Quantcast

Recommend me some good Ska Tunes/Bands Please!

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Heh, nope, but I thought about getting one. Probably best that I didn't since I got into them late and probably didn't see enough shows to have broken even on the ink. I did see them at least 6 or 7 times though, including an awesome set at the Simple Machines Records "funeral" in DC and a gig in San Diego where I snuck out of a dinner with the company CEO to attend the show.
I am so unbelievably jealous. They're pretty much what got me into "music". I got "Scream Dracula Scream" in middle school and dug around from there. By the time I had my license, they had pretty much stopped playing shows. And, finally, by the time they played their last two shows, I was too young to get into the 21+ venues. Judging by the part where skipped a meeting to see them, I've got a feeling they were amazing live. Did you ever get to talk to the guys?

And on the subject of ASOB. If you ever get into them, you need to check out Bomb The Music Industry! Not so much ska as it is awesome, but it's definitely something worth listening to.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
for PUNK ROCK SKA, I am suprised to not see mention (unless I missed it) of Operation Ivy (one of my all time favs.) I saw them when I was like 15... they pulled up in this old 70's station wagon with a metal box welded to the roof, they proced to pull their equipment out, including little 10 watt practice amps that could have been the main contributing factor in their skanky sound! They were really a fun band!

I was looking for someone to suggest Op Ivy...

For another Punk/Ska crossover.... Citizen fish was one of my favorites....

Ocron

Chimp
Nov 11, 2001
MA
Skarmageddon comps were ok for discovering new bands but generally filled w/ crap. Two of my favorite 90's ska comps were "Girls Go Ska" and "Welcome to Skannecticut". The Moon Ska promo samplers were usually decent too.
Two of my fav 90's comps -

"Step On It - The best of the ska parade radio show"
"Misfits of Ska" (the first one, II wasn't nearly as good)

Oh, the first person that mentions Goldfinger is banned for life. :biggrin:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I had a bit of a ska phase...

Toasters
Selecter (or?) (Arnold Schwartzenegger...It's not a tumor! was that them?)
The Specials
Toots and the Maytals
Some of the super old Bob Marley is kinda ska-esque too.
-Me, Mom and Morgentaller (tahler?) was Montreal band that everyone loved at the time.

Oh, and Goldfinger. They're super duper. For me to poop on.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
surprised it took 3 pages for Operation Ivy to show up.

though, i don't know if i ever considered them as 'ska'.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Madness album art
The wife always seems annoyed whenever we pass by a certain store and I says "Bed...Bath...Beyond..." I don't think she gets it, or she does and is tired of my corny ska joke.

-ska todd

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Sorry if any of these are reposts -

Ednas Goldfish - I am pretty sure they are defunct
Reel Big Fish -
Doctor Manette - old moon ska band I believe, now defunct.
Buck O Nine - also defunct
The aquabats
Catch 22 - Streetlight is made up of former C22 members
Five Iron Frenzy - christian ska, now defunct
OC Supertones - more christian ska
The Hippos
The Pietasters
The Planet Smashers
The Rx Bandits - sort of Ska-ish
Suburban Legends

I really like Big D and Mustard Plug - I saw them together with Catch 22 last fall and it was great show.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Goddy43 said:
Ednas Goldfish - I am pretty sure they are defunct
Yep they are. I know the mention of Edna's Goldfish around the ears of some Moon Ska fans causes up roar either because 1. they consider them ska-pop or ska-emo or 2. they blame them in part for Moon's demise but they were the focal point of the LI/NY scene for a couple years there.

Their last "real" show was somewhere around Halloween '00 if I remember right. About two years ago they did a "reunion show" (go figure a guy who went on to form a band called Reunion Show did an actual reunion show of his former band) to benefit a band member's brother who had cancer. The show was just plain awesome and was like a rewind to old shows. They sounded really tight. The ending was a bit anti-climactic in that during their encore, last song they would ever be playing again, Brian got cracked in the head w/ a guitar and couldn't finish "Veronica Sawyer".

Oh, and random trivia is that their old trombone player rides up CT way. Dunno if he's around here though...Matt?

Goddy43 said:
Buck O Nine - also defunct
"What Happened to My Radio?" is still one of my all time favorite songs.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I'm sure you know that Bucket started another label. Anything good under the new banner?
Think Bucket moved full time to Spain or something. I haven't been too in tune w/ the scene for a couple years now. Just sorta paying attention to The Slackers, Pietasters, and any old bands that re-group or what not. The Allstonians are back together so I might have to find my way up to Boston to see them sometime. I'd love to see Skavoovie play again. They were rumoured to be reforming but then I guess it didn't pan out.

-ska todd

The Selecter are awesome, The English Beat as well.
i went to see a cover band for the Beat on Friday night, everyone was super stoked on it and there was this like 60 year old schoolteacher going insane on the dance-floor, he danced all night and stunk the whole place up, but it was cool because he was so stoked on it... everyone in the band was grinning ear-to-ear as well, there was just such a good vibe all night, it was sick!!!

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I used to laugh every time I had to order that for the shop I used to work at. Did you ever notice they were on "Pass the Virgin" Records and the UPC ended with 666?
I only had a burned copy, so no. But that is pretty funny.

I just tried to explain the satanic ska band to the GF, but she didn't get it. Oh well.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Maybe not true SKA, but nothing beats the english beat. Especially "special beat service."

Also the specials for those of us old enough to remember.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I just want to bump up this thread because I'm on a Streetlight Manifesto kick lately.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Streetlight is on tour with Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake this summer.

I am going to see them in July, it should be an awesome show.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thats correct, July 10th.

And I just checked their site and apparently RBF has a new album coming out on the 11th.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of RBF. Probably had something to do with them being more mainstream for a while....

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
How did I miss this thread? ;)

Mark, there was this magazine, published for a few years back in the mid-90's, that had tons of great info on ska bands at the time. I think it was called "Ska-tastrophe"...

;)