Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a hard time finding mozzerrella that is 'fat' enough for proper pizza out here. It is all skim based and whatnot. What cheese are you finding back east?
Bel Gioiso Fresh Whole milk mozzarella from Wisconsin in a 10 gal bucket. I mix it with fresh Goat cheese pushed through a pasta strainer (that parts a secret so don't go telling anyone). I can get Buffalo Mozz here but not with any consistency so I rarely use it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I am trying to figure out a way to share my pizza and food with everyone. I have advisers, investors, and all that cool stuff. The problem is I am lazy and do not want to travel, deal with people, own things, and I don't need the money or hassle. I just want to live in the woods and ride my bikes. I don't even want to own a car.
Build a wood fired oven at your favorite trailhead and start slangin pies to hungry mountain bikers, duh.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I am trying to figure out a way to share my pizza and food with everyone. I have advisers, investors, and all that cool stuff. The problem is I am lazy and do not want to travel, deal with people, own things, and I don't need the money or hassle. I just want to live in the woods and ride my bikes. I don't even want to own a car.
I hereby nominate jdcamb to be the next head chef at Retellack Lodge; I hereby nominate myself to be his sous chef and Lodge beer advisor.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Build a wood fired oven at your favorite trailhead and start slangin pies to hungry mountain bikers, duh.
Ideally I would have a brick and mortar place to setup shop near a riding place. But my folks don't think bikers are good enough demographic to go all in on. Coal ovens are big and not very portable, usually fixed. And require more work then I can commit to.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Ideally I would have a brick and mortar place to setup shop near a riding place. But my folks don't think bikers are good enough demographic to go all in on. Coal ovens are big and not very portable, usually fixed. And require more work then I can commit to.
I thought only grandfathered coal ovens were allowed to operate in NY. No new ones. Is this not the case ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Nah... Just as it is a tradition in Naples it is a more defined tradition in Salerno. They call it Focaccia however.
Gotcha.

Several years ago my Rheumatologist told me that the more weight I lost, the more unlikely I am to have gout flare-ups. Yeast has been the worst offender for me and I steer clear of it. But I haven't had a slice of pizza in seven years or so, and I do miss it. I sometimes fantasize about going to NY one day just to have a slice. I figure if I'm going to risk being in the most horrendous, evil pain imaginable for up to three weeks and not being able to ride, then the pizza had better be fucking worth it. Always wanted to try a slice from one of those original coal fired ovens that cook the pie at 900°.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Gotcha.

Several years ago my Rheumatologist told me that the more weight I lost, the more unlikely I am to have gout flare-ups. Yeast has been the worst offender for me and I steer clear of it. But I haven't had a slice of pizza in seven years or so, and I do miss it. I sometimes fantasize about going to NY one day just to have a slice. I figure if I'm going to risk being in the most horrendous, evil pain imaginable for up to three weeks and not being able to ride, then the pizza had better be fucking worth it. Always wanted to try a slice from one of those original coal fired ovens that cook the pie at 900°.
After the dough rises most of the yeast has expired. During baking the rest has expired. The acids and lycopene from the tomato sauce kill all residual microbes not killed by the heat. No excuse for doughy pizza can ever be offered.....

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
After the dough rises most of the yeast has expired. During baking the rest has expired. The acids and lycopene from the tomato sauce kill all residual microbes not killed by the heat. No excuse for doughy pizza can ever be offered.....
Purines are the chemical compounds found in many foods that cause excessive serum uric acid in patients with Hyperuricemia. Yeast, whether cooked or not still contains the highest percentage of Purines, followed by shelfish, organ meats, and red meat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wood good enough for ya? they claim 1000 deg temps.

This was from my favorite pizza joint in Seattle. I thought there pizza was fantastic, however that town generally had garbage pizza so my expectations may have been lowered.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
jdcamb, ever been to American Flatbread in Waitsfield? at least for me, it's the best pizza (or s'cuse me, flatbread) that I've ever had. It's part of the reasons I go on road trips to vermont. Perry Hill, Mad River trails that end at American Flatbread, a creek for swimming/washing, cold microbrews = heaven.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jdcamb, ever been to American Flatbread in Waitsfield? at least for me, it's the best pizza (or s'cuse me, flatbread) that I've ever had. It's part of the reasons I go on road trips to vermont. Perry Hill, Mad River trails that end at American Flatbread, a creek for swimming/washing, cold microbrews = heaven.
My Ottawa Real Estate Person has shown us more properties in Vermont then Ottawa. All were eliminated as possible locations because of either the expense or competition. Every failed chef from Boston or NYC goes to Vermont and tries to open a place next to the new riding place or Ski Hill. They always fail in the spring and summer unless you really hook up with the locals. We are looking at a location in Gatineau near the Doubletree Hilton. Close to Camp Fortune and all the Richy Rich Golf clubs in the area. Lots of retired Gubmint types and young couples in the area.... Cross the Champlain and you're in Little Italy, Centretown, and all that mess. We'll see....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My Ottawa Real Estate Person has shown us more properties in Vermont then Ottawa. All were eliminated as possible locations because of either the expense or competition. Every failed chef from Boston or NYC goes to Vermont and tries to open a place next to the new riding place or Ski Hill. They always fail in the spring and summer unless you really hook up with the locals. We are looking at a location in Gatineau near the Doubletree Hilton. Close to Camp Fortune and all the Richy Rich Golf clubs in the area. Lots of retired Gubmint types and young couples in the area.... Cross the Champlain and you're in Little Italy, Centretown, and all that mess. We'll see....
you're looking for a commercial property for a restaurant?! man... I live in Little Italy/Chinatown. The place is saturated with restaurants. In fact, it's a giant pain in the ass for locals, there's only restaurants, no services. It would be nice to have a grocery store, florist, dry-cleaner, beer/liquor in the hood... But I digress... That Hilton you refer to... it's a nice place (been to a wedding there) but built on a commuter corridor in a bedroom community. Wouldn't really call it close to Fortune either. There aren't many services there, but maybe there's a reason for that?

In this picture (taken from my phone in my office) you can make out the Champlain bridge in the top left. You can even make out the hotel's roof if you know what you're looking for. Camp Fortune is over on the right side... just out the frame. It's also kinda far from where all the major developments are going in: Lebreton Flats (just out of the frame on the lower left) and Zibi which is going to rebuild the Chaudière falls complex (that white blob in the middle of the pic).
20151014_085550.jpg

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Do it for the love of pizza man!
Or you dont really love pizza!