Quantcast

Removing Hayes from frame cable guide

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
How am I supposed to remove my Hayes brake brom the cable guides on my frame?
Do I have to remove the caliper or the lever?

If I try to pull the housing out it wont come cause the little space of the cable guide isn´t big enough...

any opinions?

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by Acadian
if the guide those 2 bent arms? To remove you should just have to twist the cable sideways and slide it out?
Yes...it´s those 2 bent arms....but the space between them is too small for the cable to come out..

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun

dang...how the hell did the cables go in the first place? You can't just yank on it and take it out?
I´m afraid of screwing the cable.....
I´ll try to bend the 2 arms in some way....the bad thing is that I´m going to sell all the stuff, so if I break anything there goes 100 bucks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So the arms of the guide are like ( ) instead of like:

(

)

With those kind of cable guides, I believe you have to cut the line (and rebleed/wire everything up) to remove it. Cutting the line sucks -- make sure you don't get fluid on you, the carpet, the brake pads, the rotor, or anything else. And it's automotive brake fluid, so needs to be disposed of by a lube/oil/filter type place since it's toxic.

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by Toshi
So the arms of the guide are like ( ) instead of like:

(

)

With those kind of cable guides, I believe you have to cut the line (and rebleed/wire everything up) to remove it. Cutting the line sucks -- make sure you don't get fluid on you, the carpet, the brake pads, the rotor, or anything else. And it's automotive brake fluid, so needs to be disposed of by a lube/oil/filter type place since it's toxic.
Can´t I just remove the hose from the caliper or from the lever?

$hit frame.....kiss my ass

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by strakos

Can´t I just remove the hose from the caliper or from the lever?

$hit frame.....kiss my ass
Didn't think of that. :D That would work, too. You're still going to lose all your fluid, but not having to buy a new line (can you reuse them?) would be nice.

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun

So what are you thinking of getting...still thinking of the DHi (I hope not)?
it depends on what you´re going to tell me next week, if it is what I hope it´s not(did that make sense?), then I´m going for the giant or for another turner...that IF I get some work to do.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Not entirely sure what you mean by arms. But if you unbolt the compression bolt you can pull the housing off the caliper or the master cylinder. You'll have to cut off the hose right at the compression sleeve because those are not reusable. But you "may" be able to reattach to the nipple from where you removed it if you're very careful to keep the fluid in by keeping the open end above everything so it doesn't leak out. Chances are though that some air will get in and you'll need to bleed. And do watch that dot 3 or 4 fluid. It is nasty. I have successfully shortened housings without needing to bleed. Once.