Quantcast

recommendation needed to replace EOS kit lens

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i need an everyday lens that's not the very mediocre kit lens, yet also isn't overpriced. i don't need stabilization, just something that works well in 95% of my shots: nature, not fast moving people, and from a stable position. don't have any off-camera flash requirements, but may seek to move onto that.

help a n00b out? also, where to buy once i decide: pawn, cl, ebay?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
are you using a tripod? what focal length range? what isn't the kit lens doing for you already? if you are using a tripod, then speed shouldn't matter.

the above recommendation sounds ok, unless you want ultra-wide (on a crop, somewhere between 10-24mm). the sigma lens in the 'typical' focal length range of 17-50 might work well also.

www.fredmiranda.com is a good resource for user reviews:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php?cat=45

if you go craigslist, i'd only use a local person and would want to check out the lens in person. also, ask for sample photos from it, both stopped down and wide open.

edit - i buy pretty much all my new gear from B&H photo. i've bought used gear from users on fredmiranda.com and POTN.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
tripod: yes
focal len: 220...221...whatever it takes
kit lens isn't doing everything for me; yes, i'm one of "those"

potn is a bit overwhelming & over-informative. i'd say too much signal-to-noise, but that's not really true

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well the kit lens has a good general focal length (18-55) and if you are using a tripod you can stop it down and get reasonable sharpness. maybe you should look into some split gradient or neutral density filters, or a circular polarizer?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
i'd say too much signal-to-noise
You'd be correct.

If budget isn't a limit, the Canon 17-40mm F/4 L is a great lens. You do lose a bit on the long end vs. a "standard" crop 17-55 zoom, something that can be supplemented with a cheap 50mm prime.

If you want more of an all-around lens, the 24-105 F/4 L is also a good choice, but I think used they're almost double the price of the 17-40 ($800-900). Not a great landscape lens on a crop body, however.

If you don't need a quick aperture (and it sounds like you don't), the fast third party zooms (Sigma, Tamron) seem kind of like a poor choice when you can get the Canon 17-40 for a little bit more. They're rarely as good as the Canon L lenses optically, and their build quality is nowhere near as nice. They're also marked by rampant QC issues and, depending on the model, slow AF.

All that said, the Canon 18-55 kit isn't a terrible lens and narlus made a very valuable suggestion in maybe investing in some filters. Why do you want to get something new?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Why do you want to get something new?
just like getting a new rm flatline 3, i want to replace skill w/ equipment. but unlike a new bike, a lens is in the budget
here's a thread w/ a bunch of shots taken w/ the kit lens which can give you some ideas of its capacity and limitations:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522
as usual, it comes down to the fact i need to invest some time & get some chops instead of short-cutting. my kit lens is in perfect shape, but my bullit is beat to snot (mechanically tip-top, though)

i'll get it together before i re-visit any talk of dropping coin & flashing my piece. there's only one :banned:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the kit lens is slow and doesn't autofocus that well, but for shots it sounds like you are interested in, composition and lighting are far more important.

'flash yr piece' = :rofl:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ive asked the same question a while ago because i didnt like my kitlens, 18/55mm Canon.
I was gonna buy the 17/40mm Canon but came across a 10/22mm Canon when I was in Thailand.
The difference in sharpness and color between the kitlens and the EFS 10/22mm lens is remarkable and my photos look much better.

Im still gonna buy the 17/40mm Canon to replace the kitlens...
Heres some uneditted photos I took with it.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
i just picked up a sigma 17-70mm f 2.8 for 200 bucks off craigslist .. not to bad i like it