Quantcast

Rear Thru-Axles

UpstatePride

Chimp
Feb 1, 2002
Upstate NY
Hi, semi-dumb question: will a 12mm thru-axle fit standard rear dropouts. As in, I have QR in the rear now, will a 12mm thru-axle just fit right in there? Thanks.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
unless you (or someone with steady hands and right drill bit size) drill the dropouts from 9mm to 12mm holes..if you have one of those replaceable hanger...don't even try to drill it..

UpstatePride

Chimp
Feb 1, 2002
Upstate NY
Sorry, should've clarified more. Will the 12mm Thru-axle fit in the same drop-outs as the standard QR? I could just measure it I suppose, but typing is a lot easier than taking the wheel off. Thanks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by UpstatePride
Sorry, should've clarified more. Will the 12mm Thru-axle fit in the same drop-outs as the standard QR? I could just measure it I suppose, but typing is a lot easier than taking the wheel off. Thanks.
Orven answered this very question.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Riff Raff
My bike guy used a 12mm axle on my xt hub for the M1 he built for me. But the frame came with some spacer's that i think reduced the size of the holes in the drop-outs. It feels good...

-H
Intense M1 and Uzzi SLX frames are not typical, as they have spacers to reduce to either 9 mm or 12 mm as you found out.