Quantcast

Results from US Open...anyone???

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Go-ride had 3 pros at the US Open this past weekend. Could someone please post the results or does anyone know of a link to the results.

The Go-ride riders were #s 58, 59, and 60. Matt Johnston, Karl Rogne, and Chris Vandine.

Thanks for any help.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The competition was off the hook.
I guess when you have about 190 people trying to qualify, it is going to be close. But I had no clue it was going to be like that.
It was incredible. One bobble and you lost 10 places.
I loved it. Right before I did my run, I knew that if I screwed up, I was gonna be WAY off the back. I had a good, fairly clean run and still got 25th out of the 100 that qualified.
The course was what a real race course should be, and there was a ton of smiling faces running around.
It was worth the 11+ hour drive for me for sure.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by dw
Lots of race run flats I hear, huh?
Yup, and I didn't see many people at all with flats during practice:confused:

Heiki and I both got rear flats. I was pissed because mine it was right before the end and I had a clean run that would have put me into the top 5 in Am. :angry: I went back and checked the course where my tube violently blew up and there was nothing there. No more Kendas for me.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Matt D
Yup, and I didn't see many people at all with flats during practice:confused:

Heiki and I both got rear flats. I was pissed because mine it was right before the end and I had a clean run that would have put me into the top 5 in Am. :angry: I went back and checked the course where my tube violently blew up and there was nothing there. No more Kendas for me.
Yep, and you had a Michy on the front.
I don't know how you flatted, because you were running a ton of pressure in that rear tire. That stinks, pick you up another comp before Snowshoe and you should be set.;)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I've got a lil' experience with the kendas this year and I'm gonna say that they really should be run tubeless (Stan's/ghetto). They grip great but don't have much of a sidewall. I've been very stoked on my tubeless setup but wanted to kill people when I had 'em with tubes.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I think I'll agree with Dan that they have to be run tubeless. I had them with Stan's for a while until I flatted it somehow at Massanutten, then it wouldn't hold air so I tubed it.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I know exactly why I flatted! My rear wheel blew up and one of the spokes shot through the rim and right into my tube. It was a fun weekend and a cool course but I still dont think it was worth the 75 dollar entry fee.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Originally posted by Acadian
say what? :confused:

that is pretty steep!
yea but i suppose if you subract it from the 5k if you win its not too bad. They have to come up with the money for the purse somewhere and pay whoever was behind all the awesome work behind the event.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
two words. van (space) dine.

75 entry for pros. less for amateurs. can't remember how much i paid but IMO it was worth it. mad schwag toss, loads of extremely well designed and maintained trails were open and the entry fee included the lift ticket. i was happy to give them my hard earned dough and never had a second thought about it all weekend.

edit: and!!!.. they paid 10 deep in the pro men and 5 deep in the pro women.

bummer about your flat heikki, i'm always rootin' for you. looked like you were limping after. you okay?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The fact they turned the course from a muddy wet sloppy mess on friday to a dry and somewhat dusty course for saturday simply amazed me. No one thought it was going to happen except everyone who knew the course crew. they were up there as soon as practice was done working on it trying to get it into working order. I heard they were up there well into the evening to get it rideable for the next day. that was awesome! organization was top notch and everything about the event kicked ass but I am on a real tight budget and cannot justify shelling out 75 bucks for much of anything.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I don't mind the entrance fee at Diablo, but I do mind NORBA fees. I have to renew my "yearly" liscense which I only got like 8 months out of last year because they changed the cycle=$50. And they want another $45 to race. I'm doing at most 2 nationals this year, so that's $70/race. And there isn't anywhere close to the payout (or heart for that matter) that Diablo has.

If you don't have a yearly liscense, you need a one-day for EACH day of practice right? So even if I only do one National, it probably makes more sense to get a yearly. So $95 for one race? :eek: Rant over.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by Acadian
can you ride that course any other day (non race)?

