Quantcast

rebuild 2001 z1 or new fr III

ASH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2003
Got a problem my 2001 z1 drop off needs a complete overhaul gona get pricey
shop told me zochi has an upgrade program could get a z1 free ride III for like $400 which amouts to about $50 maybe $65 in savings. Anyone have any experince with the new free ride forks, or should I upgrade to one of the higher end forks. It's mounted on a azonic saber trail riding and some drops mixed in. Trying to resist the urge to spend the extra doe but its not easy.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
The 04s will be significantly stronger than the 01s, for that alone id do the upgrade. Im not sure what internals are in the 01 drop off vs the new z1 III, but id go with the upgrade even at a loss of better internals (thoguh i think the 01 drop off had a simple ssv set up).

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Mattoid said:
The 04s will be significantly stronger than the 01s, for that alone id do the upgrade. Im not sure what internals are in the 01 drop off vs the new z1 III, but id go with the upgrade even at a loss of better internals (thoguh i think the 01 drop off had a simple ssv set up).
Yep, the 01 Drop Off had Open Bath Adjustable SSV Valving and 30mm EA70 Stanchions.

The Z1 Freeride III has the same Dual SSV System and 32mm EA70 Stanchions.
But keep in mind that the freeride series have a thru axle in 2005, so you need a 20mm TA hub.

The Freeride III will be a lot stiffer and stronger, but the damping quality will be the same as your old Z1.
The Freeride II has a much better damping system (One side: HSCV and the other side SSV Cartridge)
Plus the Freeride II has Single External Rebound Adjustment.

You will notice a big difference between the III (or Z1 drop Off) and the II because of the HSCV Cartridge.
It's worth the extra $$.

ASH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2003
Thanks for your input, my 01 z1 has qr 20 dropouts so that wont be a problem, you have confirmed what I was thinking about the fr III the lack of ajustability is a concern.