Quantcast

Really great Porters...?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have only recently discovered the yummy goodness of the 'porter.'

What are some really good ones and what are some to avoid?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My favorite...

STOVEPIPE PORTER

Stovepipe Porter is made in the traditional porter stlye, and is a favorite with all porter lovers. Ruby-black in color, Stovepipe Porter has a rich palate and a roasted, hoppy aroma. It is delicious on its own or with a meal, and tastes great with chocolate.

(OG: 1054, 30 IBU)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
N8 said:
I have only recently discovered the yummy goodness of the 'porter.'

What are some really good ones and what are some to avoid?
Sierra Nevada porter is great.
I also like Anchor's version of this.

Avoid Yeungling porter, if a real porter is what you are looking for. Not that it's bad, it's just not really a porter.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Mackie said:

I will second this, especially the Anchor. Also the Black Butte. Those three are pretty much all the porter I need, although the Sam Smith (Tadcaster?) is pretty tasty too.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Anchor porter, Grants perfect porter, Stone smoked porter, and Smuttynose robust porter are all worth a try. I liked Ancor and Grants the best.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Mackie said:
Avoid Yeungling porter, if a real porter is what you are looking for. Not that it's bad, it's just not really a porter.
Sure it is. It's a style of porter known as Brown Porter, probably closer to real porter than most of what's on the market today.
As I understand it, porter was originally a blend of beers favored by porters, hence the name. Eventually breweries realized the popularity of the style and began trying to emulate the blend at the brewery rather than letting the pub mix several brands together.

Americans tend to favor Robust Porters. Those from US breweries, as with most American interpretations of English beers, tend to be hoppier, higher gravity (more alcohol), and generally bolder beers.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Mackie said:

yeah the SN is a great one especially fresh on tap at their restaurant and bar.:drool: :drool:

Also i enjoy all of the Anchors varietals.

Raacerx

Monkey
All my favorites have been mentioned, but Ill recap.

Samual Smith Taddy Porter
Anchor Steam Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter

Im really not a fan of Sierra Nevada beers in general, in fact I hate them to be frank. However, I have recently been pleasantly suprised with the Nevada Porter. They dont hold back on flavor, Ill give them that.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I'm a smoked porter fan myself, and by far the best I've had in that group is Brooklyn's Brewmasters Reserve - Smoked Porter.

I also like Alaskan Smoked Porter.

I heard SN actually brews their porter differently depending on whether it is on tap or bottled. I've heard on tap is much better.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'll probably get smacked for saying this but one of my favorites is Yuengling Porter. People don't find it to be as "porter'ish" as they would like but I really enjoy it!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I had a really great porter in New York City once, dude was dressed really well, very polite, took good care of my bags and even had a hot tip on a good local bar where I enjoyed some delicous porter.

:weee: :rolleyes:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I just drank my flag porter. It was pretty good, I like mine a little more 'smokey' I guess in taste. Still good though, I only have my samuel smiths taddy porter left to drink out of my porters but how can I complain about that?:) I haven't had yuengling porter yet, I will guess its pretty good for the price, but not on par with some of the better ones mentioned here. If I were to go to the store and just get an average drinking beer I usually pick up a yuengling black and tan, its like the same price as molson and labatt and way better. I hope they start carrying that yuengling porter at wegmans, because I can't complain about drinking a 12pack or porter for like 8 bucks.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
BikeGeek said:
This is one of my favorites. More of a brown porter than a robust (see post #12).

I've seen that and thought about trying it, but hadn't heard anything about it. Next time I see one I'll give it a try.