Quantcast

Removing front hub bearings

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So I have one Hope Bulb front hub with roached bearings, and another with good bearings but a bad rim. Want to switch the good bearings into the hub with the good rim, naturally.

Unfortunately, I can't get the bearings out. One of them (with the good bearings) has some wiggle room in the center spacer between the bearings inside the hub shell (it's tight between the bearings, but can shift around laterally). This would let me get slide the spacer to get a punch under the inner edge of the bearing to knock it out, although probably not in a manner which would allow me to re-use the bearing.

The other hub has no such play in the spacer, and I have no idea how I'm going to get the bearings out at all.

Any advice? Also, tips on pressing new bearings in? I was going to use a nut/bolt/washer arrangement, like I do to press in headsets.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
First problem is getting them out...can't figure out how to do it on one of them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Assuming these are standard cartridge bearings, see if you can get at the bearing seal with a dental tool. If you can peel it off gently and stick some good grease in there with your finger. Go ride for a day.

See if it works. It usually does and beats the hassle you're looking to engage in.

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
The other hub has no such play in the spacer, and I have no idea how I'm going to get the bearings out at all.
insert something in there like a screw driver and push down on the crush tube. (same direction as the spoke) that should allow u a small peak of the bearing inner race. that's where u will be hitting it out.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Assuming these are standard cartridge bearings, see if you can get at the bearing seal with a dental tool. If you can peel it off gently and stick some good grease in there with your finger. Go ride for a day.

See if it works. It usually does and beats the hassle you're looking to engage in.
Yah, the bearing races are all pitted to hell, unfortunately. Wheel is useless ATM.

Peachy, that's what I was trying to do, but the tube doesn't move at all on one of the hubs.

I'm close to just throwing the whole ****ing thing away.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
when i changed the bearings in my hope hubs i just used some force to move the spacer out of the way, cant give any advice besides that...stick in a big screw driver and pry it to the side...

after that use a punch to tap it out. and to put the new bearings in try to find a socket/washer that is slightly smaller then the outer race, try avoiding knocking on the inner race. a vice helps alot, you can press both bearings at the same time. and go out and get some new bearings, they will probably cost you less then $20 altogether if at all.

i checked the hope web site and the front hub doesn't have any cir clips like the rear one.