Quantcast

Recommend me a cheap mini dh bike.

mud-flaps

Chimp
Apr 18, 2012
I'm after a 2nd hand frame and want something that pedals well, has about 170mm travel (coil shock) and can take a beating.

I will probably slacken it off to about 65 deg with offset shockbushings/angleset, so it is fun for dh, but is not too slack to pedal back up. Not much in the way of chairlifts in the uk and very few tracks warrant having a full dh bike, so I'm going for shorter travel and a single crown fork.

So far I have seen the sx trail and giant reign x (both 08) that look pretty good. Anything else I should be considering?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I definitely agree the Voltage FR is a great mini DH bike, but it wouldn't be my choice to pedal back uphill. The 14" seat tube would make it tough to get your seat up to a reasonable pedalling height.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Voltage FR or Intense SS. My voltage weighs in at 35# with lowered totem and single plys. With a 12-36 cassette and 34 tooth ring I can climb it anywhere. The frame works really well with a 8.75 x 2.75 shock in the 240mm shock mounts, as BuckoW stated a while ago. The bb gets crazy low (~12"?) with ~64 HA with this setup. It also corners awesome with a 240 e2e shock in the 240 mounts, for that matter. Even with a through axle, the Voltage is really flexy, but not as bad as a first gen. SS. My buddy's SS works well with 2* Works headset and weighs in around 32#.

Both of these bikes allow good leg extension for xc, and pop VERY well with air shocks. I hardly even ride my dh rig any more.