Quantcast

Ranger Creek

So my sister is in town and we did a hike today. Decided on hiking up the Ranger Creek trail to the "Little Ranger creek peak" and about a mile past before we turned back. Pretty mild hike, smooth trail, switch backs, etc. I was told by a few that Ranger creek is a grueling hike? As far as I could tell it was pretty easy to get up if you take the trail. We did only get about 4 miles back in before we turned around to make it an 8 mile round trip hike so I guess the harder stuff must be up further.

In any case, I want to ride this trail before the snow covers it, any takers??? It's not a stunt trail, nor does it have any str8 down decents but its super flowy, clean, and looks like a blast to hit up. Similar to Crystal Mtn. only in the tree's. If anyone wants to hike a bike it sometime this week later in the week or possibly next weekend, let me know. We could also shuttle it if you guys want to just do some fast dh flowy good ole fashion single track, it would be worth it, at least the 4 miles "we" hiked.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It's 6+ miles to the trailhead via fireroad to Corral Pass and another 1.5 miles to the downhill portion of the ride. It's pretty grueling if you have a 40+ lb. bike and you're not shuttling.
And, yes it is a fast and flowy trail. My favorite dh singletrack that I've ridden so far.:cool:

DBR X6 RIDER said:
It's 6+ miles to the trailhead via fireroad to Corral Pass and another 1.5 miles to the downhill portion of the ride. It's pretty grueling if you have a 40+ lb. bike and you're not shuttling.
And, yes it is a fast and flowy trail. My favorite dh singletrack that I've ridden so far.:cool:
Let's shuttle it DBR, I really want to hit it up!!!

Sep 8, 2004
I've done the palisades trail up there, so I kinda have an idea of what ranger creek is like, it should be very cool.
I'd totally be down for shuttling, but my truck's clutch died on the way home from work last night, so I'll be fussing with that most of this week. Maybe next week though, if you still want to go, or want to go again. I'm only available during the middle of the week for all day rides like this, not sure what days I'll have off though.

If you aren't taking a super big bike, skookum flats is an excellent way to end the trail, if you like rooty, rolling elevation, semi-technical trails.

-James.

-James.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You got fresh powder up top of Corral Pass for sure by now... i woulnd't be suprised if the gate is closed. No shuttle. You can still do Ranger if you climb up the singletrack til you run into snow and come back down Ranger or hang a right on Palasaides which will put you out on White River trail but N.W. of Camp Sheppard instead of S.E.

You could probably shuttle Fawn Ridge still, just go up Buck Creek road all the way to the top. Sun Top/Fawn Ridge trail crosses the road just a half mile from the top. Even if the gate is closed the forest road climb there is pretty easy.

Skookum said:
You got fresh powder up top of Corral Pass for sure by now... i woulnd't be suprised if the gate is closed.
Nope.

Stopped in at enumclaw ranger station, coral pass has a trace from last night, still do-able and the road as of today is still open. Hiked around Skookum flats today, never been there, place looks like a fun spot to goof. We almost took Palasades trail up to the top but ran into about 5 guys on 5 inch bikes, they gave me the low down on the trail so we passed on it. They had gone up coral pass in a truck and shuttled it, looks like they had a ball.

Sep 8, 2004
Well, my truck will be out of the shop tomorrow, or, it should be anyways. So if you want to setup a wed or thurs trip up to any of those places, let me know. Skookum flats is a blast. Its my favorite trail. Its probably not fun on a downhill bike though.

You can shuttle ranger creek by going up FS 70 -> 72 (or 72 from the bottom), and then hitting the 7220/7250 road, whichever it is... its up about 7 miles on the right. Take and follow it to the end, and that'll put you on top of the dalles ridge/ranger creek trail.

-James.

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
I rode Skookum Flats yesterday and it was in great shape. Had the place all to myself! It's a great Fall ride due to all of the overhead cover from the rain.

Bikecrasher said:
I rode Skookum Flats yesterday and it was in great shape. Had the place all to myself! It's a great Fall ride due to all of the overhead cover from the rain.
Was that you? We hiked it with the dog just to get outside for a bit. HIked to the water falls from the east end. Stopped to have lunch out on the river and when we started to hike back we saw a lone set of tire prints that I ddin't remember being there earlier. My sister and I were debating if they were there before or not... Looks like you were running a 2.3 or 2.5 tire? Anyhow, I just kept imagining I was on my bike while we were hiking, it was my first time on that trail and it looked fun!!! I saw that you skipped the one section that is pretty burly and went to the right where it was easy :nope: :D :eviltongu

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
2.35 tires to be exact! Can't really think of any real "burly" sections on that trail.
There is one rocky stair step section that is a dismount going up if riding from the Buck Creek parking (direction I rode), that could be a bit tricky going down.
I've never rode from the other direction before. I normally do the "Zilly route".
Buck Creek - campground-cross 410 and ride the gravel road-back to 410-ride up the trail past Camp Sheppard - dumps you out just across from where you started at Buck Creek. About 12 miles total.

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
I would have to say shuttling Coral is an excellent ride, we like to do it twice in a day, once is not quite enough, a group of us might be heading up there this Saturday. I will know better in a day or two.

Sep 8, 2004
Well, I've got my schedule a little more pinned down. I'm picking up my truck tomorrow, so I'll probably just go hit SST afterwards. Thursday I'd be up for a shuttle ride though. If anybody is still interested.

-james.

Bikecrasher said:
2.35 tires to be exact! Can't really think of any real "burly" sections on that trail.
There is one rocky stair step section that is a dismount going up if riding from the Buck Creek parking (direction I rode), that could be a bit tricky going down.
I've never rode from the other direction before. I normally do the "Zilly route".
Buck Creek - campground-cross 410 and ride the gravel road-back to 410-ride up the trail past Camp Sheppard - dumps you out just across from where you started at Buck Creek. About 12 miles total.
Yeah, the stair section where you have to hike up and then ride down, you took the right side instead of attempting the left which looks more like a section from Whistler. I'm just giving you a hard time though as I would of took right down that with how wet everything was. We were hiking, hence the starting from the bottom(west end) and hiking to the falls. Looks like a fun trail, where is this second part you speak of where you cross 410 to head back?

stacy1 said:
I would have to say shuttling Coral is an excellent ride, we like to do it twice in a day, once is not quite enough, a group of us might be heading up there this Saturday. I will know better in a day or two.
My friend gets his bolt this week for his stinky primo so were back in action. Just stopped in at the shop and the other friend is dialing in his RMX so we are ready to roll out. They have Sunday off though, not saturday? We are thinking Snakonia, Post canyon, Ratpac, or possibly shuttling Ranger a few times if someone wants to be the tour guide. It's hard to get these guys to try new areas if there's no big hit stuff around but I'm doing my best to explain how sick the singletrack is up there!!!

jimbo_the_biker said:
Well, I've got my schedule a little more pinned down. I'm picking up my truck tomorrow, so I'll probably just go hit SST afterwards. Thursday I'd be up for a shuttle ride though. If anybody is still interested.

-james.
My friend decided to go to SST thursday, if I can get caught up with class that just started(missed first day) then I'd be down for something up 410 if we can get a small group together, I can shuttle with my truck if someone else has something to get us back up top? We are definently going somewhere Sunday though, trying to get them to do Ranger area one of those two days...but it's like pulling teeth with them, read above.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I don't drive, but I know the Ranger Creek/Palisades trails very well. Definitly hit Ranger Creek - must faster and flowier. Yeah, no big-hits, but it is def. one of the most wicked singletrack descents that this area has.
The weather gods are going to be angry for most of this week, so it could be a dicey trip up that high if the snow levels stay low.
I'm tentative about going up there for a potential white-out-ride myself.

Sounds like I may run into you down at SST tomorrow, James.:thumb:

DBR X6 RIDER said:
I don't drive, but I know the Ranger Creek/Palisades trails very well. Definitly hit Ranger Creek - must faster and flowier. Yeah, no big-hits, but it is def. one of the most wicked singletrack descents that this area has.
The weather gods are going to be angry for most of this week, so it could be a dicey trip up that high if the snow levels stay low.
I'm tentative about going up there for a potential white-out-ride myself.

Sounds like I may run into you down at SST tomorrow, James.:thumb:
SST...me? Nah. My friend rides there alot, he's trying to hone his bike skills in on everything he can. Me on the other hand, I like good ole fashion singletrack and if I come across a few drops or jumps I'll do em but there not what I seek after. Hence Ranger creek, skookum flats, crystal mtn. etc. I think I'll be riding Sunday regardless of rain or shine, if we have to get through a few hundred feet of snow elevation to access the goods so be it.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeknomedir said:
SST...me? Nah. My friend rides there alot, he's trying to hone his bike skills in on everything he can. Me on the other hand, I like good ole fashion singletrack and if I come across a few drops or jumps I'll do em but there not what I seek after. Hence Ranger creek, skookum flats, crystal mtn. etc. I think I'll be riding Sunday regardless of rain or shine, if we have to get through a few hundred feet of snow elevation to access the goods so be it.
Nothing wrong with straight singletrack addiction, my friend:thumb:

If nobody in the group that's going knows directions, shoot me a PM or something and I can hook you up with details. It's early Wed., so it's not too late for me to change my mind. From past experiences, I have no urge to go as of now. That's just me...I'm a freak.

p.s. - I put in some SWEET music in my sig. just for you!!! :blah:

Jun 18, 2004
I've got a shuttle truck and thurs off... let me know if I can go... can you ride a hard tail on this trail? I broke my 888 on my big bike... PM me...

Sep 8, 2004
Hey,
I'll be picking up my truck from the shop today, so I'll be ready to go. Total bill was just shy of $1k. That sucks, it'll slow my bike project down by a few weeks.
It'll be wet, and the roots will be slippery, but it should still be fun. Do you want to shuttle ranger creek, then hit skookum flats at the bottom? My truck will be shuttle-able. 94 toyota 4wd pickup, it goes pretty well up there, snow or not.

Andy - I'll be at SST tomorrow once I pick my truck up, so probably around 2pm or so, maybe I'll bump into ya out there.

Shuttle thursday, what time? Meet somewhere in enumclaw perhaps?
email me at: james_schiller@comcast.net

-James.

Str8OutaBallard said:
I've got a shuttle truck and thurs off... let me know if I can go... can you ride a hard tail on this trail? I broke my 888 on my big bike... PM me...
From the 4 miles we hiked up from the base of the trail a hardtail would be fine and actually alot of fun, the singletrack is super flowy switchback with very little rocks, roots etc. No drops, no log rides, no stunts, just pure fun flowin' singletrack. If we can start getting some confirmations, I say we plan it for tomorrow. I start my microbiology course tonight so I'll need some fresh air tomorrow ;)

jimbo_the_biker said:
Shuttle thursday, what time? Meet somewhere in enumclaw perhaps?
email me at: james_schiller@comcast.net

-James.
Well... if you guys want to set a time up for say 10am at enumclaw safeway/starbucks that sounds good to me. If I didn't have to take off for class here real soon I could call the DNR and see if the road is still open. I was there on Monday and she said its still open but with the rain the past few days they might of shut it down with low snow elevations? Anyone got a number or can call?
I wouldn't mind shuttling the trail twice if possible? Skookum flats looks tight but not sure how fun it would be on a 40lb bike...

DBR X6 RIDER said:
Nothing wrong with straight singletrack addiction, my friend:thumb:

If nobody in the group that's going knows directions, shoot me a PM or something and I can hook you up with details. It's early Wed., so it's not too late for me to change my mind. From past experiences, I have no urge to go as of now. That's just me...I'm a freak.

p.s. - I put in some SWEET music in my sig. just for you!!! :blah:
Thanks for the music ;)

I think you should come man, if you've got the day off from UI and there's nothing important pending, get your butt outa bed and come ride. I've got a chevy truck, so I can take 3 guys comfortably with gear and bikes. When we shuttle I can load more so if you know anyone else who wants to get in some single track action, bring em!

Sep 8, 2004
I'll be going for sure tomorrow. 10am at the safeway/starbucks? I didn't realize they had a starbucks, but I'll be there. White toyota pickup, extended cab w/ a canopy. That'll be me if you see it in the parking lot. Shuttling ranger creek twice is plenty cool with me. The quickest way to do that is with 3 vehicles.
Park two at the bottom, after the first run, take the 2nd vehicle back up, and then after the 2nd run, take the third vehicle to go get the first two.

Skookum flats isn't too bad on 40lb bikes. My bike weighs 38lbs, and I do a bit of XC on it. Its painful, but fun. In order to shuttle ranger twice, we'll probably be skipping skookum.

Hope to see everybody out there tomorrow!

-james.

jimbo_the_biker said:
Hope to see everybody out there tomorrow!

-james.
James,

Just got off the phone with a friend, there's going to be two of us in my party for sure. I had to locate him a new rear hydraulic brake assembly as he busted his perch. He's headed up to get it now from supergo, is $65 a good deal for a whole rear magura julie disc brake with disc pre bled? They quoted me $70 for the hayes perch with a lever so I figured the pre-bled assembly is his best route and we can sell his parts from his busted rear brake?

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get it on tonight or early in the morning so we are shooting for a 10am time at that safeway. I've got a black chevy, look for the bikes. My name's Josh, short stumpy guy and my friend is Carsten, see you there....can't wait to ride!!!!!!!!!

BTW,

If anyone else is reading this and you want to partake in some runs up at Ranger creek tomorrow, feel free to joing us! 10am, safeway in enumclaw. I've got room for one, maybe two more guys. If we could get a third vehicle going, that would be choice!!!

Sep 8, 2004
I'll be there!
I'm running cheesy hayes mx2 mechanical discs on my current bike. My new bike will have hydro's though. HFX9's for a little while then I'm gonna get hopes, juicy's, or something fun.

-James.

jimbo_the_biker said:
I'll be there!
I'm running cheesy hayes mx2 mechanical discs on my current bike. My new bike will have hydro's though. HFX9's for a little while then I'm gonna get hopes, juicy's, or something fun.

-James.
Looks like it might just be the three of us? DBR is on and off about his decision, would be cool to finally meet him... The other guys in the other post haven't replied yet so hopefully we can get at least one more driver so we can hit up the trail twice!

Sep 8, 2004
Hey,
Well, if I knew more bikers, I'd call em, but I don't. Most of my local friends are wusses and won't bike.

If you want to meet DBR, all ya gotta do is swing by SST. He has been doing a crazy amount of building/fixing out there. There is new and fixed stuff out there every week.

-James.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, I need to build a freaking hut or something out there so I can just camp - be more efficient. Soundproof would be nice.:p

If you wind up running a 3 vehicle shuttle, park the 3rd vehicle near the Camp Shepperd lot (I believe that's the name of it), which is a couple/few miles before the Buck Creek turnoff. It will be on your left as you're heading east out of Greenwater towards Blissville, USA. I'm pretty sure it's the only parking lot on the left side as you're out there.
That way, after you get to the bottom of the first run, you'll be real close to that lot.:cool:

I know, Josh...we're going to be having a few work-parties at SST before too long to get a long doubles line put together and we'll need PLENTY of volunteers (i.e. -
). You (and PLENTY of your friends) should make it to at least one of them.:D

Have fun ripping my favorite trail a new one!

DBR X6 RIDER said:
Yeah, I need to build a freaking hut or something out there so I can just camp - be more efficient. Soundproof would be nice.:p

If you wind up running a 3 vehicle shuttle, park the 3rd vehicle near the Camp Shepperd lot (I believe that's the name of it), which is a couple/few miles before the Buck Creek turnoff. It will be on your left as you're heading east out of Greenwater towards Blissville, USA. I'm pretty sure it's the only parking lot on the left side as you're out there.
That way, after you get to the bottom of the first run, you'll be real close to that lot.:cool:

I know, Josh...we're going to be having a few work-parties at SST before too long to get a long doubles line put together and we'll need PLENTY of volunteers (i.e. -
). You (and PLENTY of your friends) should make it to at least one of them.:D

Have fun ripping my favorite trail a new one!
Word, just keep me posted.

Sep 8, 2004
Ranger creek is my new favorite trail. Its super flowy once you get to the little cabin, and the half mile before it. Had a good 3" of snow up top, made for some fun fishtailing down the hill for a few miles. I was actually quite surprised how well the bikes handled in the snow.
Had a run in with a hornet/yellow jacket. It stung me on the finger, through the glove, then went on to sting yeknomedir right square on the lip. Viscious little insect. Stung like crazy for a good 15 minutes. After that though, it just started flowing. Fun roots here and there, but open enough that you could stay off the brakes and rip a bit.
I know I'll be shuttling that trail again next summer several times!

-james.

Good riding today with you James! I'm just now sitting down after dropping Carst off in Tacoma, getting a burrito and some brew-ha's, took a shower to wash the stink off and aaaaaaaahhhhhhh at last, here I am.

Ride report:
Siiiiiiiiick day! Got up to the top where we encountered 3 inches of snow, possibly more in spots. Spent the first 4 miles hiking, riding and decending in it. As James felt, I was quiet surprised how well the bikes ride in snow.( I think it's a first for me, at least on a trail). Got flowin' for awhile, then as we were rounding the switch back's and pausing to see if all of us could clean em on the big bikes, a nasty hornet flew out from who know's where and stung James in the hand, then he opens his hand only to let the bugger B-line it straight for my lip. Hurt at first, but then my lip swelled and my left molars went numb, rather weird! A few more flowy sections and then on a tricky corner on the single tracks I went down spitting my bike off the trail for a few tumbles. Then it was super flowy all the way down to the highway, what a trail!!! I'd have to mark that down in my favorite book for sure!

We decided earlier on to park a truck at the bottom of skookum so we could continue our riding...big mistake. I was super tired about a mile into skookum and spent the next 4 grumbling as it was tough on my big bike. About a mile left and sure enough I let them get out in front of me only to snap my chain to wrap up the ride with a nice mile walk...

Next time we skip skookum craps and hit up ranger twice!

Fun times, good riding with you James, I'm sure will be hookin' up again once the snow melts.

Josh

Sep 8, 2004
Those hornets are insane. They just go around stinging strangers for no good reason.
Skookum flats has seen better days, thats for sure. My bikes 38lbs, but is setup more like a trail bike, so its tolerable on skookum. But, ranger creek twice would be the best way to spend the day. Especially if the shuttle route up the 72 turns out to be 100% downhill, instead of mixed, like the 7174 route.

Its barely begun to snow, and I can't wait for it to melt. And I LIKE the snow!

-James.