Quantcast

Recommendation for a GOOD wireless router

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had my second Linksys wireless router die on me. While I don't do wireless, the rest of the family does, and they were complaining to me why does a $50 piece of equipment fail.

Anyway, does someone have a recommendation for a wireless router under $300 that will last for 3 years?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have the D-Link DI-524 and it rocks. No probs in the past 1.5 years, decent signal strength.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Weird, I've got a Linksys B router that's about 2.5 years old that still works, and a G router that's a year and a half old that still works.

So, I would have recommended Linksys :p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Both times, no response to ping, login, etc.

I wonder if keeping it in the basement is messing them up.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You still get power to them and have tried a hard reset, though?

Strange. Is your basement particularly damp?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In San Francisco? Probably. But the modem has held up fine.

Maybe the next router will have to live upstairs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I posted this in another thread. I've had this router working for 6 months with no issues.

Trendnet makes a great one (TEW-611BRP) that does automatic or rules based traffic shaping/QoS, has MIMO wireless technology for great range, WPA2, decent logging, and rock stable full featured firmware (the best I've come across in consumer routers). It goes for $36 after rebate on newegg. The chipset is the same chipset found in the Zytel X-550 and D-Link DI-634M according to Tomshardware guide.

They have good support too as WPA2 would not work on OSX (worked fine on Windows) and they updated the router firmware for me on request as a fix (for some reason they still posted it on their site and its been a month). I guess I'm the only OSX user that uses their router and WPA2-PSK :D