Quantcast

Reusing Road bar tape

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Expecting the new drop bar next week. :D
The current bar/tape/setup is only 2 months old.
So is there any "trick" to reusing the old tape? Is the start just electrical tape? :confused: That's what it looks like.
Can I just undo (from the end) keep it rolled and reinstall on the new bar :monkey:

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Yep, you can reuse the tape. Unless you're getting a brand new zooty Euro rig, in which case you would want to deck out the bike with new tape. If you're just swaping the bar, though, go for it.

Use electrical tape to start and finish the wrap job. You could also cup in some of the wrap into the bar and use the plug instead of tape at the beginning of the wrap.

Be careful when you unwrap the tape, so it doesn't tear. Pay attention around the hoods, in order to replace it in the same pattern. Do one at a time, so you don't get lost. Pull the tape snug as you wrap it, but not too tight that you tear it. Have fun!

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by gorgechris
... use the plug instead of tape at the beginning...
of the wrap...
I thought the "start" would be towards the stem...
The tape has some kind of logo/words that I think says "Deda"
:confused: :confused: :confused:

This will be the first time I'll attempt this, although I've done my own maintenance on my MTB for years.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by oldfart
If it's sticky backed bar tape, it will tear when you remove it. Buy a new package, tape is cheap.
Yeah, it might rip, but I've had pretty good luck with mine in the past, all of which is sticky-backed. Give it a shot, and if it rips, replace it. If it comes off clean, you're in business.

However, if your tape is any color other than black, do yourself and favor and get a package of black tape and replace the exising red/neon/yellow/whatever is on there.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by ET_SoCal
I thought the "start" would be towards the stem...
The tape has some kind of logo/words that I think says "Deda"
:confused: :confused: :confused:

This will be the first time I'll attempt this, although I've done my own maintenance on my MTB for years.
I've always done it from the end-forward, which I think is the appropriate way. I was taught by a wrench who spent several years in Europe, so I assumed he knew what he was doing.

Do a search online, there should be several sites that talk about how to wrap bars. You could also do a post on the roadie site.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tape is not reusable... it has a line of adhesive that will rip and pull the tape apart. A new roll is $10.00... a tapeless wrap is classy, tape at the ends is so Sears Roebuck... :eek:

Here are my bars with a tapeless, glueless wrap.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Clamping a frame like that by the top tube is a bad move. Serotta's have all sorts of warnings on them when they come out of the box telling you not to do that.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Tape is not reusable
What I think you mean to say is that you advise against reusing the tape. It is indeed physically possible to reuse it, as I have done so many, many times.

a tapeless wrap is classy, tape at the ends is so Sears Roebuck
Heehee, I can't deny it looks a bit cheezy. However, both of my bikes that have drop bars are worth, combined, about $500, get ridden hard all year round, are washed once a year, and have used, 4-yr old 105 components. So I've got no need to put on airs. Your Serotta, on the other hand, is a classy rig, and deserves such attention.

All that aside, there is still no reason for anything but black tape, unless you're leading the sprint pack and your first name is Mario.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Repack
Clamping a frame like that by the top tube is a bad move. Serotta's have all sorts of warnings on them when they come out of the box telling you not to do that.
Yes, I have read the owners manual - it's not clamped it's being stored out of the way. Now that I have my ceiling hooks it's hanging by the tires.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Absolutely if you can remove the tape without it tearing you can reuse it. But it might be compressed from age and use and not as cushiony as it was, and it will have creases and bends semi permanently in it particularly at the levers. If the retape does not perfectly match it might be lumpy there. Its just really hard trying to get sticky tape off without tearing. If the bar you're getting is wider or has longer ends, you're old tape will be too short.

Always start the tape job at the bar end and work toward the center. That is the the proper way. The reason is, the overlap is shingled away from the force your hands put on the tape. If you start from the bar center, the wrong way, you'll end up rolling the tape at its edges because the overlap is backwards. Plus starting at the center you get a larger wrap there. Looks amateur to me. Check out some racing magazines. Absolutely all the pros bikes start the tape at the bar end.

Another tip to avoind a lumpy end of the roll. When you get to where you want to end the wrap, hold the tape at the same angle as you've been wrapping and cut the excess perpendicular to the bar at an angle to the tape. This gives you a perfect end.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Yes, I have read the owners manual - it's not clamped it's being stored out of the way. Now that I have my ceiling hooks it's hanging by the tires.
I thought so. Its just that I cringe when I see frames in stands like that. Didn't mean for you to assume that I thought you were a hack or anything like that.:D My bad.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by oldfart
Blah, blah, blah
Style over function!!! I'm not a "racer" I'm a roadie!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyhow I replace my tape every season so it always has a nice cush. Amateurish or not, in the space of about 3000 miles between wraps I have had no problem with the edges of the tape rolling. However... the taped used to secure the conventional wrap seldom lasts for more than a month before it comes loose, then you either glue or use electrical tape to keep it secure.

In my 25 years of road riding and taping bars - I find this system works best for me. Ocaisionally some other roadie will say... "the pros don't do it like that..." engh... so what? This issue is all about personal fit - no harm will come of the bike or rider.

I like a tapeless and glueless wrap, it works for me so I shall continue!!! Fight the man!!! Live free or die!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Repack
I thought so. Its just that I cringe when I see frames in stands like that. Didn't mean for you to assume that I thought you were a hack or anything like that.:D My bad.
Oh no... you were right I am a hack - see my seatpost was siezed so I clamped the frame in and beat on the saddle with a rubber mallet. The paint kind of crackled around the clamp so I covered it up with fingernail polish. Now I'm going to sell it on eBay. :thumb: :D

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Oh no... you were right I am a hack - see my seatpost was siezed so I clamped the frame in and beat on the saddle with a rubber mallet. The paint kind of crackled around the clamp so I covered it up with fingernail polish. Now I'm going to sell it on eBay. :thumb: :D
That's not the approved method for removing a seatpost from the seat tube. It's better to wrap one chain around your BB shell and another chain around your saddle, and then hook the respective chains to the tow hitches of some trucks. Hop in the trucks, give your helper a wave, and stomp on the gas. Presto!

Before you do this, make sure the saddle is securely attached to the seatpost. If it's loose, you run the risk of wrecking your saddle, and you don't want to do that.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Dude, you know that's not how the pros do it!!!;)
Should I abandon my amateurish ways or soldier on in a pathetic display of ignorant self delusion? I think I still have a roll of green vinyl sparke bar tape from my first Schwinn Varsity... :eek: