn't the case.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They became popular as projects during the pandemic with a chip shortage so for a while there the only way to get your hands on one was to get gouged. Thought things would be more normal, but look like that isn't the case.
It's kind of funny/not funny when ordering stuff at work. All the suppliers still say the same thing and have the same warnings from back during the pandemic and those chip shortages. Kinda feels like stock level manipulation to get people to buy more upfront just in case.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's kind of funny/not funny when ordering stuff at work. All the suppliers still say the same thing and have the same warnings from back during the pandemic and those chip shortages. Kinda feels like stock level manipulation to get people to buy more upfront just in case.

Well there is also has been a major shift to stop transferring chip technology to China to then become reliant on China for chips. But if you can get away with gouging it is almost foolish not to gouge.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator