Quantcast

Rattle-Can Mini

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I picked up a used mini for noah at the end of last season. I'm not sure how old it is but it works for him in that we just do bmx for cross training and fun. ie: we're not traveling to any non-local races.

he's been bugging me to paint his mini for some time now to match my "custom" paint job to my P2 (rattle can camo) so this weekend i finally decided to give it a go. i was planning on making it the same color patter as mine but, after the primer coat went on, i realized that his would look pretty sweet in an urban camo theme instead of woodland.

i used a textured black paint to finish it off and it has a rough, sand paper-esque feel to it....very rugged feeling :thumb:

he seems pretty happy with it and keeps talking about how he'll be the only kid with a rattle-can urban camo paint job out at the track :D

totals cost: $4.50 :thumb:

original paint/sticker scheme

manimalized mini

fat man, little boy

and yes, i know he needs new tires.

Last edited:

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Nice job! How did you get that rough look? Just the textured paint? that's awesome. Good to know the next time I want to paint something. For an even better camo look you might try using ferns and things to help randomly create better color splotches. just lay it on the frame and paint over it. But that came out awesome :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
....and then he asked me to do his big bike as well :D
i threw in a little blue to accent it but i'll probably end up redoing it because it's so humid right now that it didn't harden like i wanted it to.

before

after

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
I actually REALLY like his big bike after you painted it! Very cool idea :)

Oh and your little dude is an inspiration to me as a new father (my son was born on May 6th). I'm so excited about introducing him to the sport as he gets older and hope that he is half as good as your son :)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Nice job on the repaints. That mini Redline looks a LOT better - much cleaner even tho the paint is multi-color/camo.

I'm sure Noah's stoked on those rides but have you seen the kids lineup from Kona? I'm glad to see a manufacturer making some good product for the kids. Not cheap but I know with the bikes I buy my kids - the better product you buy you can just hand down to a little brother, sister or cousin.

http://konaworld.com/09_stinky24_u.cfm

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, i've checked out the stinky 24's as well as some old big hit groms. the problem, for now, is that he's in the 5th percentile on the growth chart for his age and he just now fits almost properly on his 20". it'll be at least another year before he can comfortably ride a 24 FS bike, especially considering the added weight.

for height reference...these are 6,7,and 8 year olds at the bmx track and none of them are above average height for their age. noah's in the middle in blue.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
did a little street session today. that boy loves some stairs...not much else he can do until his power/bike weight ratio evens out a little ;)

anyway, the new paint sticks out awesome in this pic
steep stair set he found

getting his huck to flat stage out early

he loves riding at the local university as all the little college girls start oohing and aahing over him when he flies by them hucking some stairs ;) i suppose i don't mind the eye candy either :brows: