Quantcast

Remove grips-non-destructive

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I will never, ever, as long as I live, use normal grips on my bikes again. It will be lock-ons exclusively until the day I die.

That said, I use a long, thin screwdriver (phillips will be less inclined to damage your grips), slide it under the grip, and work it around the handlebar while pulling/pushing the grip off. I've heard that soapy water works well (similar to tires), but I've never tried it.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
binary visions said:
I will never, ever, as long as I live, use normal grips on my bikes again. It will be lock-ons exclusively until the day I die.

That said, I use a long, thin screwdriver (phillips will be less inclined to damage your grips), slide it under the grip, and work it around the handlebar while pulling/pushing the grip off. I've heard that soapy water works well (similar to tires), but I've never tried it.
Compressed air is the shiznit for this.
I've even used the compressed air cans that you use for cleaning your computer and stuff.

Just get a small nozzle, get it just under the grip, and let it fly. Do not stand perpendicular to the handlebar or you can get a high-velocity grip in the crotch.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If you have access to compressed air, that's by far the easiest way. You just tuck the nozzle under the edge and blast air under the grip. It will slide right off. Same to get it back on. Otherwise try waht Binary said or get read y to wrestle for a while.

poguemothoin

Chimp
Aug 23, 2004
santa cruz california
To remove grips I use a relatively large gauge syringe filled with water or alcohol and inject thru the grip mid range 3 places in cirfumference. The grip gets released easily.
Alcohol also works for putting on a grip and evaporates fast, water takes more time to evaporate, however hairspray works great for putting on a grip and then sticks after a few minutes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I just peel back the grip a little and dribble a few drops of water under the grip and work the grip around untill the whole thing slides off, I do the same to get it back on too and give it a few days for the water to evporate out, I'm too cheap to cut my grips off every time I break a shifter or a break lever.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
binary visions said:
i agree. ODI's all the way! also, i have never been able to transfer grips. ever. ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever! I always had to cut 'em off with wire cutters or scissors. i got closest with drilling a hole in the of the grip, so there's no vacume-creation-age inside. might work better for you.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I use a combination of aforementioned tactics. First, if shifters/levers are present, I loosen them and move them out of the way. Then, with a thin, flat-bladed screwdriver, I pry up a small piece of the grip, and then dripple rubbing alcohol under it. Once a little gets in there, it makes it easier to continue to move the blade around. Dribble in a little bit more as you gently pry, and soon you'll break the vacuum, and the grip will slide off. It helps the have the bike on it's side, with the grip vertical so the alcohol will run down into it.

Alcohol is better than water in this application, because it'll dry in a matter of minutes, and you can quickly re-apply the grips. I would agree that compressed air is the best, but if yer w/o a compressor, the alcohol/screwdriver trick works real smart-like.

To re-apply grips, I also use alcohol. A few dribbles inside the grip allow it to slide on easily, and it dries out quickly, usually w/i 24 hours, sooner if you can get it into the sunlight.

WD-40 is not ideal unless you're not gunna install the grips for awhile. I agree Lock-Ons are the way to go but if you don't have/want them then compressed air is what I've had the best luck with. As mentioned before a can of the computer cleaning stuff will work.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
When ODI's weren't around I used a small (mini) screwdriver some water (had a spray bottle handy) and after getting a little between the grip and bar a couple twists was all it took to remove the grip. It isn't that hard.

Installing them could be done in reverse....but I opted with hairspray (the cheap Aquanet stuff super extra hold or whatever is strongest) the hairspray goes on wet allowing the grip to be positioned and then helped by making a tacky "glue" under the grip. I let them sit for as long as possible (over night). Water will loosen the hairspray once it is time to take it off again.

On my motorcycle I have been known to use spray paint....same idea but the grip sticks a little better...normally had to cut them off. Oh and I safety wired them too....WA can get pretty nasty in the winter.

But for MTB ODI is a no brainer....I have them on all of my bikes.