Quantcast

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
hipster central
The Island sucks. You're right, it's pretty much hipster central where a bunch of wankers flock to the beach to get away from the city, while still being in the city, with a view of the city. Same goes for cherry beach.

Will never go back to that pointless slab again. way too many times in the past.

/hate.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Island sucks. You're right, it's pretty much hipster central where a bunch of wankers flock to the beach to get away from the city, while still being in the city, with a view of the city. Same goes for cherry beach.

Will never go back to that pointless slab again. way too many times in the past.

/hate.
My Cousin has a Cottage there. I find the hipsters are fairly benign as compared to the rest of Toronto. Sure they talk loud on their phones on the Ferry and in the Rectory. I give as many fucks about them as they do me..... My problem with the Islands is all the horny retired school teachers that won't leave me alone.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Mostly Old folks to me. Retired hippys. I like it there, Quiet and peaceful without cars.
Plenty of other places significantly quieter. Heck even the Don trails are nice and quiet once the greenery kicks into swing. The Island is just full of people, old hippies and young hipsters, and can't forget the massive families taking up the entire park for their day long bbqs...

As you know, the Don is the real in-city retreat. if you really want to escape the noise, come ride the Hilton area with us. Moved from the Junction (7 years there, 8 years North York, 2 years beaches, 7 years Scarborough) once it turned into another hipsterville in 2012 and haven't looked back since. binderdundat.

I hear that about the teachers. haha.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looks like classic 'old' Europe. Reminds me a little of Strasbourg. You reckon there is good riding near there?
Lotsa hills with gnarly terrain within 30 minutes of driving, including virgin woods of present and former army grounds (Wehrmacht used to do tough drills of their elite units for Russian winter offensive during WW2 there). And about 1 hour north, fantastic mountains for skiing and now with increasing lift assisted DH.

That said, I've never DHed there, as I started serious MTB after having come to the US of A. Btw. Nove mesto with one of the most popular UCI XC circuits is only 70 miles away.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Lotsa hills with gnarly terrain within 30 minutes of driving, including virgin woods of present and former army grounds (Wehrmacht used to do tough drills of their elite units for Russian winter offensive during WW2 there). And about 1 hour north, fantastic mountains for skiing and now with increasing lift assisted DH.

That said, I've never DHed there, as I started serious MTB after having come to the US of A. Btw. Nove mesto with one of the most popular UCI XC circuits is only 70 miles away.
Great to know.
Might consider that region for a vaca next summer.
How is the English saturation in CR?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Plenty of other places significantly quieter. Heck even the Don trails are nice and quiet once the greenery kicks into swing. The Island is just full of people, old hippies and young hipsters, and can't forget the massive families taking up the entire park for their day long bbqs...

As you know, the Don is the real in-city retreat. if you really want to escape the noise, come ride the Hilton area with us. Moved from the Junction (7 years there, 8 years North York, 2 years beaches, 7 years Scarborough) once it turned into another hipsterville in 2012 and haven't looked back since. binderdundat.

I hear that about the teachers. haha.
My Cousins place is 2 doors north of Smileys on Dakota. If we are on the Porch cooking stop by. The rest of us live near Jane and Finch so we are used to the noise. PM me first before you stop by there....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Great to know.
Might consider that region for a vaca next summer.
How is the English saturation in CR?
Prague's fine, other larger cities are likely also OK, bike parks - not so sure but probably fine as they get visitors from Poland, Germany etc. About local riding - I'll have to ask around, someone with a local knowledge would be needed.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
My Cousins place is 2 doors north of Smileys on Dakota. If we are on the Porch cooking stop by. The rest of us live near Jane and Finch so we are used to the noise. PM me first before you stop by there....
Jane and Finch is close to where I live during the week (up in Vaughan weekdays). It's a safe neighborhood if you've been around long enough ;)

I'll check that if I'm by again some time.