Quantcast

Rear Susp – Lock or Not?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
So, I’m spec’ing out my Racer-X. I’ve got one buddy that prefers to lock out his rear suspension for climbing on his Switchblade, another buddy has never flipped the switch and just climbs with the suspension active (Racer-X). If I’m spinning and not mashing, I don’t think it would be a problem to keep the rear active?:monkey:

Anyone have some opinions? I’m thinking it’s a $75 upgrade, so why not have the option (I like climbing anyhow).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
In my opinion, you don't really need the lock-out with the Racer-X, it doesn't bob like a lot of FS bikes when you climb. I lockout my front fork when climbing scary steep stuff sometimes because it lowers the front of my bike about 3 inches and makes it harder to pop wheelies. If I had the option to lockout the back, I probably never would.

Woohoo, new bike!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'm on a single pivot Heckler and its very rare for me to lockout. I do pedal fairly smoothly and the little motion I get is from the weight of my legs going up and down not chain induced. I tested by coasting and moving my leg up and down out of the pedal. Same movement.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I really like the way a soild suspension design can aid climbing by keeping your rear wheel planted over rough terrain. It sould always work WITH you....well, theres my $.02.

Have fun with the new rig!:monkey:

K

kitchenware

SC SL with a Fox RC and I have yet to use the lockout feature. Not worth the extra $ IMO

~kw