Quantcast

Respraying muh truck

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
My truck is getting to the ten-year mark and I was kicking around the idea of getting it re-sprayed. The clear coat is doing what clear coats do after several years in the southern sun, and I was just hoping to get a re-spray in the same color. Anybody ever use Maaco for something like this? Downsides? Cost? Worth messing with, or just drop the idea all together?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's really not worth it unless it's something classic that you semi want to restore.
A paint job worth the trouble is $5000-8000.
A cheap respray will look crappy and fail in short time.

If you are just getting some clearcoat hazing, you can get "cutting" compound and go to town with the buffer.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
If you strip most of the trim and stuff yourself, a Maaco paint job isn't bad. If you just want to spend a couple hundy for it to look good for a few years, then it's worth it. Most other good spray jobs probably start at $3K if you know who's doing it. Most of the cost is bodywork and Maaco does none. You pay extra for each thing for them to fix and they do a crappy job at body work.

I had this done, but it was stripped to a shell. Think it was $800 when all said and done. I did all the body work myself.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It should be noted that all Maacos are independent. I've heard stories of decent $500 spray jobs on a prepped towed in body. I've also known people turned away when they tried to get the same deal.
If you want a good job, $500 doesn't even buy paint.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's all in the prep. As others said, almost any monkey can shoot an ok paint job with quality product. If you do the prep yourself and pay a little extra for the good or better paint jobs they offer, it can actually turn out very nice.

A buddy of mine got a $200 job at Earl Scheib that won shows. He towed it there and removed most of the body panels to shoot them proper. He reassembled it himself when it was all done, did his own cut and buff and it was an easy 5 year + paint job.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
That's a sweet pic. :thumb:

Yeah.....we're not talking anything crazy here, folks. kazlx had more of what I was going for in his response to give you's guys an idea of what exactly we're talking about, here. :)

I love my truck, man...it's with me for the long haul--and all I'm really after is to just give 'er a good look for a few more years and if it needs it again, then we'll shoot it again. The truck only has a value of about 11grand, so I'm not trying to get into more than 10 percent of it's value here.....5 percent would be really sweet. :thumb:

I'll give the fellers down at Maaco and visit and see what they say. Thanks for teh responzors!

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
Maaco and Earl Scheib are good options if you're not expecting a show quality job. They can put out some decent work if you do the majority of the prep yourself.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
For the money I paid on the orange mustang, it was worth it. I stripped the entire car myself with my buddy and towed it in there as a rolling chassis. The whole car was rebuilt on a budget, refreshed the motor, but it came out pretty well. The other thing is color choice. Make sure it's a regular color. No metal flake or anything like that. Stay away from reds, black or colors that are tricky. I guess if you want to repaint your truck the current color you don't have much of a choice. You will also save money not having to paint jambs and the engine bay if you can get a color to match. Simple, solid colors are the best.

Here's the motor that went in that car for anyone that cares:

EDIT:

Another important piece of info like mentioned above. Not all of the places are the same, go check out the jobs that they do. Look at cars they have prepped. It's also worth it to ask around locally. I'm sure there are some decent body shops that would give you a good price for some new color if there isn't much bodywork needed. The bodywork is really what sucks up the time and you mine be able to find a better place to do a blow and go that is hard up for work.

As always, cash money talks.

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My truck is getting to the ten-year mark and I was kicking around the idea of getting it re-sprayed. The clear coat is doing what clear coats do after several years in the southern sun, and I was just hoping to get a re-spray in the same color. Anybody ever use Maaco for something like this? Downsides? Cost? Worth messing with, or just drop the idea all together?
It's a 10 year old truck, who cares about the paint?

Were it some collector car, I could see it, but really you're just throwin your money away....so you car can be shiny? How do you intend to benefit from that?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It's a 10 year old truck, who cares about the paint?

Were it some collector car, I could see it, but really you're just throwin your money away....so you car can be shiny? How do you intend to benefit from that?
I care about the paint...that's who. You obviously underestimate my attraction to shiny objects. :thumb:

You see me rollin'...you hatin' :D

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
You should look into getting one of those vehicle wraps. Those are supposed to be pretty inexpensive, and pretty durable. There are a couple of cars running around out here that have them. They're pretty "loud", but i'm sure you could get something that's just a solid color.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Screw paint!! Drive that biotch and forget it. Time spent not washing and waxing pretty things can be spent riding, sleeping, drinking, screwing. I haven't washed mine in 8 years... to waste perfectly good drinking water for vanities sake would make me a hypocrite anyways.

If you're going to keep it for ever..skip the looks. What? You want your ride looking like Goldie Hawn?

Case in point...guess which one is mine.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Screw paint!! Drive that biotch and forget it. Time spent not washing and waxing pretty things can be spent riding, sleeping, drinking, screwing. I haven't washed mine in 8 years... to waste perfectly good drinking water for vanities sake would make me a hypocrite anyways.

Case in point...guess which one is mine.

:stupid:
I can't remember the last time I washed my jeep. In fact the layer of dirt probably protects what ever color the jeep is from the high altitude sun.