Quantcast

REAL '08 66 weight?

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
does anyone know the REAL weight of the '08 marzocchi 66 RC3?

apparently last year the website weighed them without the steerer tube.

how bout the 66 ATA?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
does anyone know the REAL weight of the '08 marzocchi 66 RC3?

apparently last year the website weighed them without the steerer tube.

how bout the 66 ATA?
The website also gave the weight of the steerer tube.

It's simple addition.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't believe those numbers. I believe my fork, a 06 Marathon XC, was listed at 3.7lbs, was actually 4.
Wierd, if you look it up it comes to 4.25lbs claimed on marzocchis site. Did you fail to add the weight of the steerer?

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
my 08 66 ata is 2910 grams with uncut 1 1/8th steerer and axle = 6.4lbs.

i'll cut about 3 inches off the steerer and it will then be approx 2850g or 6.3lbs which is a far cry from the 2690 (5.9lbs) listed on the site.

while its heavier than listed, this was to be expected. weight wise, the 66 ata is a better alternative to a totem which is 2980g (6.55lbs) with cut steel 1 1/8th steerer and 2-step air, the logical closest competitor to the 66 ata. both forks have some issues that may need to be warrantied.

the problem with the 66 ata is that i only measure 165mm of travel. exposed stanction is only 175mm so that would be the max. my talas 36 gets 162mm of travel and is 1.2 lbs lighter than the 66 however, it just doesn't feel as good for real freeriding.

if it weren't on a dedicated FR rig, i'd opt for the 36 over the ata.

Feb 19, 2006
I opened one up when we got ours in and was impressed to see that it waslighter than the claimed weight int he Norco distributors booklet.I forget the actual weight though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
my 08 66 ata is 2910 grams with uncut 1 1/8th steerer and axle = 6.4lbs.

i'll cut about 3 inches off the steerer and it will then be approx 2850g or 6.3lbs which is a far cry from the 2690 (5.9lbs) listed on the site.

while its heavier than listed, this was to be expected. weight wise, the 66 ata is a better alternative to a totem which is 2980g (6.55lbs) with cut steel 1 1/8th steerer and 2-step air, the logical closest competitor to the 66 ata. both forks have some issues that may need to be warrantied.

the problem with the 66 ata is that i only measure 165mm of travel. exposed stanction is only 175mm so that would be the max. my talas 36 gets 162mm of travel and is 1.2 lbs lighter than the 66 however, it just doesn't feel as good for real freeriding.

if it weren't on a dedicated FR rig, i'd opt for the 36 over the ata.
Jesus christ, for the last time, ADD THE WEIGHT OF THE STEERER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

Marzocchi claims 2945 for your fork 2690g + 255g, you fork WEIGHS LESS THAN MARZOCCHI CLAIMS, HOLY CRAP!! HAVE A NICE DAY.
:banghead:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Jesus christ, for the last time, ADD THE WEIGHT OF THE STEERER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

Marzocchi claims 2945 for your fork 2690g + 255g, you fork WEIGHS LESS THAN MARZOCCHI CLAIMS, HOLY CRAP!! HAVE A NICE DAY.
:banghead:
Did you look before you started typing this? :banghead:

Here's a link

This is a screen shot of the 66 page. You can see there is NO reference to that at the bottom of the page, top of the page, or anywhere on there.

Secondly if they're not including a steerer tube in their weights, it should have an astrik (*) next to the weight stating that it doesn't include a steerer tube weight.

The picture will do the rest of the talking. Maybe look next time before you start spouting off...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its like Ragu spagetti sauce... its in there... you just have to look for it. I think Zoke does it intentialy, so you think its lighter than other manufacturers forks.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
the 66 ata is a better alternative to a totem which is 2980g (6.55lbs) with cut steel 1 1/8th steerer and 2-step air, the logical closest competitor to the 66 ata. both forks have some issues that may need to be warrantied.

the problem with the 66 ata is that i only measure 165mm of travel. exposed stanction is only 175mm so that would be the max.
how is the 66ata a better alternative to the totem?