IMO $50 is alrady pushing it...$75 would be a tad too much for me just to race, espcially if you can ride that course any other time.
Most of this course was brand new for the race. Whether it will be open after the race, I don't know but I would hope so.

Why would it be too much if it's an existing trail? Do you feel you pay to ride a brand new trail? I'm just a little confused as to why that would make it not worth it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
$75 for friday and sat, then sunday if you qualified. that's 3 days of lift tickets, or $25 apiece. For that you get an race course that's actually well thought out and maintained throughout the weekend (hmmm, not comparing it to anybody elses races, but it's definitely a welcome change). Plus it's closer (to NYC) so I didn't have to spend on a hotel room for sat night. Plus you don't have to spend $10 on one day NORBA registration or $50 for the yearly. The prizes/purses were insane, the support was amazing, and the people were totally cool. Two thumbs up for the Diablo crew, had a blast and will mark my calendar for next year as soon as it comes out. :devil:

dante

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
To anyone that wasnt there:
It was well worth the cost! The maintenance on the course alone was worth the cost it was that good from start to finish. You were allowed to ride the whole mountain whenever you wanted and lift lines were allways somewhat short or non existant. It would be possible to take like 30 runs a day if your body could keep up. (I could ride Alpine all day long tired or not) There was so much stuff that was awesome about the race its crazy and I cant remember it all. It was well worth the cost just to go up there and ride that mountain for 3 days. All im saying is I am a poor college kid who didnt have 75 dollars to spend when I signed up. other than that I will be there next year and was really stoked on the whole weekend.

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Most of this course was brand new for the race
Actually, the course was the exact same as last year except for one short section. It hurt to pay $60 to race, but it worked out good as I just sent my Norba renewal in last week.

My only complaint is that they took the race maybe a little too seriously. Several ams missed their start time and got absolutely no mercy. The qualifying # plates skipped from #300 straight to #322 leaving more than a few guys scrambling up to the top. The real screwjob was that the lift tickets were only good for Fri & Sat, so anyone who didn't qualify had to buy another ticket to ride on Sun :( The $60 entry only guaranteed you one day of access if you showed up on Saturday like most people.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by 563 740
Actually, the course was the exact same as last year except for one short section. It hurt to pay $60 to race, but it worked out good as I just sent my Norba renewal in last week.

My only complaint is that they took the race maybe a little too seriously. Several ams missed their start time and got absolutely no mercy. The qualifying # plates skipped from #300 straight to #322 leaving more than a few guys scrambling up to the top. The real screwjob was that the lift tickets were only good for Fri & Sat, so anyone who didn't qualify had to buy another ticket to ride on Sun :( The $60 entry only guaranteed you one day of access if you showed up on Saturday like most people.
My bad, I was told that the whole lower section (berms) were new and that some top parts changed.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by 563 740

Some people are never happy. The course had major reworking...The lower section looked to be excavated. Last year had little 1foot berm, this year they were like 3-5ft high. The upper section had 2 key reroutes and the rock gardens had better flowing lines.

Regarding the entry fee? $60 is cheap for what these guys were giving out. They gave 2 days of lift tickets...its your fault that you couldnt use both days of tickets, not theirs. Screwjob? IF you miss your start time thats your fault. THey had riders meeting, someone at the top of the course all day just to answer questions. If you miss your start time at an event that runs as smooth as this one, you are a complete jackass. Not to mention they gave out $20k in cash? What downhill event in N. America has that kind of payout? Did you happen to see all of the sick prizes for the AMS? It sounds like you didnt do so well and are a bit bitter. get over it.....The US Open is over and you can go back to winning zero cash and ****ty prizes at nationals!:p

Jan 21, 2004
South Central...(PA)
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
Hey, if anybody has a shot of Van Dine boosting the rock garden I'd love to see it. A nice, clean 8x10 glossy print would even get you a t-shirt :D
Hey James. I don't have any pictures of Van Dine in the rock garden, but by the looks of it, he was going off every chance he got! That dude is sick! Maybe somebody has shots of him elsewhere.?? I might have one of him at the bottom when he was reeling in the guy in front of him. I have to wait until I get them back-no digital- sorry.

