Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It wasn't Bejing I was talking about. It was some crazy no building restriction pseudo city close to hong kong that had population density of over 20k/km
Sadly you could be talking about a 100 or so places in that area. The Chinese don't subscribe in Urban Planning. They do however like to repurpose urban areas by just destroying them and rebuilding them in amazingly short periods of time with infrastructure shot-cuts that are quite shocking. Heritage Shmeritage....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Found it. Kowloon

"1966 saw the Cultural Revolution in China and the Communist flag was briefly raised in the city. Official attempts to remove it were met with more rioting. British policy came to regard the Walled City as something of a hornets nest — best not to be kicked unless absolutely necessary. In the meantime, the Kowloon Walled City continued to develop and regenerate within itself. Buildings twelve stories high sprouted up without any adherence to planning law. Businesses blossomed — without the slightest concessions to legislation or taxation. Every nook and cranny within its tiny acreage was expanded out, and crammed into, until its intricate labyrinth of thoroughfares and pathways received not a ray of sunlight, even at high noon. The health authorities kept away. So the City just developed its own legion of ad-hock clinics and dental surgeons. In the absence of telephone and utilities companies, the City’s inhabitants just by-wired their own electricity and connections. The same nick-it-yourself approach applied to plumbing and water. As a result, a tangled network of pipes and wiring dripped and hissed above the city’s dark, dank walkways. Cheap amenities for the residents, and, considering the extremely limited access, either in or out of the compound — a potentially catastrophic fire-hazard.
A thorough government survey in 1987 gave a clearer picture: an estimated 33,000 people resided within the Walled City.[7] Based on this survey, the Walled City had a population density of approximately 1,255,000/km2 (3,249,000/sq mi) in 1987

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No - but some of the descriptions of the Leased Territories made me think of them the second I saw those pics.
I may have lost a bit of that in translation. Usually I read books in english if it is the orginal language but I really needed to read something so I bought it fast. Books come here very slow from amazon.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Since we are on the topic of strange cities - Battleship island

The Japanese are crazy. Mitsubishi decided to build a city on a very small island to form a mining colony. I love ghost cities and going there would be awesome. Pripyat is closer though so maybe I will go there first if time allows.

So far I've only been in Bozi Dar and it was by accident - went there for a round of Czech Nat cup, trashed my bike but decided to photo my friends and was very perplexed that most of the city was empty and the only residents were gypsies.

Last edited: