Quantcast

Riding in Eastern Washington

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Anyone know of some good cross country or even shuttle DH stuff in the Cle Elum/Roslyn/Salmon la Sac area? Even more specifically Fish Lake but I'm thinking that's a stretch. I'm headed there this weekend.

Thanks!

Megan

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Megan Black said:
Anyone know of some good cross country or even shuttle DH stuff in the Cle Elum/Roslyn/Salmon la Sac area? Even more specifically Fish Lake but I'm thinking that's a stretch. I'm headed there this weekend.

Thanks!

Megan
Where is Fish Lake? I am camping with my motorcycle club (dirt bikes) up past the reserviour and about 7 miles past the horse camp where the pavement stops.

There is the popular Rat Pac. You can tresspass and ride along the yakima river from Ronald into Bull Frog flats. Lots of XC riding to explore. You will never see all of it.

I am jsut going to be lounging about this weekend. I don't have a motorcycle so I figured I would jsut dink around. I am not a XC rider so I don't look forward to climbing Rat Pac with the gate shut. ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Loose directions to my clubs camping area

Salmon-Le-Sac!

Take Interstate 90 East out of Issaquah.
(be sure and stop at Krispy Kreme)
Take exit 80 and go left over fwy.
At the next intersection,(stop sign) turn left to Roslyn.
Keep going, past Ronald, and on for what may seem like a long ways
When you get to Salmon-Le-Sac campground, look for a gravel road, leading up to the right.
Follow road up past marker 7. (yes that's miles)
Arrows (orange with black arrow) should direct you to the camp.

Other than teh normal riding events we are having Karaoke and dinner Saturday night. We wear a tie for dinner....if you do not bring one....one will be provided. (lol...what a bunch of goof balls)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Rat Pac is a must see, the backside of the ridge on the east side of the lake on Salmon la Sac are full of backcountry technical mountain XC, like the W. Fork Teanaway trail. There is a shuttle XC ride i like to do up there.... Also down the road from Cle Elum across the freeway there's a ton of trails at Taneum. You can try Fishhooks Flats, that's a pretty popular trail, not very technical but pretty fast, just gotta look out for babyhead rocks that dirtbikes stir up.
There's a bike shop in Cle Elum, maybe you can get more tips in there, or maybe pick up a ride. Also buying some maps and a compass will go a long way, there is a TON of good riding in that area.....

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Fish Lake is 10 miles up a gravel road past Salmon la Sac. That may be where you're motorcycle club is headed??

Yes, yes, I've gotten some info. on RatPac, I just might check that out. but is the gate always shut? And is the trail fun on a XC bike? I have a hardtail with a seized front fork and a Big Hit so I'm thinking I'll take the Big Hit but sad times for the climb up the road . .

C'mon, you don't think someone would let you ride their dirtbike? I'll ask for ya, I'd much rather do a motorized tour over there!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Megan Black said:
Fish Lake is 10 miles up a gravel road past Salmon la Sac. That may be where you're motorcycle club is headed??

Yes, yes, I've gotten some info. on RatPac, I just might check that out. but is the gate always shut? And is the trail fun on a XC bike? I have a hardtail with a seized front fork and a Big Hit so I'm thinking I'll take the Big Hit but sad times for the climb up the road . .

C'mon, you don't think someone would let you ride their dirtbike? I'll ask for ya, I'd much rather do a motorized tour over there!
Hmmmm maybe if not we will be close. I am tenting it up there and our club always has lots of free pop and beer for visitors.

Rat Pac I am guessing is closed now since the fire danger is so high. I rode it on my Free ride bike and my XC bike and since I don't do the huge stuff I have to say I enjoyed it more on my XC bike. I have a cheapy Spec Hardrock Pro disk with a Judy TT (so I can relate to the seized fork thing ;) ) RP is absolutely enjoyable with a XC bike. But there is stuff there for the bigger bikes also. If you are a good climber the road isn't terrible....I however die each time and curse the day I ever jumped on a bike :D when I hike up....normally in 80-90 degree weather and sun beating down. I am not a happy camper. lol

You ride motorcycles too? My club has organized rides so you can tag along with the groups. We normally have 3 groups. The Juniors (18 and under normally hot shots) the Ladies (more laid back and sight seeing) and the Men (mixed bag, you have the ragers and the sight see'rs) You are welcome to check out the camp fire and Kareoke stuff too.

I guess we are camping next to a creek?
From our newsletter:
"We will camp on the left along the creek if the space is open, otherwise we will camp on the right side at the base of trail 4W301 (about 20 yards off the road)."

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Megan Black said:
I will try to show up cause I gotta rock the Kareoke at least once!

Thanks all for the great info!
Generally we are not hard to miss....lots of rigs and plenty of people.

The club is the StumpJumpers (www.stumpjumpers.org) a family oriented motorcycle club.

I drive a Blue 2000 Dodge Dakota Xcab 2wd and will most likely have my Spec HardRock HT in the back of my truck in the rack when I am not riding it. Next to the truck will mostlikely be a Green Coleman tent. if you find all three items....Blue dakota, Spec HardRock, and a Green Tent....odds are I am near by. Ask for Kevin Dahlen (Doll-N)

Here is my DH bike and my tuck is in the background.

My HT frame:

Cable_Guy

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Hey i believe the gate to go up rat pac is open. I'd be glad to show you guys around being as i can't ride at the moment. just pm me or something
Peace

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Cable_Guy said:
Hey i believe the gate to go up rat pac is open. I'd be glad to show you guys around being as i can't ride at the moment. just pm me or something
Peace
Really! :sneaky:

I figured since the forest fires there recently that the gates would be shut.

You sure they are open? Can you ride the coal hills?.....They are usually good for a cheap thrill before heading out.

You can't ride? Bike broken or are you borken?

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Cable_Guy said:
Peace
Yes, I just read the story on your other thread, sorry to hear that man.

A group of people I know also came down from last weekend at Whistler. One person blowing up at the same spot you did, breaking his wrist (I think)

I have see more people get hauled out of that "first" jump on A-line. the whole dang trail sends more people to the ER, I swear . .

but, I would feel better helping you make some good out of this, I definitely be down for a shuttle up RatPac ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Holy crap, my company is having their camping trip up there too....:eek:

Just sent an email out today :rolleyes:

Cle Elum River Group Site.
Directions:
I-90 east. Go over the pass to the Rosalyn/Salmon La Sac, Exit 80 - State Highway 903 north for 13 miles through Roslyn then Ronald, to the campground. Follow signs to Salmon la Sac.
If you go into Cle Elum (next exit after Roslyn / Salmon la Sac, (New Safeway store) follow the signs out of Cle Elum back to Roslyn / Salmon la Sac.
Turn left into campground. At the "T" turn right into the Group Site. Salmon la Sac is another camp ground, 4 miles up the road with good swimming & 4 wheeling roads.
Talk about be spread thin.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
hmm . . checking out the website, looks cool. have ya ever done that event before? what kinds of "stunts" are they talking about? did i read right that it's going on next weekend, too?

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
It's a fam thing I'm obligated to this weekend over in in E. WA, I'm squeezing RatPac in while I'm there for sanity's sake....but if you guys are going next weekend to that event, that would be awesome to hang with ya :)

If that's not an option at the CBC thing, I'll be at Whistler...

Ooh, ooh, and the NEXT weekend I'm going to Mt. Washington for my first crack at a DH race.

Fun times lined up here . . .

Megan Black said:
It's a fam thing I'm obligated to this weekend over in in E. WA, I'm squeezing RatPac in while I'm there for sanity's sake....but if you guys are going next weekend to that event, that would be awesome to hang with ya :)

If that's not an option at the CBC thing, I'll be at Whistler...

Ooh, ooh, and the NEXT weekend I'm going to Mt. Washington for my first crack at a DH race.

Fun times lined up here . . .

no the race is this weekend, but whats the Mt. Washington race? That might be fun!

and Whistler is always good!

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
bibs said:
no the race is this weekend, but whats the Mt. Washington race? That might be fun!

and Whistler is always good!
BC Cup finals: www.bccupfinals.com

Sounds like a pretty big deal from the feedback I got, but I just wanted to go and take it easy and feel out the race siteation. So far I'm going solo and the whole idea racks my nerves so if anyone wants to go, that would be super :)

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Good to here that I wont be the lone American racing. There's free camping in the parking lot, with use of the showers, etc from the lodge next door.
Looks like some generous practice times, should be fun. And only $35 CDN.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I might be talked into that. I've been meaning to get out to Mt. Washington all season. You'll want to carpool after you see what the ferry costs. Especially with bikes on the roof.
Can you say Crew Cab? :thumb:

buildyourown said:
I might be talked into that. I've been meaning to get out to Mt. Washington all season. You'll want to carpool after you see what the ferry costs. Especially with bikes on the roof.

Lets do it, call me tonite!..lets plan it! I know there is a friend that can show us some trails on the island...D where you at? get the group together and camp and it should be good! and a real race!:thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
buildyourown said:
Um...... Got room? When would you go? Up Friday night, or saturday? If we were to commit to this i may just have to give up riding saturday....... I think Mt warshington sounds more fun than CBC race. Ive also been really wanting to hit that place but distance and cost are always the bugger.... but if we pool up then it might be worth while.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
bibs said:
Lets do it, call me tonite!..lets plan it! I know there is a friend that can show us some trails on the island...D where you at? get the group together and camp and it should be good! and a real race!:thumb:
Me the D you mean? I think i could work this one into the mix. Might cost me a tad in weekend time, but what the heck.... gotta get away sometimes.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
fine print......

http://www.bccupfinals.com/ITTDRegistration.PDF

look at the botton right corner regarding licences..... since my NORBA card is washed out i might have to find that recipt.... i think my norba is good through august. Would they make me race sport since thats what i haev a license for? I upgraded online, but never recieved a new card.....

Other goodies:

Schedule of events:
http://www.bccupfinals.com/ITTDSchedule.pdf

Accommodations:
http://www.bccupfinals.com/accom.php

DH specific:
http://www.bccupfinals.com/dh.php

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bibs said:
Yo! Cory it looks like we might be heading up to this race too!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I could go up friday after work, but cant take a day off. Ive been taking too many play days as of late. cant you make reservations on the ferry? That way wwe are sure to get on? If theres no other option then ill go with the flow. But im totally down for this trip.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
I could go up friday after work, but cant take a day off. Ive been taking too many play days as of late. cant you make reservations on the ferry? That way wwe are sure to get on? If theres no other option then ill go with the flow. But im totally down for this trip.
We can probably head up after work on Friday, but can't take the day off either. Yes, you can make reservations on the ferry.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Depending on the lodging situation, sat early to sunday late will be cheaper, Alot also depends on ferry schedule. Ive been over in the past to nanimo from tawassen (vancouver). Who plans to stay where? Snacks found a cheap place in the village, but is it booked yet? I know there isnt a ton of stuff right at the MTN base. the local town is a ways away also....