Dave

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by nrthshrwannabe
Hey James. I don't have any pictures of Van Dine in the rock garden, but by the looks of it, he was going off every chance he got! That dude is sick! Maybe somebody has shots of him elsewhere.?? I might have one of him at the bottom when he was reeling in the guy in front of him. I have to wait until I get them back-no digital- sorry.

Dave
yeah, he was throwing some niiiice flatties on the little finish-line kicker into the berm in Sunday practice.... looked really slick.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
hah oh man i never heard about van dine doing that while i was down there. I rode up the lift with him once i think he was a pretty cool guy.
That weekend was worth every single penny i spent! From the entry fee to the shrimp and steak dinner we cooked saturday night:p

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Some people are never happy
Actually, I was quite happy with my weekend. I was just voicing some of the more common complaints I had heard. And as for the course, yes it was the same course, just made better. Reworking an existing course doesn't make it a "new" course.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
Hey, if anybody has a shot of Van Dine boosting the rock garden I'd love to see it. A nice, clean 8x10 glossy print would even get you a t-shirt :D
A buddy of mine watched him crash and then walked back up. He made a point to call me last night to tell me about it. He was seriously impressed - called it the "classiest thing I've ever seen a Pro racer do."

Is Chris the same Van Dine from Jim Thorpe, PA?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by chromegoddess
yes, same guy. he's in jt now, then plattey for the w/e.
Cool. I haven't seen him in years, although I doubt he remembers me. His father rode with a few of my old-school friends from "back in the day" (early 90's). The East Coast mtn bike scene owes more than it knows to the Van Dine family. :cool:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i talked to a few of the people from diablo (one guy who's name i can't remember, and clayton harper) the course will not remain open but obviously part of the course overlapped onto other trails, so that will be rideable, plus i'm sure people will poach it------i was there when van dine crashed, he wrecked hard as hell let the next rider through hiked it up to the top and hten launched through the section throwin down a nice lil whip at the rock people were using as a jump, it was sick, i might be able to get some pics idk about that 8X10 glossy

ughh...

I know this has been explained, but it still boggles my mind that people have complaints about the US Open, Even if you did enjoy it. I totally understand where Heikki is coming from because I'm a poor college kid as well. But as far as the others who are babbling about problems and such, lemme explain a little bit.

-The US open course is modeled soley on last years course. There were three main re-routes on the upper section of the course, and all the upper sections that were re-used were cleaned up and or made better by adding dirt to berms, removing rocks and roots, and/or adding rocks.

-Many of those who raced USO this year had no idea what last years course was, and we were so happy with the event last year that we really wanted everyone to experience the original USO course in addition to our drastic improvements.

-The bottom section was taken from being everyones favorite section from last year, to being a section that will go down in the Diablo history books for making the best, even better.

-The Diablo trail crew has been slaving over the USO course for the past 2 months nearly 7 days a week to make a course for the masses to enjoy.

-Everyone complaining about entry fees can die! ;) just kidding... but really... $60 for AM and $75 for pro... is that really that bad?? If you qualify you ride the mountain unlimited for 3 days! plus get the chance to win sooo much stuff! What other race do you know of that you can race at an amatuer level, get 8th place, and walk away with a $100 hydration pack, $60 goggles, a priceless custom embroidered seat, and a few other things that you may
ACTUALLY use! ...Last time I checked the entry fees for nationals are higher, and the only thing you dont have to worry about is qualifying!

Sorry for the rant, but it really bugs me when an exceptional amount of time and effort is put into something to make it exceed beyond the competition in favor of the rider, and people still have to complain..

-Oh yea.... as for the start times... The number plates DIDNT jump from 300 to 322... and All times were posted clear as day and all start times were 100% accurate.... Sorry you missed your start time, but its your own fault.

drop satchum!