Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Got 2 more. And steaks and spinach. A fuckload of spinach. Bacon for dressing. Green onions and cici beans... 2 itty bitty pieces of cheese.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jimmydean would jimmydean that is milliseconds.
Read this, then you will agree. No.

What was interesting is if you read the build on it.

The LS1 sends 390 horsepower to the rear wheels via the stock 915 transaxle, though both the gearbox and limited slip have been rebuilt. Only 2000 miles have been put on the car since the build was completed six months ago, but it's said to be well dialed in. Apparently, the LS1 is lighter than the 911's stock 3.2-liter flat six, though the car ended up being 12 pounds heavier due to other new hardware. Still, a small penalty for a monstrous power gain, considering the U.S.-spec 1986 911 made only 217 horsepower.
Beefy.

It seems to be a new thing. Guys are buying blown 996's for cheap and dropping in the LS1. I just love the classic lines of this one, a rare Porsche I like.

<edit> http://westsidenova.blogspot.com/2011/07/proscons-of-doing-ls-conversion-on.html

Another key point that should be made about the LS block in general is that, no matter what kind of car it’s in, it’s geometrically small, which means that it’s universal in the kind of platforms that it can be used in. Technically-speaking, inline and flat-six motors are heavier and take-up more space than a V8, so bay space is actually being saved by doing an LS conversion on a 911.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What was interesting is if you read the build on it, the LS1 was 10lbs lighter than the flat 6 it replaced. When it was all said and done, the result was 180hp increase and WAY better fuel economy without sacrificing the handling. The all aluminum LS is a bad mofo.
But the LS is higher and longer. Not what you want when the engine is in the wrong place. You can do things to improve traction to maintain handling but all at the expense of reduces stability, which leads to Jimmydeaning

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But the LS is higher and longer. Not what you want when the engine is in the wrong place. You can do things to improve traction to maintain handling but all at the expense of reduces stability, which leads to Jimmydeaning
See above link, some good info. The 5.7 LS1 is pretty compact.

<edit> I would be interested in the weight shift differences are, if any. I know the C5 moved the transaxle to the rear to get 52/48 front/rear weight distribution.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree big part of the 911 is the original sound of the car. If I wanted a Chevrolet V8 there are much better cars to get.
The LS is a nice motor, but the sound of one will always remind me of a redneck pickup with a blown muffler.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

<edit> I would be interested in the weight shift differences are, if any. I know the C5 moved the transaxle to the rear to get 52/48 front/rear weight distribution.
Jesus murphy look at those bumpers!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

just because you can doesn't mean you should....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Connecticut-based startup LiquidPiston announced today that they have built a small, compact engine that is powerful enough to drive a go-kart. Their X-mini engine weighs just 4 pounds and has three moving parts, and yet can produce 3 horsepower, enough to replace the default 40-pound piston engine that normally powers the go-kart.
Magnets...