Quantcast

Redbull Rampage 2023

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I find it amusing that this event is in the next state over, yet it is geo restricted. It never used to be. So stupid.

Yeah, yeah, VPN to the rescue. But still. Shaking my head.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Damn, Godziek looked fantastic until going down hard.

Other than that same as every year, suspect judging and commentators that sound like what I think would be the product of a pickup truck banging a can of Monster. Bro.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Some incredible runs so far. Scoring controversies aside, TVS ninja drop was bananas, Faircloughs run was one of the coolest rampage runs I've ever seen, and Zink's off axis drop was... I don't have words for it. Bananas.

So glad to see people getting up after the crashes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Judging is weird!
Why do they have such a hard on for a caveman? A BMX street/park trick that's surely not the hardest/riskiest/most stylish move to pull? I don't get it. Especially when they were completely uninterested in Dylan Stark grinding that rail last year.
It's barely half a trick. Like half a seat grab no footer.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
was able to tune in for the second runs after vpn-ing in from japan. gotta say, it was nice to not have hours of wind holds and other bullshit. the broadcast/production value was pretty good. bienv. is a beast. the party train camaraderie was cool. stoked for zink but feel like judging was odd, esp. not seeing bigger boosts in scores after improved runs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Gutted for Szymon. Probably the only one who had a complete run that could rival Zink looking at all the tricks he had in line. Thankfully Dawid's IG claims he only dislocated his wrist.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Bienvenido won 3x times today: Magazza Spirit, Best Trick and People Choice. Zink won once. So it kinda evens out.

This was the least worst Rampage in a while. Great to see Strait go straight and get his redemption. Brendog's line was bonkers. And no one died on live television.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I thought this one was good to watch. Judging was judging, but didn't seem too far off. And no big wind or other delays. No major delays or injuries, so all good.

Though that said, I was also "working" while watching. So maybe it went by quicker than reality and perhaps I missed some intricate details, but it was great.

Party laps by Storch and <long named athlete> was great.

Also hearing them mic'd up on course was cool. Hearing the chears, fucks and whatnot was awesome.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Judging is weird!
Why do they have such a hard on for a caveman? A BMX street/park trick that's surely not the hardest/riskiest/most stylish move to pull? I don't get it. Especially when they were completely uninterested in Dylan Stark grinding that rail last year.
I am working tommorow and tryin to watch this while cooking. Right at the rider after Zink. It Is on Pause.

I have to Start with thoughts so far:
Straight was incredible on the first run That last drop he flew forever! If I were him,I’d go out with that. Unreal.

Whats with this CaveMan loss of memory? “Brendog did it last year”,”but not to this level”. Umm,check me Monkeys,Reeder came up on the Ledge of Death on a big ass rock and Jumped Up and then brought it home. How many years ago?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Judging is weird!
Not to mention they gave No Love for Reeder,or whatever his name was When he first did it. It was Crazy! As far as points go Gary,sorry,but we must give a lot of points for such a Risky move from the get. It’s not about how hard,but how risky Brother.

Avy

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Not enough tailknackwhiptruckdrivers.

Or were there too many?

At least it didn’t require 4 hrs of drama filler due to wind delays.

I want my dangerous figure skating concise.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Missed the start last night and just caught up on the first runs.

Who's the 40yr old virgin llokin presenter guy locked out of the "judges" portatoilet?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The riding and scenery are fantastic, but I can't endure 3.5 hours of bullshit filling commentary in a 4 hours event. It feels like watching the last 3 minutes of a Superbowl game for 4 hours. I just can't.

I watched the whole event on FFW and it did not take long before I simply did not care about the points at all. I love watching the runs though.

I'll stick to the best runs compilation next year.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Not a fan of judged sport for this reason. No disrespect but Bienve was robbed just like Mcgarry. When the video shows the judges trailer throwing their arms up cheering for certain guys we are supposed to believe the judging is fair? Brendan should have podiumed, when Van steenbergen took the lead with his caveman run I almost turned it off. Seems like a boys club at Rampage, they are all buddies and cliques. Just a conflict of interest waiting to happen. Its a shame, they should have a text in vote for the people champions. Garuntee Bienve and Brendan both place higher, Talus Turks run should have been higher than 5th as well.
Whats with he 2 riders riding down together at the end? If you aren't first place how are you gonna take a victory lap like you're shaun white?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
As I said before, I think having Nicholi at the booth seriously improved the overall experience. In past editions we had to endure guys thrown at the event without any prior knowledge of it, or focusing too much in the technical aspects of it (why do the riders use single crown forks, how the bikes differ from motorcycles, etc). Plus he takes some of the burden off Cam's shoulders, genuinely enabling a good, enjoyable conversation.

Oh, and yeah, the judges should be taken off the event to start with. I'd like to see something like the FEST Series, but with Red Bull's deep pockets.

Last edited: