Quantcast

Rennie to Morewood for '09

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
I have yeti to see anyone slam their bigfoot down and sasqutach all the rumors.
That honestly made me laugh out loud, good one. That will be a sick team with Graves, Gwin, Blenkinsop and Rennie, so much skill there.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, he's joining up with Mitch in Gravity Group on the Morewood/Kenda team.

It's going to be a fun summer!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Rennie is on Kenda tires though....How many world cup top 10's did kenda have last year....?...:monkey:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Rennie is on Kenda tires though....How many world cup top 10's did kenda have last year....?...:monkey:

Rennie and Peat were on Kenda for 2006 or 2007 or both. Look at race pics of them, they were both using Maxxis tires with the logo blacked out. Kenda's were used in the pits and photo shoots.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I do not believe Syndicate was on Kenda all of last year. Take a look at the latest Maxxis adds in any bike mag. The ones with all the featured riders have Rennie, Peaty, Minaar, and Bryceland.
Now, also, if you count how many riders were actually riding the Kenda tires even though they were on a Kenda team, the numbers would be a lot more slim.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I do not believe Syndicate was on Kenda all of last year. Take a look at the latest Maxxis adds in any bike mag. The ones with all the featured riders have Rennie, Peaty, Minaar, and Bryceland.
Now, also, if you count how many riders were actually riding the Kenda tires even though they were on a Kenda team, the numbers would be a lot more slim.
yeah....but sounds like Kenda is title sponsor now. So he will be running them....

Atkinson is the only guy i noticed (from afar) racing on the Kendas and placing somewhat respectable...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
yeah....but sounds like Kenda is title sponsor now. So he will be running them....

Atkinson is the only guy i noticed (from afar) racing on the Kendas and placing somewhat respectable...
Mitch Delfs got a top 10 on Kendas at the Bromont World Cup. Kenda was the gravity group team title sponsor last year as well (Kenda Tomac).

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ

Kenda was a big sponsor for Sydicate in '06/'07, but he still ran Maxxis. So, whether he runs them or not, is really up to him. But, when asked about his tires, he is probably required to say Kendas are the best tire around, on any terrain, in any condition, etc.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
maybe VooDooHoo will chime in on how much his kid likes Kenda tires :plthumbsdown:

Lopes thinks they rock, but then again Lopes in the master of the Universe with DW and Sam Hill. He could ride fast on a bald set of Panaracer Magic DH's(the white ones).

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Lopes thinks they rock, but then again Lopes in the master of the Universe with DW and Sam Hill. He could ride fast on a bald set of Panaracer Magic DH's(the white ones).
To be fair, Lopes' signature Kenda tire (El Moco) isn't bad. ('cept maybe for the '55' on the knobs.... wtf)

Maybe Kenda engineers will work with Nathan Rennie and develop a more World-Cup-esque tire?

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
all this talk of tires sucking balls...

it's not that hard to make a decent tire. big black rubber knobs = success. people are too concerned with making them weigh less and less and end up with more and more flats and then come on the internet spraying hate for how much the tires "suck" when the truth is, they are too light and blow.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
maybe VooDooHoo will chime in on how much his kid likes Kenda tires :plthumbsdown:
They were his teams sponsor last year, he loved them.

Ask him about 2009 and every year in the future and his answer will be different.:busted:

Didn't Kenda pull it's sponsorship from the syndicate because no one would use them?

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Well Mitch rolled with Kenda for the state finals locally as well, I believe he got 3rd.
Really if riders agree to be sponsored by any component manufacturer they should be willing to use that particular component. I have no respect for those who don't.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
After running Minion DHFs SRY for the past 4 years, I've switched to Kenda Nevegal Stick-E compound in the dual ply casing and I think they're f*ckin rad. Really impressed with them on a variety of surfaces. Will be running them this year I reckon.

Best part is, because Kenda has a crappy reputation heaps of people sell them without trying them. Cheap as... :)

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Well Mitch rolled with Kenda for the state finals locally as well, I believe he got 3rd.
Really if riders agree to be sponsored by any component manufacturer they should be willing to use that particular component. I have no respect for those who don't.
Right, because most DH pros have the world on a platter...none of them are making sacrifices and compromises to do what they love or anything... :disgust1:

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Right, because most DH pros have the world on a platter...none of them are making sacrifices and compromises to do what they love or anything... :disgust1:

Yes ok I understand your point that they have to make ends meet and get their hands on whatever sponsorship they can. But then it would be a case of take what you can get and learn to like it, not take money from brand X, and run brandy Y blacked out with a sharpie hoping no one would notice (unless you have a mutual sharpie agreement with the sponsor of course).

I'm not implying that a person shouldn't take sponsorship of particular products they may not have thought much of, but they should at least use the product and give it a go until something better comes along, isn't it like that in every day life and jobs too?

Then again maybe your right because in some cases even negative publicity is still publicity.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I switched from nevegals last june to DH-F's and they had so much more grip i was turning in 10 feet too soon on corners before I adapted to them.
you can go fast on nevegals, but its much harder.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Yes ok I understand your point that they have to make ends meet and get their hands on whatever sponsorship they can. But then it would be a case of take what you can get and learn to like it, not take money from brand X, and run brandy Y blacked out with a sharpie hoping no one would notice (unless you have a mutual sharpie agreement with the sponsor of course).

I'm not implying that a person shouldn't take sponsorship of particular products they may not have thought much of, but they should at least use the product and give it a go until something better comes along, isn't it like that in every day life and jobs too?

Then again maybe your right because in some cases even negative publicity is still publicity.
In a black and white world I'd agree with you completely. It's ethically hypocritical to endorse something you don't use.

I just think idealism ends up at odds with practicality in this case. These guys in the top 20 or so on the WC are so close to each other, a huge factor like proper tires can kill the podium hopes of the best of them. Case in point Kovarik's and Matti Lehikoinen's 2007 results compared with their 2008 results...tires matter...

But, for less serious racers and weekend warrior types Kendas are fine. And the fact is that these guys buy tires because they see Peaty shredding a turn to pieces in a Kenda add in Mountain Bike Action. They're not gonna go race Champery... So Peaty gets a paycheck and gets to ride good tires, and Joe mtb gets tires that will work great for him...win/win.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Funding a race team can be atrociously expensive for many companies. Big guns like Trek and Specialized can afford it, but smaller companies like Yeti or Santa Cruz rely on these sponsors who provide both cash and product, to get their teams to the races.

Sometimes the absolute best, isn't a financial possibility. If your team is offered $10 000 to endorse a certain product, you may very well choose that route, even if you have to break out the sharpie from time to time.