Quantcast

Return of the Cactus Cup?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Rumors have it that the 3 day MTB stage race will return to McDowell Park in Arizona this March. The event would consist of a time trial, short track, and XC race. Scheduled for sometime towards the end of March, this would be a fun start to a season.

I hope it happens - I will SO be there.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
stage race = fun

what are short track and time trial, i mean the terrain, in general?
Beginner only did 2 days of xc racing at the one i went to.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yeah that would totally be fun. i've always liked stage race mtn bike events. i don't think i'd make it out t that event however i'd like to. if they do that event i don't know if it will bhe the catus cup but tha twouldn't really matter.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by pat873401
stage race = fun

what are short track and time trial, i mean the terrain, in general?
Beginner only did 2 days of xc racing at the one i went to.
Not sure, I've never done the race, just heard about it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi

Not sure, I've never done the race, just heard about it.
they are a LOT of fun. we have them from time to time in our local series and then we have a pretty damn big one w/ the athens twilight, but the short track is replaced by a phat tire crit that's held on the same course the pro roadies race on and it's held the same night so eeeeeeeeeveryone is out there watching. you gotta try one out just to see what hey are like.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy

they are a LOT of fun. we have them from time to time in our local series and then we have a pretty damn big one w/ the athens twilight, but the short track is replaced by a phat tire crit that's held on the same course the pro roadies race on and it's held the same night so eeeeeeeeeveryone is out there watching. you gotta try one out just to see what hey are like.
No, I've done a stage race, but not this particular one.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

No, I've done a stage race, but not this particular one.
ohhhhhh lol yeah from what i heard that was a kick ass race. really wish i could make it out there for it if and when they bring it back, but i doubt i'll have the $$ for it. :(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

ohhhhhh lol yeah from what i heard that was a kick ass race. really wish i could make it out there for it if and when they bring it back, but i doubt i'll have the $$ for it. :(
Get saving boy!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

Get saving boy!
lol not gonna happen, savin for other things right now. senior year of HS can eat your savings account up! i'm going to TRY and make it to sea otter, just all depends on several things. to bad i won't get to enjoy what SHOULD be my last year as a junior and instead will be my offical intro year as a senior, even though i've been racing senior for over a year now. so we'll see what happens.

Rumors have it that the 3 day MTB stage race will return to McDowell Park in Arizona this March. The event would consist of a time trial, short track, and XC race. Scheduled for sometime towards the end of March, this would be a fun start to a season.
Hey, if you get more info about that, please post it (or the place to go read up)!

Heh, heh, well for some crusty old types, we think of the Cactus Cup course as an area that's now a subdivision and golf course...not that flat thing they ran the final few years...

Grumping aside, that looks to be pretty well set up and will probably be a lot of fun. Will it have the industry attention that the Cactus Cup used to get? That was a huge deal, kicking off the whole season for everyone.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
With the Sea Otter Classic moving to April this year, one of mountain biking's newest races looks to be reaping the benefits of an open calendar in March. The Nova Desert Classic - which is billing itself as the rebirth of the Cactus Cup - recently announced that Subaru America has come on board as the event's title sponsor. The race is also doing well when it comes to attracting big-time talent. According to a press release issued in mid-December, Subaru-Gary Fisher, Trek-Volkswagen, RLX-Ralph Lauren and the Luna women's team have all committed to showing up in Phoenix for the March 21-23 event.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i just saw the price listings for the race!!! i'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad i'm not a Junior X anymore even though i should be! 2100 total price listing for junior x :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
lol not gonna happen, savin for other things right now. senior year of HS can eat your savings account up! i'm going to TRY and make it to sea otter, just all depends on several things. to bad i won't get to enjoy what SHOULD be my last year as a junior and instead will be my offical intro year as a senior, even though i've been racing senior for over a year now. so we'll see what happens.
ahhhvashhsandbaggerfdhhahah cough cough....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by The Toninator
ahhhvashhsandbaggerfdhhahah cough cough....
no i just enjoy racing senior b/c it makes it easier for any junior who races senior to go to nationals and attempt to do well. most top 7 juniors (nationally) catch the and put time on the lead semi pro.... if i was sand bagging you'd know it :D

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Originally posted by EBasil
Heh, heh, well for some crusty old types, we think of the Cactus Cup course as an area that's now a subdivision and golf course...not that flat thing they ran the final few years...

Grumping aside, that looks to be pretty well set up and will probably be a lot of fun. Will it have the industry attention that the Cactus Cup used to get? That was a huge deal, kicking off the whole season for everyone.
A moment of silence for what was one of the best trails in the world. (Pinnacle Peak - Ranked #12 by some bike mag back in about '95)

How I just wanted (and still do) to ride from the trailhead through the golf courses and subdivisions and see if I could pick out the old trail here and there. One of my fellow mtb buddies confessed years later to being one of the guys who plowed down some of the desert to make way for the new homes and GC. What an arse!