Quantcast

Rider looking for a place to live in/near San Diego

The_Kurt

Chimp
Jan 10, 2017
I am moving to San Diego shortly for work. I can live where I want and can work from home or on the road. I would like to be within reasonable distance from the airport and also from decent trails. I am looking to spend about $1500 / mo. if I were close to bars and restaurants that would be a bonus. Can you please recommend some decent spots to live ??? Is anyone looking for a roommate ?

I have: tools, clothes, dog, car, SC bronson ..... that is about it

I ski, board, bike, food & drink, and can't wait to make the move

Thanks

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Right on man. Your options are limited here in SD. I only really do south of the 8 freeway so my experience is limited. I really like downtown La Mesa. Rents not the highest, good area, close to almost everything. I haven't lived there in eight years though. I do have a friend that does residential property management ill message you the info. When you land and wanna hit up some east county stuff, let me know.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I lived in San Diego 23 years ago and back then you couldn't get sh!t for $1500 a month. :rofl:

There was some choice riding, but nothing like I found up here. But I only biked the last year I lived there. I was in the ghetto and paid $900 for a studio. We had twice weekly drive by's.

<edit> There is a studio for sale for $160k, my bike was stolen off the second story balcony.

http://www.zillow.com/b/3254-Ashford-St-San-Diego-CA/32.802498,-117.159563_ll/

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ocean Beach is awesome; a vestige of real surf culture still hanging on. Great strip on Newport Ave. Easy access to airports and freeways. We paid $1100 a month for a one bedroom cottage in the mid-2000s but that was a great find, and on the methhead, er, "more colorful" side of the town.

Imperial Beach may be worth a look. You can probably find something in a cool place if you look hard enough but it won't be easy. My advice is to get something in a great location near the water and make the most of living there.

North park was sort of cheapish as an inland neighborhood. Maybe Normal Heights, too.

My info's pretty dated tho. I left in 2005.

The_Kurt

Chimp
Jan 10, 2017
Thanks I appreciate the advice.

I am actually about to fly out to do some exploring and housing searching. I will be trying to rent a bike or maybe a demo and ride mission trails this weekend and maybe the following weekend too.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you get out to ride Noble Canyon about 45 minutes west, you'll move there immediately.

The_Kurt

Chimp
Jan 10, 2017
I ended up signing a lease up in Carlsbad right in the village. It seems close enough to everything I need.... Including the Calavera trails. $1500 1 br.