Well, it sounds like marz. has NOT solved their "lack of full travel due to the PAR piston/system" before unleashing their '08 sl ata. Please let us know if your ATA starts winding down by itself as well.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
I just tossed an '08 66 RC3 on my 7Point, and my front-end feels much lighter than when I had the '06 66 RC2X on there. I should have weighed it before I put it on there...Oh well. It's definitely a bit lighter than the '06 model though, and it looks badass.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i really like the totem. i've done a few laps at WBP on one and it's a great fork. motion/mission control rocks as does the low/flood gate tunability. not quite as nice as a boxxer WC but pretty damn close IMO. i haven't ridden my new 66ata yet (waiting for some parts) but the 07 66 i did ride felt great also. no better or worse than the totem IMHO. the marzocchi "feel" is certainly unique and is personal preference.

I thought the 66 was a better alternative to the totem since (a) it's lighter (to the tune of a measly 0.3lbs) and (b) it has infinite adjustment for playing with your head angle/travel setting vs. the totem all or nothing 135-180mm 2-step.

i was going to return the 66ata cause i was originally pissed that it only had 165mm travel but my buddies convinced me not to. it's a hardcore FR fork, the quality of the travel is fantastic and it's light and stong and that's what i was looking for. i'll try to get marzocchi to get at least 170-175mm out of the fork but i don't think it will ever get 180mm but that's fine with me.

also, looks-wise the 66 has the totem beat hands down IMO.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Gratiflying, thanks for your response. I've had an '07 66sl ata for allmost a year now, and I shared a couple of the problems that many others who owned this fork had. Lack of full travel, and ATA auto wind-down. I don't have much faith that marz. solved either of these problems for '08, but that will be seen.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
how much travel do people get from the 07 66ata?

i live 3 minutes from marzocchi canada in lynn valley so my 08 is going back there after it's broken in so that i get at least 170mm travel.

its the misleading advertising that bugs me most - similar to the website advertised weight thing. sure the axle-crown/weight chart lists the steerer weights separately but whether it's intentional or not, its misleading. however, marzocchi is not the only guilty manufacturer.

it's a great fork, why not just be honest - 170mm travel & 6.25lbs - and not disappoint everyone? guess that's why i'm not in marketing ;)

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
I'll be honest. It's a 180mm travel fork. It shouldn't be a 160mm fork, even after sending it back to have that issue fixed. The ATA should not fail and auto-wind-down, and marzocchi should be able to fix that issue as well, but their track record for that is pretty poor. The PAR system doesn't function the same when the fork is set at it's travel extremes, 140/180mm, due to it's design. The PAR piston interferes with full travel, and the size of the PAR chamber varies so much with the differences beteween the two extremes of travel adjustment that the set-up for PAR at 180 doesn't work for the set-up for PAR at 140. But hey, that was the '07 model. They fixed all that right? :twitch:
:disgust1:
I suggest you go to www.mtbr.com, to the suspension forum, and do a search on the 66sl ata, so you can see for yourself why people roll their eyes when you mention this fork.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i stand corrected, my 08 66ata does indeed get 180mm travel right out of the box. some funky ata/par settings (both are new to me) and sticky seals which haven't broken in, led me to initially believe that it was only getting 165mm travel when in fact it does get a full 180mm travel. whether the ata winds down on it's own or not remains to be seen.

appologies for the mis-information.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
i stand corrected, my 08 66ata does indeed get 180mm travel right out of the box. some funky ata/par settings (both are new to me) and sticky seals which haven't broken in, led me to initially believe that it was only getting 165mm travel when in fact it does get a full 180mm travel. whether the ata winds down on it's own or not remains to be seen.

appologies for the mis-information.
Congrats Marzocchi....you're one up on Rockshox. My Totem 2-step still remains a Solo Air....since May, and it hasn't worked properly since the 3rd ride after I bought it in April. Word from Sram is that it's not solved yet.

edit....and I just read of someone that bought an 08 Lyric 2step (with the new and improved system) that is not returning to full travel. Shame on you Rockshox.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Dose anyone have a REAL weight of a 888RC3 WC???

Listed 6.98lbs. Someone said out of Box theres was 8.3LBS!! So the Regular RC3 listed at 7.5lb would be like 8.7lb. NO WAY!!!

bwahahaha!!!
nice e-extrapolation to back up your e-speculation!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, Ted, you help to install a brand new 08 66 RC3X, and you didn't weigh it?