Quantcast

Riding conditions in Pisgah

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Planning on coming up tomorrow to ride for my spring break till about wednesday. Weather.com says its suppose to rain that whole time. Anyone local got some info on what the trails are like right now? or if its truly gonna rain? Thanks.

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
Its raining right now, but a lot of trails are clear if you don't mind getting muddy. pack a handsaw to clear a tree or two and go for it. i'll roll with you if your interested.

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
dang. thats what i was afraid of.

danennis-i dont mind getting muddy. Just have to sneak into a truck stop afterwards to clean up. ill be up there with 2 other guys so if want, your more than welcome to join. we're gonna ride avery creek, greenslick, pilot rock, big creek, and some of the other DH oriented trails.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You've probably already seen this, but this was 5 points Saturday. 6 inches of snow and I was only the second set of footprints to walk up it.

If you ride Greens Lick, there is some deadfall on Tony Michaels Parkway, but that's all I know of it. Had to turn around due to short on time, so I don't know what the descent is like. But plan on riding nothing else in Bent Creek. That place is blown out like you wouldn't believe. Just digusting. Mud so deep and rutted that your bike won't roll uphill or down. Greens Lick may be different if there's been no traffic. Good luck and report back. :D

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
wow. wasn't expecting snow. usually when we ride for SB, its shorts and tshirt weather. I guess that'll just add to the adventure. so your saying stay away from anything on the bent creek side? What about avery creek, trace ridge, pilot rock?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
wow. wasn't expecting snow. usually when we ride for SB, its shorts and tshirt weather. I guess that'll just add to the adventure. so your saying stay away from anything on the bent creek side? What about avery creek, trace ridge, pilot rock?
All I'm saying is that if you plan on doing Greens Lick, my guess is you'd need to plan on doing it and it alone in Bent Creek. The rest of the trail system in there is the worst I've ever seen and I've ridden MTB since 92. Should have taken a pic for perspective for others, but was covered head to toe in filth. :weee:

Can't speak for the rest of Pisgah.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Frugal Backpacker just posted this....geez!

Another Trails Closing Update. Pisgah District of Pisgah National Forest have several of the Forest Service Roads closed and as of now no projected date as to when they will open. For up to date info on which trails are closed, call the Pisgah District Ranger Station at (828) 877-3265

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Holy smokes. Are you still going to be running that Clemson number plate when we hit Windrock this weekend???!?!

;-)

--JP
JERRY: Let me ask you something. When's the last time you went skiing?

GEORGE: About six years ago.

JERRY: I think you can take the lift ticket off your jacket now.

GEORGE: Women like skiers.

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
well, clemson biker and I had a great ride, we spent about as much time clearing trails as riding them.

we cleared avery creek (full of downed trees and limbs), bennet gap, trace ridge and greens lick, all of which were finally drying out by monday/tuesday with the wind and sunshine. Then went and rode some at dupont after on wed. all in all a great trip, but dam there was alot of debris down.

PS: all the forest service roads are closed as is the parkway....so alot of pedaling fun was had by all.