Quantcast

Ridemonkey XJ (Cherokee) owners....

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I'll try and get some this weekend. For some reason I can't seem to find any photos of my rig... although its nothing great, no mods really beyond the racks. Too cheap to lift it seeing where gas prices are and the whole college thing...

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
stosh said:
Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do they come in 4x4?
Yes they do. But it isn't "real" 4X4, its more like the all wheel drive system found on cars. One of my little brothers punk friends has one and is convinced he can take it offroad. He told me he could "go anywhere my Frontier could go" I am trying to get him to take it to a local mud hole. :sneaky:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
snutty said:
You beat me to it. A solid axle'd taco is a pretty competent off-road machine from what I've heard, never seen one in person. I've had my stocker buried up to the doors though :rolleyes:

J

JRB

Funny story about mud is those punk kids that can go anywhere when they talk in the parking lot, won't really try. After much coaxing, I got this punk with an old jacked up ford that he was so proud of to hit an oats field we had cattle out on a few years back. I had a crap 3/4 4wd chevrolet that I hated, with a 350 and wrangler mts on it. I went across at about 6000 rpms to work on a fence. I knew that when you hit this field, you couldn't worry about the motor. Well, kid hit it and was concerned about the rpms and speed and sunk past the doors with an 18" lift. It took a big chain and a trip to get the John Deere 8100 to get him out. The moral is, if you pay attention you have a better chance. No matter, jeep, ford, or toyota, if you get all cocky, you will get stuck or tear something up. It's funny to watch people really.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Booker said:
Yes they do. But it isn't "real" 4X4, its more like the all wheel drive system found on cars. One of my little brothers punk friends has one and is convinced he can take it offroad. He told me he could "go anywhere my Frontier could go" I am trying to get him to take it to a local mud hole. :sneaky:
Damn....
You could probably fit a lot of groceries in the back when the seats fold up.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I have to say that my Cherokee is the best investment I have ever made. I have personally put almost 150k on this and it is currently at 184k. Still as powerfull as when I bought it. Not to say there aren't a few problems here and there, but who needs an emergency brake anyways :p

My Jeep has never broken to the point where it couldn't get me to the mechanic. It has never left me stranded and the one time it didn't start (dead battery) I pop started it and all was fine. Not a bad investment for a car I have had for 8 years :thumb:

Attachments

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
mmm, some cool pics in this here thread. I've been kind of diggin on the EB's, don't see many of those around - any of you guys own one?

Motion, I hear about them XJs goin past 200k, sometimes gettin to 300k allllll the time. :thumb: The only thing that gets to the owners is the damn plastic interior on all them heeps that rattles :mad:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
No fancy pics or mods, but I have a '99 Cherokee Sport w/ 107,000 on it. Still in great shape. I'd like to lift it a little (2-4"?) and put some bigger tires on it but there's always something that needs my $$ more.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Sweet pics you guys. I wanted to do something like that if I bought a Cherokee when I got my car, but I found a 2dr Tahoe S10 Blazer for 1k and 102k miles on it in sweet condition and 4spd stick so I had to get that. :D Any recommendations as to what to get done first on it? I was thinking a 3-5" lift on it at the most and some 31s or 33s, then getting a locker for the rear. Would that be a good way to start off?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
mtnbkr4235 said:
Sweet pics you guys. I wanted to do something like that if I bought a Cherokee when I got my car, but I found a 2dr Tahoe S10 Blazer for 1k and 102k miles on it in sweet condition and 4spd stick so I had to get that. :D Any recommendations as to what to get done first on it? I was thinking a 3-5" lift on it at the most and some 31s or 33s, then getting a locker for the rear. Would that be a good way to start off?
You should start off with a "chain" steering wheel and a big red "NO FEAR" Sticker across the top of the front window first.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
golgiaparatus said:
You should start off with a "chain" steering wheel and a big red "NO FEAR" Sticker across the top of the front window first.
You mean as opposed to the big rainbow sticker on yours?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
mtnbkr4235 said:
yeah, that'd be a good way to start. Its what I want to get done pretty much to my heap.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
BurlySurly said:
yeah, that'd be a good way to start. Its what I want to get done pretty much to my heap.
Any recommendations on good cheap companies also would installing a lift be something I could do myself with some jackstands and a few friends or would i have to get a shop to do it?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
mtnbkr4235 said:
Any recommendations on good cheap companies also would installing a lift be something I could do myself with some jackstands and a few friends or would i have to get a shop to do it?
Yeah, a lift is pretty easy to do yourself.

As far as lift companies go, I really only have researched ones that do jeep stuff. But Im sure if you got to any 4x4 forum, youll find your answer quick.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BurlySurly said:
You mean as opposed to the big rainbow sticker on yours?
Oh crap... that must mean... yes, yes, I think it does. BS has a big red "NO FEAR" sticker, most likely next to his "W" sticker and his, calvin pissing on well some brand that is in competition with the brand of his vehicle.

Nice BS :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
golgiaparatus said:
Oh crap... that must mean... yes, yes, I think it does. BS has a big red "NO FEAR" sticker, most likely next to his "W" sticker and his, calvin pissing on well some brand that is in competition with the brand of his vehicle.

Nice BS :thumb:
I do have a 'Tennessee is Bush Country' sticker, and I would like to have a Calvin pissing on #3, just cause it would piss off the entire south. But sorry, no "no fear" on anything I own.

Anyway, you should get a sticker that says, "I dig skank b!tches"

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
DLo said:
mmm, some cool pics in this here thread. I've been kind of diggin on the EB's, don't see many of those around - any of you guys own one?

Motion, I hear about them XJs goin past 200k, sometimes gettin to 300k allllll the time. :thumb: The only thing that gets to the owners is the damn plastic interior on all them heeps that rattles :mad:
I am thinking about ripping everything out that isn't required in the interior. Rhyno liner the WHOLE THING! We will see if that happens :)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Motionboy2 said:
I am thinking about ripping everything out that isn't required in the interior. Rhyno liner the WHOLE THING! We will see if that happens :)

That is the way to go, you can also rip out the seats and put plastic seats that have a snap off cover. Then rip the dash out and replace it with sheet metal and seal everything up and then you can clean the interior out with a hose. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Or not, it would really be cool though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Motionboy2 said:
That's exactly what I did to my YJ and it worked great! :thumb: Though I hear the XJs tend to get really hot sitting in the sun if you do that.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
TMC has not built the LC in almost 10 years(just started again). Araco was building the whole thing, TMC would purcahse the unit .As of Oct. 04 Araco sold that part of the company back to TMC