Quantcast

Rear shock?

scottbrixie

Chimp
Dec 13, 2011
I have a Santa Cruz Butcher which currently has a Fox Float RL rear shock. The shock sucks! I want a new shock. Was considering the Marz Roco Air. Anyone running this shock? Was also thinking of the CCDB air but thats twice the price...Any thoughts. Oh and I dont want a DHX that Ill have to ship off to get revalved..

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
must be one of the worst thread Ive seen in a long time.

First if you want to get the best answer you need to tell us what it is that you dont like about that shock! Top end small bumps or mid stroke ? Is it the bottom out control? Rebound ? , On what type of trail do you hate it the most , fast , loose, hardpack, gnarly ? Is it like a pogo stick or does it feel dead ? HOw much sag are you running, have you tried servicing the can and bearings first ? How long have you hated it ?The Butcher is pretty rough on bearing and if you've been riding it pretty hard I bet a good bearing job would make a great deal of difference on your bike.

My girlfriend has a Butcher with a RP23 ( which I dont is that far from yours but perhaps it is ? ) and after riding it for months last fall ,I thought the shock was more than adequate for THAT bike. ( an entry level SantaCruz bike) .

The bike biggest weakness is in the chunder IMO.It can be a tad wallowy and doesnt track all that good, but for less than 4k,( for the top model ) the geo is a lot of fun , the bike corners really well and overall makes for a fun "poppy" little bike

Second of all, how did you get the idea that a DHX air HAS to be revalved right off the bat?Your own experience or you "heard" that ?

It is true that this shock IN THE PAST was a pretty bad match with some bikes but the latest crops of those is pretty darn good...Much better than any Roccos Ive tried I'd say ! lol :thumb:

What makes you say a Rocco would work better right off the shelf , have you tried both on your Butcher ???

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I tested a Butcher for a few days with a X-Fusion O2 with big air can and also with a Vector Air and I was very very impressed with the Vector Air, give it a try, you won't regret it.

scottbrixie

Chimp
Dec 13, 2011
So tuumbag why do I need to tell you why I dont like the shock? I dont like it..dont like most of FOX shocks for that matter for various different reasons. And you might think the Butcher is an entry level bike...but the only thing stock on this bike is the shock..which sux. I could have emptied my wallet on a higher priced frame but I chose not to. This bike, in my opinion, handles great. I was trying to get a little info on a couple shocks I was looking at. I dont intend to throw down 4, 5,or 6 hundred bucks on something Im not gonna be happy with...And as far as my riding..Ill ride just about anything but I tend to lean towards downhill. Hope to make it to Downieville a couple times this season if I can get the time off work. And no I havent tried a Rocco thats why I was asking about it BEFORE I bought it.

So not to sound like a dick but if you dont have any good info to post/share dont. I just wanted to know a little more about a couple of shocks I was looking at....not get berated about why I dont like Fox shocks or my choice of bike

scottbrixie

Chimp
Dec 13, 2011
Tacubaya..Thanks for the info. Im kinda leaning towards this shock. The HLR has all the adjustments Im looking for. Was looking at the Vivid as well...